AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I have setup a 11.1 system from def tech, the only thing i need are the ST-L Super towers that I preordered from a Mongolia Best Buy, but they keep telling me they have been pushed back another month. does anyone have any idea on an actual release date to come out to the public ? So far the guy at best buy said mid December.   http://www.definitivetech.com/products/mythos-st-l

I hope dropping 5k on these is really worth it. I have the New Denon  9.2 and was looking at getting a Parasound A 51 5 Channel Power Amplifier (just for the two ST-L's), I also bought a pair of Monster M2.4S Bi-wire cables to go from the receiver/amp to the ST-L's

Is there anyone else looking at getting these (ST-L) speakers ?  If so, whats your input ?

My System:

(Left & Right) - Mythos ST-L SuperTower  

·
Banned
3,677 Posts
Oh my god! Do not blow $5,000.00 on those speakers! You can do much better for that price! I have owned plenty of Def Tech speakers, and although some of which I did enjoy, such as my BP-30's, for their bipolar effect which is kind of cool in movies, but their Mythos line is in my opinion a terrible value. For $5,000.00 you can get a JTR Noises setup for your mains, or some really nice Sierra Towers and Horizon Center! Those will beat the Mythos in every single category when it comes to sound quality, build quality, and will leave enough room in your budget for a pair of awesome subs! I just cringe when I see threads like this when some "low information" person is about to drop some major coin on a big box setup that is a terrible value!

·
Registered
1,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007  /t/1502678/mythos-st-l-supertower#post_24013543

Oh my god! Do not blow $5,000.00 on those speakers! You can do much better for that price! I have owned plenty of Def Tech speakers, and although some of which I did enjoy, such as my BP-30's, for their bipolar effect which is kind of cool in movies, but their Mythos line is in my opinion a terrible value. For $5,000.00 you can get a JTR Noises setup for your mains, or some really nice Sierra Towers and Horizon Center! Those will beat the Mythos in every single category when it comes to sound quality, build quality, and will leave enough room in your budget for a pair of awesome subs! I just cringe when I see threads like this when some "low information" person is about to drop some major coin on a big box setup that is a terrible value!

I have never heard those new ST-L, but if they sound at least as good as the Mythos ST, you will be one lucky listener!

It is difficult (impossible) to give a credible opinion about a speaker I have never heard though...(hum, hum...)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Please go and audition these speakers. My brother has the Mythos ST and all I can say is "wow". It's an incredible speaker for the price and I think a good buy at $5k for the ST-L. My own listening is done on paradigm studio 20 speakers with Sunfire subwoofers; system being driven by an Anthem amp. The coherence of the built in sub on the mythos cannot be easily replicated on a 2.1 system. The mythos is leagues ahead of the other DefTech offerings.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
In my experience def tech greatly exaggerates their specs. I still own a def tech sub and I can tell you it's frequency response is no where near what is claimed. Def techs arent bad speakers, but there are better ones out there that cost less.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have owned a number of Def Tech as well and stil have a pair of SM350 that I'm using as surrounds. They do sound good but I do have to agree that their specs are a bit generous. Had the Mythos 1 as Front L/R and Mythos 8 center - they sounded good but a sub was a must for music too - I upgraded to KEF R900 front and R600 center and like the sound much better - but listening is subjective and I admit I haven't heard the STs.

·
Registered
32 Posts

I have really enjoyed the performance of these ST-L speakers--quite satisfied indeed.

I am using them with a 7.1 setup accompanied with an SC8000 sub and Mythos Ten center/L-/R-front-high configuration.

·
Registered
602 Posts
How did you arrive at the location that the ST-L's are in? Did you experiment or was there another method?

Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oOOBillO0o  /t/1502678/mythos-st-l-supertower#post_24461344

How did you arrive at the location that the ST-L's are in? Did you experiment or was there another method?

Thanks!
This informal living room setup is at the end of an open bay (kitchen, informal dinning area, then informal living room with fireplace).  The large sectional couch is against the wall and more-or-less centered on the HDTV.  The ST-L speakers are placed on each side of the "media" cabinet which is centered about the HDTV.

This is a compromise setup which is working out great!

Of note, the front high speakers are not placed per the recommended 7.1 specification--however they are delivering the vertical and overhead/wide sound scapes in impressive measures.  I suppose it is like the center channel phenomena; the center channel is not directly behind the mouth of the talking head--however, the listener perceives that the dialog is emanating from the actor's mouth.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hey, as long as it sounds great. I also have a receiver that offers the "presence" channels - which means if it has it, I have to use it.

I was thinking about running the left and right speakers as far into the room before other factors push them back. ;-) Then using the receivers room correction feature to adjust the sound for movies.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martycool007  /t/1502678/mythos-st-l-supertower#post_24013543

What he said- having owned a pair of mythos ST before, I think they are very overrated. They were decent, but when you weigh in the price factor they just weren't worth it.

