AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 12787 Posts

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
I read the specs and it says Dirac live. Did you calibrate it using Dirac live. Does it need a PC/Mac for that or is that all done by the receiver?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I read the specs and it says Dirac live. Did you calibrate it using Dirac live. Does it need a PC/Mac for that or is that all done by the receiver?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It will have Dirac after a firmware update sometime in the future.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I haven't seen a thread yet for this receiver. I just set it up and am very happy so far.
Can you say what you have connected to it and what features of it that you've used? I'm hoping it supports Dolby Vision in its HDMI pass through. I have (and still use) a T760 receiver that predates HDMI and am looking to upgrade.

·
Registered
11 Posts
This seems like quite an interesting AVR if they avoid the mistakes Arcam made with their Dirac implementation. I suppose it's wait and see until NAD actually releases the Dirac firmware and people can test it.

Any idea if this supports amp reassignment? Goal would be 5.1.4 setup with external poweramp for main L+R and using AVR internal amps for the rest of the speakers.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can you say what you have connected to it and what features of it that you've used? I'm hoping it supports Dolby Vision in its HDMI pass through. I have (and still use) a T760 receiver that predates HDMI and am looking to upgrade.
My 3 hdmi inputs are connected to Dish Hopper, Oppo 203 and Roku stick. HDMI out goes to LG B6. Speakers are Vienna Acoustic Schoenberg. I also have an analog connection from the Oppo to the NAD.

I use BluOS to play Tidal and am trying out Roon.

So far, I notice that the NAD DAC is very active. Sounds better than the Oppo DAC. Videos pop, especially in HDR. I will post more as I learn.

·
Registered
14,419 Posts
I've sent a request to [email protected] two weeks ago asking a couple of questions but haven't heard back yet. Maybe someone has more information? Here's my questions:

1. Can I run a 5.1.4 Atmos configuration?
2. When do you plan on making Dirac Live available?
3. Speaker distance settings allow just 1ft steps. Will Dirac Live be allowed to set speaker distance in finer increments?
3. Bass management: what crossover points can be selected?
4. Bass management: is there just a common crossover point for all speakers set to small or are individual settings available?
5. Bass management: what type of high-pass/low-pass filter and slope is applied?
6. Can I set a fixed volume level when the unit is powered on?

·
Registered
14,419 Posts
HI, I would get the T758 v3 in a heartbeat as it fits my needs perfectly. But the comments on Crutchfield (https://www.crutchfield.com/p_745T758V3/NAD-T-758-V3.html) have made me reluctant. Is anyone else having firmware problems?

For the short-term, 4k isn't a concern. Switching video sources, good audio and utilizing BluOs would be the initial usage.

Thanks in advance.
Just talked to a dealer in Switzerland. It can be ordered but they don't have it in their store. He knows nothing about software bugs or availability of Dirac Live firmware upgrade. Together with the user reports at Crutchfield and here at AVSforum I'd say you better wait.

·
Registered
14,419 Posts
Did you receive a response on these inquires?
No. Not a good sign. Looks like NAD is taking customer support even less serious than Arcam. Arcam does respond (although with questionable information). Regardless, it took Arcam over 2 years to have a halfway decent device after fixing the worst bugs. How long will it take NAD if they even don't respond to any customer requests?

The dealer I was talking to tried to answer some of the questions but he was very vague on some points (didn't know filter topology, said he would need to take a look at "the circuit") and probably outright wrong about others (DL would set bass management). He claimed that the device can output 11.1 channels though. If all of them were Dirac Live equalized this would be a very interesting AVR. Not sure I want to take a leading role in another horror show again...

·
Registered
14,419 Posts
Couldn't resist – T 758 v3 ordered. Will have it tomorrow or Monday.

Thought I could download Dirac Live from the product page at https://nadelectronics.com/en_EU/product/t-758-v3-av-surround-sound-receiver/ but links to both the Mac and PC version don't work. Links at https://nadelectronics.com/en_EU/dirac-live/ do work though.

Mac installer throws a Gatekeeper error. Come on Dirac Research, sign your software properly!

Workaround: Right-click installer (Dirac Live LE for NAD v1.2.17.8658.mpkg), select "Open" and then "Open" again.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,419 Posts
NAD supplies a "RoomFeel EQ Target Curve" with Dirac Live LE. Looks virtually identical to the Harman curve.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
NAD supplies a "RoomFeel EQ Target Curve" with Dirac Live LE. Looks virtually identical to the Harman curve.
The "new" curve used in the Trinnov/JBL units?

1 - 20 of 12787 Posts