AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently came across some NEAR ael speakers brand new in box, my dilemma is they do not have a data sheet and I would hate to ruin them by under powering or over powering for that matter. If anyone can help it would be much appreciated I believe from the manual they are either ael 1.4 or 1.6. I will admit I had never heard of NEAR so I know nothing about them. Thanks in advance for any assistance!!!

P.S. I have included a picture of the receiver that was also brand new and was wondering if it is a good pair or no

Attachments

·
Registered
19,788 Posts
Good find - looks like the speakers can take more power than the receiver can give - KLH was not
real powerful.

Just be moderate to begin with - you can raise the volume - just note when you raise the volume
and the sound does not get louder, then turn it back - to prevent nasty distortion which can/will
cause damage.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I kind of figured it was small for them since they are loudspeakers, but honestly what worried me was reading the instruction manual and finding underpowering a speaker can ruin it. Who knows I'm still cleaning the house out and may find the amp he was going to use. Any advice on where I should be with an amp? He also has two adcom switchers I ended up with and a pair of vintage ar's I would like to see rebuilt.

·
Registered
19,788 Posts
I would want a good clean 50 watts per channel to drive them - NEAR did make some good stuff.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I will have to see what I have for a receiver, as a novice and I imagine I can find the answer on this site but if my receiver says 100 per channel what am I really getting on average?

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
I would hate to ruin them by under powering or over powering for that matter.
There's no such thing. If an amp doesn't have adequate power to drive the speakers to full output it may clip, which would sound bad. If an amp has a lot more power available than the speakers can make use of they may distort if played too loud. In both cases the cure is to turn the volume down. Simple.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay see I had never heard that and read it and was just a bit worried, the only higher end stuff I have owned was when I was younger and didn't care about quality. Hence why I don't have it anymore ha.

·
Registered
19,788 Posts
Ok I will have to see what I have for a receiver, as a novice and I imagine I can find the answer on this site but if my receiver says 100 per channel what am I really getting on average?
In most cases the current (modern) receivers that say 100 watts per channel, can hit their mark and more
in 2 channel stereo. And the harmonic distortion rate is low. In surround channel mode, that is when they
become less efficient. >> However most of us in room, only use 25 to 50 watts - however you need room in
the receiver/amp, to have headroom to handle clean dynamic peaks.

Some of the older cheapy receivers do not do as well, and can have higher distortion - plus struggle with
speakers that have a nominal impedance below 8 ohms.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I feel like I would have saved some pretty good speakers if I had known that in the past. So thank you very much for clarifying it I think it will be integral in me ever owning anything nice.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
Also someone talks about clipping at "under power" levels ruining tweeters and that seems to always happen to me.
The increased high frequency power density that accompanies clipping can burn out tweeters. That increased power density is the result of high THD, which sounds bad, and at levels that will burn out tweeters it sounds very bad. It's when you ignore the fact that it sounds very bad and don't turn the volume down that your tweeters, and wallet, suffer the consequences.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
New additions to the gear I found. The ar speakers are 2ax, he wants me to take some bigger speakers but I don't know which to choose two are bsa two are klh and the others I don't know yet. Also got a spool of monster xp question here is, is that amp good and will it power those aels?

Attachments

·
Registered
19,788 Posts
That link is for the Carver Power amp 900. The Receiver MXR-900 is rated at 100 watts/channel, with 150 watts peak.
I had the MXR-150 years ago. Beautiful receiver, but they all have an issue with the output relays. Parts seem to be cheap, however.
John
Your right - my bad on the download

1 - 20 of 23 Posts