Call up Jeff at JTR and get some noesis!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Speaking from a person who knows a bit about audio - and recently decided to set up my media room:

Mythos ST-L x2

CS-8080HD Center

UIW RSS In-Walls

UIW RCS In-Ceilings

Marantz MM8077 Amp

Marantz AV7701 Pre-Amp

Oppo BD 103-Darbee

Sony VPL-HW55ES Projector

Screen Innovations 110" Zero Edge Black Diamond 1.4

All wires from AudioQuest (5% silver or higher) and power cables

Panamax power for all components

Come on over to my house and try to tell me my ST-L's sound weak or overpriced, I would happily switch out my setup for a better and cheaper solution.............show me the way Yoda's :p

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Those Mythos ST sounds great. I have a pair of those. And still using it. But soon my whole Def Tech line in my HT is going in my master bedroom. As I'm 100% switching to JTR's. Right now, for subs I'm using 4 JTR S2's (one S2 has 2 18"driver and a 4000 watts dsp amp) with my Def Techs. They match very well. But the Def Techs won't keep up with the JTR subs when you push em. I also went through a few DT subs also and still have them in my storage. Dual SCII and dual SC Refs. Never heard the Mythos ST-L's before.

·
Registered
602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoChan  /t/1502678/mythos-st-l-supertower/0_100#post_24581610

Speaking from a person who knows a bit about audio - and recently decided to set up my media room:

Mythos ST-L x2

CS-8080HD Center

UIW RSS In-Walls

UIW RCS In-Ceilings

Marantz MM8077 Amp

Marantz AV7701 Pre-Amp

Oppo BD 103-Darbee

Sony VPL-HW55ES Projector

Screen Innovations 110" Zero Edge Black Diamond 1.4

All wires from AudioQuest (5% silver or higher) and power cables

Panamax power for all components

Come on over to my house and try to tell me my ST-L's sound weak or overpriced, I would happily switch out my setup for a better and cheaper solution.............show me the way Yoda's :p

Sounds like a great system. Can you share a photo? (regarding your last sentence, I recommentd that you try not to feed the trolls, they will drag this thread away from it's purpose by debating your system)

Reactions: VooBass

·
Registered
1,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhed  /t/1502678/mythos-st-l-supertower#post_24581623

Those Mythos ST sounds great. I have a pair of those. And still using it. But soon my whole Def Tech line in my HT is going in my master bedroom. As I'm 100% switching to JTR's. Right now, for subs I'm using 4 JTR S2's (one S2 has 2 18"driver and a 4000 watts dsp amp) with my Def Techs. They match very well. But the Def Techs won't keep up with the JTR subs when you push em. I also went through a few DT subs also and still have them in my storage. Dual SCII and dual SC Refs. Never heard the Mythos ST-L's before.

This kind of sums it up, you get to the higher volumes and they just can't keep up. It's more or less the small size of the drivers then anything else. They are fine for most people though. I enjoyed my pair when I had them, just ended up going with something that had higher max spl to keep up with my subs.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Looks like they put a much larger amp on the sub driver, which I felt was a glaring weakness in the ST. That driver always seemed to have more gas in the tank then the amp. Looks like different 5.25in drivers too. I really hope it's everything that definitive claims it is. I was a bit disappointed with the ST, but I was always looking for 125+db output so probably was just setting myself up for failure. I only paid 1100 for the pair I had 4 years ago though at a pawn shop.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mythos ST vs Mythos STL vs Martin Logan Theos

I have had the Mythos ST speakers for the past 5 years and I love them. So when I heard about the STLs I didn't think they could improve them enough for me to upgrade. But a couple of days ago I ran into a really good deal and ended up with Mythos STL as well as Martin Logan Theos speakers. I have not done any speaker reviews or comparisons before, but this website has helped me learn a lot about audio equipment, so I though I would give something back.

My living room is 20 feet by 40 feet. I have a 200 inch projection screen. Mythos ST for main speakers, Mythos 10 for center and a Def tech SuperCube Reference for Sub woofer. My amplifier is Marantz 7005. I use Audyssey EQ to set up the speakers.

First I compared the Mythos ST to the Mythos STL side by side. All the listening was done in Stereo mode so only the main speakers and the Sub woofer was active. I used the A/B speaker switch on my Marantz to switch between the speakers. The Mythos STLs we actually a great deal better than the STs. The mid range and vocals were so much more clearer. The Bass was even tighter and deeper with the better subs on the STLs.

Next I compared the STLs to Martin Logan Theos. Again side by side in Stereo mode. I was expecting the Martin Logans to be very close to the STLs since both are about $5,000 a pair. I was wrong. The STLs were way ahead of the Martin Logans. I even reconfigured Audyssey EQ to work with Martin Logan, but STLs still sounded much better. My 19 year old daughter who is not into high end audio equipment said that the Martin Logan merged the instruments together while the Def tech kept all the instruments and the singer's voice separated.

The STLs were louder than Theos so I adjusted for that. I made sure the Theos was at least 2 feet away from all walls, while I placed the STL closer to the wall. STLs still came out ahead by a long shot. Now I am tempted to do a comparison between the old Mythos ST vs Theos.

Bottom line, I was surprised at how much better the new Mythos STL was compared to ST and at the risk of ticking off some Martin Logan fans, the STL was far superior to Theos. I even gave my wife a blind test and she easily picked the STL sound over the Martin Logan.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts