AVS Forum banner

6701 - 6720 of 12161 Posts

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Guys i got the B&W S684 s2 as front speakers in my 5.2.1 setup.
They are rated 25W - 150W into 8ohms on unclipped programme according to the specs.

I m happy with the performance so far with the T758 V3 & the speakers, when using 5.2.1 material i wonder if they are power starved? Should i add a power amp to my setup? if yes which Nad power amp you guys suggest?

Thanks a ton.

P.S- i m a noob when it comes to power amps.
It really depends how loud you need them to get.

B&W quotes 87dB/W/m sensitivity and 8ohm nominal impedance, falling to a minimum of 4ohms, and suggests amplifiers from 25W upwards will be sufficient to drive them.

At a distance of 3 meters, with 57 watts of amplifier power (and 3dB of headroom left on the amp), these will produce 92dB. That is about as far as this AVR will push them.

If you need more than 92dB, an external power amp would be needed.

·
Registered
549 Posts
It really depends how loud you need them to get.

B&W quotes 87dB/W/m sensitivity and 8ohm nominal impedance, falling to a minimum of 4ohms, and suggests amplifiers from 25W upwards will be sufficient to drive them.

At a distance of 3 meters, with 57 watts of amplifier power (and 3dB of headroom left on the amp), these will produce 92dB. That is about as far as this AVR will push them.

If you need more than 92dB, an external power amp would be needed.
Incase i go for a power amp, which one from NAD do you recommend?

Thanks.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Too bad since I like the sound of the T758 over the Anthem 720.
What exactly do you like better?
What is the rest of the system?
Did you use power amp?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Everything on this receiver works perfectly with a Mac! Dirac, BluOS, WiFi etc....
You’re right...if you can connect to WiFi. I needed to update the 758 via serial (using a PC) and THEN I was able to connect to WiFi and use my Mac. My dealer walked me through it and let me know I was the fourth customer he helped with the same issue.
Would you mind sharing the steps for this since it appears to be a widespread issue...?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I currently do, because I turn it off and on via ethernet (Simple Control on iOS). I actually just ordered an ethernet to serial adapter because 40W 24/7 is a crazy power waste!

Hmm, hadn't considered ethernet to serial. I haven't set it up yet but I was planning on using a script when Kodi launches (I power on my HTPC via WoL and that launches Kodi automatically) to turn on the AVR via a USB to Serial adapter. Can maybe use that to set AVR volume depending on the movie etc :)

I sit around 9 feet away. I have the speakers set to 80hz crossover, the remaining speakers of my setup-

i got the B&W HTM62 S2 as centre(25W - 120W into 8Ω)
S686 S2 as surrounds (25W - 100W into 8Ω)
B&W M1 Satellites for atmos (20W - 100W into 8Ω)
REL S2 Subwoofer.

with all these running when watching Atmos movies will the front speakers still get enough juice?

Thanks.

Use this to determine which crossover setting you should be using: https://mehlau.net/audio/dirac-live-avr-crossover/

Use this to calculate amp/speaker power output: https://mehlau.net/audio/spl/

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
NOT a good start. Just got my 758 AND IT WONT TURN ON /forum/images/smilies/frown.gif((
I plugged it in and nothing-nothing on the screen. Plugged it into a second outlet and still nothing...tried the remote but absolutely nothing happens when I plug in or press on for remote...am I missing something??

Has this happened to anyone before?? I’m sweating...

·
Registered
189 Posts
What exactly do you like better?
What is the rest of the system?
Did you use power amp?

Thanks.
Front speakers are GoldenEars, Triton Ones for Left/Right and the XXL for center.

I found that the NAD had a more forward sound than the Anthem. The NAD sounded more alive and a bit more clear on certain instruments. The Anthem had a wider sound stage and imaged a tad better. But the Anthem wasn't as good as the music was more involved, vocals weren't as clear.

Some may prefer the more laid back nature of the Anthem. It is very good. I prefer a more live sound and will trade off a bit of imaging. The T758 really is impressive for the price.

On my earlier issues updating firmware and getting the WiFi working, I solved it. Bought a cheap USB to Ethernet adapter at Best Buy. It worked perfectly and the NAD updated the firmware. Music streaming works through the Ethernet connection also. Wonderful for me since I'm not a wireless fan.

·
Premium Member
6,860 Posts
Front speakers are GoldenEars, Triton Ones for Left/Right and the XXL for center.

I found that the NAD had a more forward sound than the Anthem. The NAD sounded more alive and a bit more clear on certain instruments. The Anthem had a wider sound stage and imaged a tad better. But the Anthem wasn't as good as the music was more involved, vocals weren't as clear.

Some may prefer the more laid back nature of the Anthem. It is very good. I prefer a more live sound and will trade off a bit of imaging. The T758 really is impressive for the price.

On my earlier issues updating firmware and getting the WiFi working, I solved it. Bought a cheap USB to Ethernet adapter at Best Buy. It worked perfectly and the NAD updated the firmware. Music streaming works through the Ethernet connection also. Wonderful for me since I'm not a wireless fan.
Great that it worked. I tried an Ethernet to USB adapter and it did not work. At least we’re up and running.

·
Registered
679 Posts

Thanks!

Interesting. Large and deep 3D soundstage and sound that is not "in the face" (unlike the stereo sound of most other AVRs) is one of the main attributes I like on MRX 720.
I like to hear the music in the Hi-Fi system as if I were located in the audience, in front of the stage and not with the musicians on the stage.

Obviously, people's preferences are very diverse :)
That's why it's very important to try Hi-Fi equipment prior to buying. Something which is great for someone, could be a total miss for someone else.

