AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Howdy! I am new around here and would be appreciative of any input or advice on speakers that will work best in my new space. I recently moved to a new home and would like to setup a nice 5.1 surround system in my great room. I am currently reading up on how centralized systems work because my ultimate goal is to just have a centralized system in a closet. However, I am pretty new to home audio and still learning a lot of new information. I have a solid basis in car audio and electronics in general, so I am learning quickly. I welcome any information, feedback, or ideas on speaker setups/brands/etc. that would sound best in my space. My initial thoughts are to go with towers and a center for the fronts and two in-wall speakers for the rear with a sub in the corner. I ordered a fully adjustable mount and I am planning on having the TV look like it is 'floating' in the space the TV sits now. I was thinking towers on either side and a high quality center channel underneath. What do y'all think? I want to spend no more than $1500 MAX including the subwoofer, but would be just as happy keeping my bill closer to $1,000 :) Below is my current space and setup. Thanks!

It is a very open room with a very tall vaulted ceiling.

Rear of room standing in front of TV:

Looking in from kitchen:

Front:

Rear:

Shot of ceiling/room from hallway:

Looking into kitchen from great room:

And P.S. there is usually a big rug on the floor in the great room in front of the couches.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
If you know about car audio, then you know that the bigger the space, the more subwoofer output you need. Then consider that the interior of an SUV is no bigger than a walk-in closet, and imagine how much sub it takes to fill that space you have. What are the room dimensions, including the kitchen, since the sub will see all of that?

Does your budget include buying a receiver, too? If so, put the bulk of your budget towards speaker and sub as that will give you the best SQ performance for your money.

Towers are not likely to offer you any value over good bookshelves if you buy a good subwoofer. With towers, you are paying for lower bass extension (which you don't need) and a larger enclosure.

For your room, I would recommend looking into HSU HB-1 MK2s and Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 SEs, assuming your budget does not include a receiver, too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Correct, my budget does not include a receiver. I have my eye on the SVSound cylinder subwoofers. I have heard good things about em. Thoughts? I have also read great things about the HSU's as well. I really want to do ceiling/inwall speakers for the rears. Any suggestions on rear speakers?

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
I don't know hardly anything about inwall speakers.

So how big is your room?

SVS Sound and HSU Research are two of the most highly recommended subwoofer companies in the AVS subwoofer forum . If you are interested in the SVS ported cylinder subs because of their small footprint, you certainly won't find anything more powerful for the money (and yes, they have excellent SQ). How will you afford one, though, with a $1500 budget for speakers, receiver, and sub? The PC12-NSD would eat up half your budget?

Also check accessory4less.com for their factory refurbished/factory warrantied receivers .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

My great room is roughly about 15x18. The kitchen is probably around 10x12. My buddy has an SVSound he might be looking to sell as he is looking to go a different route with his setup. I was planning on buying one used if I can. If I cannot find one used, I still should be ok, I think. $300 for two front speakers, $150-$200 for a center, and $250-$300 for a pair of in-walls, plus $750 for the sub will put me right at my max budget of $1500 for speakers. My budget is around $2000-$2500 all in with receiver and everything I need.....

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Sorry. I misunderstood. I thought you meant the receiver, too, in the rest of your budget.

So with your high ceilings in part, maybe 4,000 cubic feet? Usually people would look for one of the high output ported 12" subs like the SVS PC12-NSD, or better with that big a space. Also consider the Power Sound Audio XV15, HSU VTF-3 MK4, and SVS PB-2000 for around that same price. They are all equal in class, along with that PC12-NSD. The PB-2000 is the newer updated version of the PB12-NSD (more similar in amp and driver to the PC12-NSD). You could also grab a b-stock PB12-NSD for a good savings. No telling how long they will be around. Here's a review, with measurements, too: http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/pb12-nsd

The PSA XV15 was also measured by the same reviewer: http://www.audioholics.com/subwoofer-reviews/xv-15-subwoofer Josh Ricci, the reviewer, is acknowledged to be one of the more knowledgeable people reviewing subs, and he maintains an awesome home audio subwoofer database (click on the sub to go to more measurements).

For receivers, I suggest looking at either Onkyos or Denons with Audyssey MultEQ (or better version). Audyssey MultEQ room correction EQs both the speakers AND the sub to help smooth the in-room response (most room correction only does the speakers, and subs generally need help).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Thank you so much for all the information. I will start researching the recommended subs, speakers, and receivers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts