AVS Forum banner

5681 - 5700 of 12144 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
I currently have a 5.1 setup and will be adding 2 height speakers slightly in front of the MLP for a 5.1.2 system. Should I set these as Height 1 or Height 2? The manual does not specify which to use. Thanks!

·
Registered
153 Posts

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
I wanted to mention for those looking for a solution that I bought a pair of these Dayton auto-on class-D stereo amps from partsexpress for my overheads and they are working marvelously. They are only $90/ea. right now and make for a super-slick installation with the NAD.

https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-apa102-class-d-stereo-60-wpc-amplifier-auto-on--300-591
Well now that looks like a very reasonable solution. Is that a holiday price?

Gain controls, auto-on, class D efficiency.

Edit: this may actually be 30wpc with both channels driven. Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
Well now that looks like a very reasonable solution. Is that a holiday price?

Gain controls, auto-on, class D efficiency.

Edit: this may actually be 30wpc with both channels driven. Can anyone confirm?

From the website:

Output power: 60 watts RMS @ 8 ohms, 75 watts RMS @ 4 ohms, 160 watts RMS @ 8 ohms (minimum impedance) bridged mono

Would be surprised if it was 30W?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Been having some interesting times moving my sub around to try and get the best bass. Tiring exercise when the sub is around 60kg (132 lb). But I did found out that Dirac can over-correct and I was getting some distortion from my sub amp. Been using the Atmos track on Daredevil Season 3 episode 1 intro on the ATV 4k. That gives your sub a work out. It was quite hard to figure out what it was. Originally I thought it was vibration from a large steel/glass fireplace I have. Till I had the idea of turning Dirac off and no vibration. So I've been editing the Dirac curve to minimise this. Now I know what I am looking for I might move back the sub to another position that has a better frequency curve - George

·
Registered
365 Posts
Two words: subwoofer crawl.

The sub stays in one place and you crawl around listening, or, better, measuring.
Well that's not as much fun as lifting a large sub around the room!

Reactions: nathan_h

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
Two words: subwoofer crawl.

The sub stays in one place and you crawl around listening, or, better, measuring.
This will get you close, but in my experience, very small changes, including sub orientation, can have big effects on peaks and dips. So putting the sub in the chair (won't work with very large/heavy subs) can get you into the approximate area, but you'll still need to fine tune.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Do you guys find the pre amp section of this nad can compete with low to mid range integrated amps? For 2 channel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
392 Posts
I must admit I never found subwoofer crawl that effective. But I did measure all the corners when I put up the soffits. But at least lugging the Sub 3 beast around in 3 spots in my room which I have Dirac measurements for does show me the best place for the sub :)

Reactions: nathan_h

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
This may be a good choice as well. No auto-on or balance control (not really needed), yet more power: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B076P2VS9H/

Could fit side-by-side on my shelf. Image from an Amazon review:

Capture.jpg

Since much of my content won't have Atmos, I would know when to flick them on.

It also has fewer inputs vs the Dayton amp, but if all we need is an RCA input and volume, here you go.

·
Premium Member
3,513 Posts
I found older multichannel zone amps work well and are a good price. I found a 6 channel Rotel 976 in poor condition (external case) where the guts were good for $179 on eBay.

There are others like the Rotel 1066 and even 8 channel amps that could be used for all the surrounds. Check HifiShark.com where you can save searches. It checks a lot of different sources eBay, boutique used shops, Audiogon, it even did AVS for a while (maybe still does)

Wish I would have thought of that before. PM me if you’re interested in some Audiosource 2 channel 50W amps.

Reactions: richardsim7

·
Premium Member
2,424 Posts
Finally got my 777v3 installed today. No Dirac Live configured yet, but just a manual swag at the distance and levels is impressive. I always heard NAD had some secret sauce - fan boy in the making here....... wow!

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Finally got my 777v3 installed today. No Dirac Live configured yet, but just a manual swag at the distance and levels is impressive. I always heard NAD had some secret sauce - fan boy in the making here....... wow!
LOL... No surprise there!

My son came over today so I thought it would be an opportune time to do the Dirac calibration with my new, as yet unused MiniDSP UMIK-1. No dice, the included USB cord is far too short!

Rats. Ordered a 20- footer from Monoprice. Try again next weekend.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I forgot to order a longer cable...dang it. What usb type is on the mic side? I gave my long cable away when I sold my last MiniDSP 88a.
It's USB-A to mini USB. Smaller end into the mic. The one they included is said to be 2 meters, and though it seems closer to 3m, that's still not long enough for me.

Reactions: Soulburner

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
It's USB-A to mini USB. Smaller end into the mic. The one they included is said to be 2 meters, and though it seems closer to 3m, that's still not long enough for me.
Correct. I believe there is an issue with power loss over longer cable runs, so there is a practical limit to USB cable length. Before doing some Google-fu, I'm not sure what that is.

Really though, since your UMIK-1 would be connected to the laptop, which can be moved about the room, I don't think cable length is a big issue?

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Correct. I believe there is an issue with power loss over longer cable runs, so there is a practical limit to USB cable length. Before doing some Google-fu, I'm not sure what that is.

Really though, since your UMIK-1 would be connected to the laptop, which can be moved about the room, I don't think cable length is a big issue?
For some reason I couldn't get my wife's Win10 laptop to work with the initial setup using the NAD supplied mic plugged into it. When I switched to using the USB on the receiver itself that worked fine.

Because of that, I didn't try it with the UMIK-1.

BTW, I hope Monoprice isn't selling an unusable 20 foot long USB-A to mini USB cable. If that's out of spec for use, I've wasted a couple bucks. Again.

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
This may be a good choice as well. No auto-on or balance control (not really needed), yet more power: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B076P2VS9H/

Could fit side-by-side on my shelf. Image from an Amazon review:

View attachment 2484268

Since much of my content won't have Atmos, I would know when to flick them on.

It also has fewer inputs vs the Dayton amp, but if all we need is an RCA input and volume, here you go.
Actually, the above does 100wpc into 4ohms. Since most of us have 8ohm speakers, that would be 50wpc.

They make a more powerful version for only a few more dollars: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B077GWVHHN

160wpc into 4ohms resistance, which would be 80wpc into 8ohms. Since we have Dirac, we won't miss the loss of the bass/treble knobs. 2 will cover your Atmos needs for $150.

·
Registered
9,929 Posts
I'd be curious to hear what folks think of these compact budget switching amps. I was using one for some outdoor speakers and it felt okay for non critical listening on speakers I didn't mind clipping on accident.

There are so many modest class A/B amps around (eg, search on AudioSource on eBay) that I feel better using those in my home theater. But if the current generation of budget switching amps is doing well, that's good to know.

·
Premium Member
3,513 Posts
LOL... No surprise there!

My son came over today so I thought it would be an opportune time to do the Dirac calibration with my new, as yet unused MiniDSP UMIK-1. No dice, the included USB cord is far too short!

Rats. Ordered a 20- footer from Monoprice. Try again next weekend.
I think the limit for the signal for the Umik is 16'. You may want to look into that. I think AustinJerry told me that. I went with a 12 footer.

5681 - 5700 of 12144 Posts