BTW, the balance of soundstage and imaging on one side and the clarity of details on another also depends a lot of speakers and room and, of course, the position of speakers and the listener in the room.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Would you mind sharing the steps for this since it appears to be a widespread issue...?
I followed the steps as described in the little "bluOS" setup paper that was included in the box with the receiver. WiFi connected 1st shot no issue whatsoever. I'm sorry to those who are having setup issues...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hmm, hadn't considered ethernet to serial. I haven't set it up yet but I was planning on using a script when Kodi launches (I power on my HTPC via WoL and that launches Kodi automatically) to turn on the AVR via a USB to Serial adapter. Can maybe use that to set AVR volume depending on the movie etc :)
I think that’s a good plan! I’m going for total serial control, ethernet only for updates and pushing Dirac filters to it. It’s a shame they can’t fix the ethernet power draw. This will be a good workaround though: https://www.globalcache.com/products/itach/ip2slspecs/

·
Registered
6,797 Posts

Is this an assessment of the raw sound of the AVR or after Dirac room correction? Really hard to say that a Dirac-enabled system has a "sound" once corrections are made. What I mean is if the Anthem had Dirac, they would sound identical. Glad you're liking it so far.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
NOT a good start. Just got my 758 AND IT WONT TURN ON /forum/images/smilies/frown.gif((
I plugged it in and nothing-nothing on the screen. Plugged it into a second outlet and still nothing...tried the remote but absolutely nothing happens when I plug in or press on for remote...am I missing something??

Damn, man. If your unit is DOA, just refund/exchange. Bummer if you have to wait any longer.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Is this an assessment of the raw sound of the AVR or after Dirac room correction? Really hard to say that a Dirac-enabled system has a "sound" once corrections are made. What I mean is if the Anthem had Dirac, they would sound identical. Glad you're liking it so far.
Raw sound. Did all of my testing with my speakers with raw.

·
Registered
549 Posts

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I think that’s a good plan! I’m going for total serial control, ethernet only for updates and pushing Dirac filters to it. It’s a shame they can’t fix the ethernet power draw. This will be a good workaround though: https://www.globalcache.com/products/itach/ip2slspecs/

Ah cool, so it's an active device, I assumed you meant just DB9 to RJ45, that makes more sense

The result came to 88.7db . dunno if that is good enough?

Cheer

How did you get 88dB? What distances did you put in? and the last setting?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Ah cool, so it's an active device, I assumed you meant just DB9 to RJ45, that makes more sense

How did you get 88dB? What distances did you put in? and the last setting?
oops rechecked made a mistake of putting 9 meters instead of 3 meters lol. The result is now 98.2 db

When i change the Amplifier watt to 80 i get a result of 99.5 db. Thats if i go for the Nad C268

When i change the Amplifier watt to 150 i get a result of 102.2 db. Thats if i go for the NAD C275BEE

hmmn.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts

Damn, man. If your unit is DOA, just refund/exchange. Bummer if you have to wait any longer.
I know-I’m so bummed and disappointed.

How is it even possible to get a brand new unit and it doesn’t even turn on..the most I was worried about was the rear surround speakers buzzing with external amp.

Has this DOA experience happened to anyone else here?!?

Would second guess the NAD but already paid for direct love full

·
Registered
4 Posts
New Member in the Club...

Hi there!

I've been reading passively here since quite a while already and got really interested in the t758.
I was little concerned because of all those bugs it had in the beginning but I got myself a test device from the hifi dealer of my choice. Even that device had that bug on the optical outs I was extremely impressed (sound, setup possibilities, especially concerning setting up sources,...) so I decided my denon avr x4000 has to look out for a new owner ;-)
Last friday I got the device I ordered after I returned the test device. I was bit afraid I would have a device with bugs so I prepared myself in advance... In order to not experience issues with the mic (multiple adaptors...) I ordered a UMIK 1 as well. Expecting wifi issues I got myself a usb lan adaptor. Last not least, to be prepared for the worst case scenario I kept my old Denon to have an AVR if it turns out that the NAD has to be sent in to get a possible AM230 issue solved (opt in,...).
Well, as I mentioned already the device arrived last friday (so 2 days ago). First thing, already at the door, I checked the serial number if it is in the range of devices with the AM230 modul. Check! way out of that range... Already a relief... I unpacked the NAD ind noticed right away there is the new AM230 card installed - another relief... Then I got the piece in my hifi rack and started it. First I tried to connect it to the net in order to update - worked without any problems. Relief continued ;-)... All the other setup was a piece of cake (sources, speakers, etc). Yesterday I successfully did my first Dirac measurement, also without experiencing any problems. Well I just did a one point measurement just to get a feeling if and how it works. Later the day I will care seriously about Dirac :-D...
To get to the point: I felt - for all those other people who are reading passively here - it would be nice to get infos from an owner who experienced no problems with the device at all! I'm a extremely happy owner of a new fully functional NAD T758 V3!
The only thing giving me issues is Bluesound - it won't reindex my iTunes Music collection, but that seems to be a problem of my iTunes library/id3Tags. Doesn't matter anyway since my mac mini is part of my hifi system and hooked to the NAD (optically). All the rest works fine here!

Greetz from Hamburg - St.Pauli! (Germany)

Maunsson

·
Premium Member
3,513 Posts
I would be really curious to see how you guys with Wi-Fi problems have your network set up, then see if there is any commonality between those having problems and those that don't.
The WiFi dongle it comes with is 2.4Ghz N. On some of the newer netgear routers firmware messed with the N signal. Updating the router firmware fixed my issues

6701 - 6720 of 12161 Posts