AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I'm building a soffit ceiling for my theater room which will have LED tape lighting run around the perimeter of the room in the soffit. The soffit is about 20' x 7' square. I have one power source location (a standard 120v duplex plug).

I was thinking of using the following LED lights, 12 volt, 4-in-1 SMD 5050, about 6A per 5M:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5050-RGBW-R...4-Chip-SMD-Lamp-Light-Wholesale-/222013720502

A 20'x7' room would thereby need about 16.5 meters. So I was thinking of using the following controller for this which has a wireless controller/receiver that is 12v 8A per channel (there are 4 channels, RGBW):

http://shop.ledwholesalers.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=39_82_101&product_id=789

And this 12 volt, 350 watt power supply/driver:

http://shop.ledwholesalers.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=40_109&product_id=193

My plan is to run two runs in either direction around the room so the ends meet on the other side of the room, but I really would love some double checking on my math so I don't explode my living room into fireworks of colour.

--------------------------------------------------

My math:
LED strip uses 6A per 5M, so for all 16.5M i would require 19.8A of power for all the strips which at 12 volts is 237 watts. Add on an additional 20% buffer I need about 285 Watts, so i believe the 350 watt 12v power supply should be sufficient.

Each LED run (in either direction around the room) would have a 5M strip, daisy chained with a 3.25M strip. The controller/receiver has 2 outputs for each channel and can support up to 8A per channel. These strips being 6A total would be about 1.5A per channel. Running 4 strips off this controller would yeild max 6A per channel so this being an 8A should have a little extra room.

This being a 5 pin LED strip, R+G+B+W+Power, I believe that I would need to run a secondary power line to the start of the 3.25 M run which would also act as a dual feed for the 5M run. I think I only need to feed the power line and not the RGBW lines if I've researched properly.

Am I doing this correctly? I've attached a quick diagram of my plan. The RGBW lines and 12v power lines will be daisy chained with an additional power line split from the controller and run to the second strip in each run.

Thanks for any input!

Attachments

·
Registered
457 Posts
Should work.

You could take your secondary 12v feed to the end of the 3.25m run and connect the 5m & 3.25m runs together 12v-12v, R-R, G-G, B-B & W-W - so you'd be 'dual-feeding' the entire run. But your way would work too - just that your 3.25m bit would only get fed at one end. Either way there'll be a little voltage drop on one section or another - TBH, I have several 5m+ runs in my kitchen and I can't tell they've not been dual-fed - sometimes best not to over analyze these things!

Any reason you're going RGBW rather than vanilla RGB? I guess the extra brightness could be handy. Just curious.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I decided rgbw just so I could get some different white levels, warm white, cool white, and change the gamma for any of the rgb colors to match/offset my wall colors.

Thanks for the input, dual feeding from the end makes sense. I think I'll do that instead.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you happen to know, when dual feeding these types of strips, do I need to feed all pins (r, g, b, w , 12v) or only the 12v pin from the far end?

·
Registered
457 Posts
You can do either.

FWIW, I'd just link a 5m & 3m strip together in a standard fashion and test the results before bothering with the dual-feeding; you may find it perfectly acceptable without any extra work.

If you do decide to dual feed, then again I'd be inclined to have a trial setup with just the 12v feed before bothering with all 4 (5 for RGBW) lines.

HTH

1 - 5 of 5 Posts