AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been experimenting with playing my MythTV recordings via the mythtv plugins into XBMC (and its derivatives, Plex and Boxee). I have not been thrilled with the Mac version of MythFrontEnd. The stability is sometimes poor, and the quality of playback is not always great. I seem to always be fighting the app to keep it working well.

So, I have been giving the XBMC apps a try, because I like the interface and the video quality is top notch.

There are several options for hooking myth into XBMC, including an internal native source support (myth://user
[email protected]) and a few scripts that plug into XBMC. When they work, they are quite nice. But, I have not found any to work reliably and responsively.

- I have found all the variants to be relatively equal in Myth support.

- The internal myth protocol support worked best for me, but I didn't get far with the script plugin options.

- It seems like some of the plug-ins are not being developed. I'm not sure which if any are actively maintained and updated.

Have any others here been trying this? Any reports of what works best for you?

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The one I have found to be most useful thus far is "mythbox", a python script plugin to XBMC. It works pretty reliably, and integrates well with xbmc.

With XBMC in general, I have had some video playback glitches -- I get a distortion 1/4 from the top or bottom of the screen. It looks a bit like the "tearing" you see in some video apps, but the effect is a little different, more like a line of blur. Maybe it is tearing + deinterlace or scaling.

The other option I may go with is to mount the Myth video directory from my Mac Mini, and run the mythrename script in a cron job to give the videos meaningful names. That cuts out more variables, but loses MythTV features (some of which have XBMC equivalents, like bookmarks)

·
Registered
465 Posts
A couple random thoughts.

For me, .21-fixes has never had as good playback as I got with .20.2. The frontend sometimes hangs at the end of playing a recording. (And often when my 12 yo son has his hands on the remote?!?) To be fair, the backend on OS X is stable as a rock. In more than 2 years, I believe I have had exactly one backend crash. And far fewer missed recordings than I had with EyeTV previously.

Myth .22 is expected to be released "before October". It has a number of interesting-looking features (including HDHomerun multi-rec support). The new user interface allows themers to generate some very pretty screens. Perhaps OS X playback will improve.

As well, there have been 'hints' recently that video playback on Mac mini systems with the GMA950 are about to get a sizable boost. There must be a NDA or other constraint as the hinters won't provide any details.

Craig

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvr4Craig /forum/post/17053947

A couple random thoughts.

For me, .21-fixes has never had as good playback as I got with .20.2. The frontend sometimes hangs at the end of playing a recording. (And often when my 12 yo son has his hands on the remote?!?)

I've noticed the same thing.. this is largely what got me looking for alternatives. It's hard to determine exactly what will change in the OSX version of .22, but in the commits I browsed I didn't see any video playback changes.

Quote:
As well, there have been 'hints' recently that video playback on Mac mini systems with the GMA950 are about to get a sizable boost. There must be a NDA or other constraint as the hinters won't provide any details.

Yeah, I saw that too. It wasn't clear to me whether they were talking about Linux or OSX. I am hoping they are talking about OSX, and it is related to the upcoming Snow Leopard release. It would be really nice if there was already code to take advantage of the video acceleration capabilities in Snow Leopard. I guess we'll know Friday if that's the NDA getting in the way.

·
Registered
44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tji /forum/post/17054493

Yeah, I saw that too. It wasn't clear to me whether they were talking about Linux or OSX. I am hoping they are talking about OSX, and it is related to the upcoming Snow Leopard release. It would be really nice if there was already code to take advantage of the video acceleration capabilities in Snow Leopard. I guess we'll know Friday if that's the NDA getting in the way.

It will be usable under OSX/Linux/Windows and no, this work has nothing to do with OSX 10.6.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts