AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting together my first system. I've done a lot of research but I would like some personal opinions as well. I know sound is a very subjective area.

I came across a deal on a Yamaha RX-V675 that I couldn't pass up.
I haven't purchased speakers or a sub yet. For starters I am I am going to go with a 2.1 system.

I am pretty sold on the Klipsch RB-61 ii's for my front speakers. if/when I upgrade down the road I can always move them to rear surround, or into another room etc. If I was able to get ahold of the RB-81's for close to the same price, would it be worth pulling the trigger on those, or would they be more than the Yamaha could handle proplerly? (since I'm only running 2.1 would bi-amping help this?)

For a sub, I had been pretty sold on the SVS-SB1000. I listen mostly to music, with only occasional movies. I recently read some good reviews on the sunfire SDS-12, and it is the same price as the SVS. I was wondering if anyone had heard both, or could offer opinions on one or the other?

Thanks in advance for any input you guys have

-Bard

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
If you listened to the Klipsch RB-61 ii's and you like their sound they are great speakers to start with.

Bi-amping with your receiver does nothing and is a waste of time IMHO. It is not worth it at all. Besides Klipsch speakers are pretty sensitive so you have plenty of power.

As for your subwoofer it largely depends on the size of your room (including ceiling heights) and whether your room is open or closed off to other rooms. The Larger the room the larger the subwoofer needed. So the dimensions of your room are very important when looking at a subwoofer.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK Thanks for the info. I can't figure out how to edit my original post so here are my room dimensions

The room is 13x24, with 8ft ceilings, and on one end it opens up into a large room (24x35) with vaulted ceilings.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Eek your room opens up to a huge room, and the unfortunate thing with Bass is that is just does not see the room you place it.

I might want to considered a larger subwoofer or maybe even a ported option. The nice thing about SVS I will say is their 45day risk free in home trial so if its not enough you can return it with them paying shipping both ways. So whatever subwoofer you buy I would be looking for a good return policy.

If I were you I might think of putting more budget to a subwoofer.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
How large is the opening between the rooms?

As has been mentioned, if you audition the Klipsch and like what you hear, then you should be good. The Klipsch are actually pretty high value speakers, but the horn Mid/High don't appeal to everyone.

Overall, I would say you have struck about the right balance in your equipment.

Steve/bluewizard

·
Registered
13,484 Posts
I'll just add that if you can get the RB81s close to the same price of the RB61s*, and have the space for them, I'd say that's a no-brainer. ;)

*As long as you're paying around $350/pair for the RB61s and, if so, can you let me know where to get the 81s at those kinda prices?! I haven't seen the 81s for less than $550/pair.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've not seen the 81's for less than 275ish shipped....I'm just hoping :)
On the sub, my budget is pretty much maxed for now, I figure I can always add another later. The opening is approx 5x8 to the other room. I know bass isn't really directional, but where the sub will be will be pointing away from the opening. I can always add a second sub down the road after I get the wife hooked.

Honestly I'm upgrading from crappy 10 year old tv speakers....So looking at out from that angle, I can't really go wrong can I?

·
Registered
13,484 Posts
Yeah, $275 is about the best price right now for a single 81 (vs. $175 for a single 61).

I know bass isn't really directional, but where the sub will be will be pointing away from the opening.
The direction the driver is facing matters naught....subwoofer frequencies emanate from the source equally in all directions. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.