Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

My tv and reciever are being delivered on Monday and I am working with Fairfax Antenna to have the SAT and OTA installed. I am planning on the CM4248 for the OTA antenna. I was just wondering what other antennas the people in my area are using and what HD channels you are able to recieve. I live in between Wilson and Washington BLVD near Patrick Henry in North Arlington.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
Chris,

I will be very interested to hear how your antenna-ing goes. Are you in the hilly part of Arlington? How high of a mast are you having Fairfax Antenna install?

Where I live in the heart of downtown Washington, "Antenna Hill" where all the Washington DC antenna towers are located completely blocks my line-of-sight to the Baltimore towers, so I will be curious to hear if you're able to pull in the Baltimore stations (especially WMAR-DT, the Baltimore ABC affiliate).

------------------
Sc>cc>oc>tc>tc> Gc>ac>mc>mc>ac>nc>sc>
Visit the Scooterplex
Let's hear it for Enterprise on HDNet!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hi Chris,

Fairfax Antenna installed my CM4248, CM9521 rotor, and Winegard AP-4800 preamp. I get all the DC and Balto stations at 85 strength on the DTC meter.

Make sure they install a ground on the mast and the coax.

Thanks,

Errol

------------------
Keohi HDTV

Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site

·
Registered
165 Posts
Extracts from an earlier post:

"I'm on Fairfax County Pkwy in Springfield. I have a Winegard PR 3072 UHF/VHF Antenna mounted on my chimney. OK for DC, but had to add AP8700 Winegard preamp to get Baltimore, a requirement for me because WJLA 7 must be the worst DTV (4:3, no HD, not even passthrough)in the US and I wanted to see ABC lineup in HD.

With a rotor, (I use the 9527 Channelmaster IR rotor - yet another remote controller)- I usally get all the 60 mile distant Bal. stations without difficulty, but from my location it requires fairly precise pointing. If they were broadcasting in full power, might be OK, but who knows when that will happen. ABC balt (2) is at 16 degrees, 45 fox at 35d and Annapolis at 80d from here. I can't get them without pointing. Local channel 66 is broadcasting 4 digital channels, and that requires a swing around to the Nwest to see them. By the way, you can't use your current reception to judge your likelyhood of getting DTV -I can barely get Balt channel 45, but their DTV signal is loud and clear (as any DTV signal you actually get will be - point is that I can get it) -Same for Channel 2 -VHF signal is poor, but all three DTV channels are usually good. "

Fairfax Antenna put it up.

JohnW

·
Registered
979 Posts
Chris--

The first thing you should do is check out antennaweb.org to give you some idea of the azimuths to the Wash and Baltimore stations. You may find that the view from North Arlington needs up to 45 deg of beamwidth coverage to capture both Wash and Balt DTV stations. If this is the case, the 4248 may have too much directionality. A possible alternative is the CM3021 4-bay bowtie. Its gain specs are almost as good as the 4248, and its the antenna I have with the following results in west Alexandria. Your results should be better, depending on your elevation.

48 WRC (Wash) - low to medium signal, but usually stable

36 WTTG (Wash) - good signal

39 WJLA (Wash) - excellent signal (but pathetic 480i)

34 WUSA (Wash) - excellent signal

27 WETA (Wash) - medium signal, sometimes flaky encoder

52 WMAR (Balt) - medium signal, stable

59 WBAL (Balt) - low to medium signal, but usually stable

38 WJZ (Balt) - very low signal, not reliable

--Gerald C

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP!

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
Gerald-

What about the very directional 4248 (or a Winegard CA-9095) with a rotor? Wouldn't that give him (and me from Woodbridge) sort of the best of both worlds in terms of avoiding multi-path side signals, and getting a specific bead on Wash and Baltimore signals, as the rotor would supposedly be fairly exact?? Advise please?

Oh, and which is the ABC affiliate in Baltimore> I'm not familiar w/ the Balt letters.

[This message has been edited by WOLVERNOLE (edited 10-03-2001).]

·
Registered
739 Posts
Chris hi,

I don't live very far from you at all . I live off of braddock rd and russel rd near quaker ln and i use a Winegard CA 9065 UHF for locals but because of where we are located i needed to add a second antena and point it in a different direction to get the baltimore/annapolis stations. In order to get both sat's since there so far apart you might need to do the same thing. My friend in herndon did the same set up but he used an atic antenna for his second local . you might also want ot add an antenna buster for the antenna pointing toward baltimore.

good luck

carlos

------------------

"He who dies with the most toys wins". unless its home theater we die broke!!! Let The Games Begin

·
Registered
739 Posts
Gerald hi,

Yes a rotor will work fine if you want to be playing with the darn thing all the time to get the sat. signal, and the CA 9095 is a great antenna. but if you don't want the hassel of having to adjust all the time the best set up is 2 antenna's pointing at the 2 diff. signals. the the price is about the same as i antenna rotor buster/amp etc. etc.

let us know has it goes

good luck

carlos

------------------

"He who dies with the most toys wins". unless its home theater we die broke!!! Let The Games Begin

·
Registered
979 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WOLVERNOLE:
Gerald-

What about the very directional 4248 (or a Winegard CA-9095) with a rotor?
As has been said, the rotor may work just fine, but it will also be another thing to adjust and fiddle with. Tweaking and dialing may be fun for a few days, but then it's nothing but annoying. I would only use a rotor if absolutely necessary. The original poster lives fairly close-in, and depending on terrain, may get fine signal strength with a lower gain (and less directional) antenna.

--Gerald C

------------------
STOP DVI/HDCP!

[This message has been edited by Gerald C (edited 10-04-2001).]

·
Registered
107 Posts
I live in Burke, off Old Keen Mill. Last week I picked up a medium-sized VHF-UHF antenna and an in-line amp from Radio Shack just to experiment. I just threw the antenna in the attic with no mast and rotor and got all the local channels (27,34,36,39,43&48) without having to do much. I also got excellent VHF reception to boost. They worked so well and so hassel-free that I think I'll keep them.

tixin.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the replys. Fairfax Antenna is coming to do the install on Thursday. The tech I talked with recommended a Winegard (of course I forgot the model number) that he said is smaller than the CM4248. He believed that based on my location and his experience that it would work and be less intrusive. I will let you know how it goes in a week.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hi ya folks,

I have the CM9521 rotor that is programmable and remote controlled. Hence, I dial in the direction for a specific group of antenna and that's about it. If I want Balto, I enter via the remote keypad the number set in memory and it points the antenna automatically. Very simple and easy. Of course, I don't do this often. I normally just tune in to DC stations, but in instances where the DC stations have their annoying logos, I switch over to Balto. Also, having two aerials on my roof probably would be pushing it with my neighbors. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Thanks,

Errol

------------------
Keohi HDTV

Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site

·
Registered
310 Posts
I live in Cameron Station in Alexandria and have my home theater in my 4th floor loft. I'm able to pick up all the DC and Baltimore NBC and CBS affiliates and the Baltimore ABC affiliate (I've never tried to get our terrible WJAL station). I can also pick up the D.C. FOX station, though it is the weakest signal and I can pull in the Manassas PAX station. --> ALL OF THIS WITH MY $17 RADIOSHACK DOUBLE-BOWTIE ANTENNA SITTING ATOP MY MITS 65819 hooked to my Mitsubishi HD5.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm in east Springfield. With a Channel Master UHF only antenna in the attic, a Channel Master preamp and no rotor I can pick up all DC and Baltimore stations with at least 75% strength. PAX does come in, but because the antenna is pointed in the wrong direction it tends to break up a lot.

I tried a Radio Shack UHF antenna before getting the Channel Master model and my reception was much worse. Also I used to live in Ft. Washington, MD and from there I could pick up all DC stations but none of the Baltimore ones.

Tomasz

·
Registered
322 Posts
How much have y'all paid to have your installers put in your antennas?

And for those of you in the attic, how hard was it to fish the cable down to your STBs?

Lastly, do oval DirecTV Dishes come with the necessary nuts and bolts or are you required to buy the accessory kit?

Opie

Alexandria, VA

·
Registered
829 Posts
I'm in Burke near intersection of Roberts and Burke Centre Pkwy. Got Dish 6000 with OTA module on Monday. RS double bowtie gave me NBC, CBS, and FOX but I had to move it a little for each channel, even then dropouts were routine. Fairfax Antenna installed the Winegard 9065 this morning for their standard price of $267.50, the installer was good and took about 2.5 hours. Now have all NBC, CBS, FOX, WETA and ABC (WJLA junk only)stations locked in very strong. Installer indicated Baltimore would not be available even with pre-amp based on the available signal strength he could read. I had hoped for better. I have a good clear line of sight to the NE with minimal tree interference, hopefully it will stay that way when leaves are on the trees.

·
Registered
322 Posts
GC3:

I had Fairfax install my antenna as well. Nice guys. Anyway, I was told that a pre-amp would do little good, but we decided to try it anyway (same antenna). Lo and behold, WMAR went from like 35 to 70. Have them try the Winegard 4700 and see if it helps. My installer was surprised at the results.

If your OTA feed enters your attic, you can test the amp there without going on your roof (that's where mine is installed).

Incidentally, the stronger 4800 Winegard amp made my signal strength worse. Also, my buddy had Fairfax install his antenna in Reston, and his reception was also worse with the amp. I think this varies on a case-by-base basis, but you should give it a try. If you can put it in yourself to test, you can order the 4700 from Stark for like $45 with shipping. Otherwise you can have Fairfax give it a shot.

Opie

·
Registered
167 Posts
Burke VA

Attic

Wingard 4 bay bowtie (like the CM 4228) and the CM UHF 7775 preamp.

Using Hipix

CBS ch 34 (85)

WETA ch 27 (75)

WRC ch 48 (75)

ABC ch 39 (85)

WTTG ch 36 (55) intermittent.

I can tune for ch 36 but I lose some others. I got it when they boosted power for the superbowl.

No Baltimore stations.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Opie

Thanks for the input. I wish I would have had the Fairfax guy at least try out the preamp. I have to get out on the 40 foot roof to test it out myself, and I'd rather not. I am getting channel 59 (NBC Baltimore) locking in just fine (signal above 70 ) though w/o preamp, but nothing at all on channel 52 (ABC Baltimore).

I posted on the WJLA website forum, asking when they plan to start passing the national 720P feed, and they responded this summer, after they move to a new facility. Maybe I'll just wait it out....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.