AVS Forum banner

10701 - 10720 of 12134 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
I’️ll agree stuff changes rather quickly in this hobby but I think the NAD is still a great buy especially with Dirac Live. I’️ve gone thru many incarnations of room correction over the years, YPAO, Audyssey & hands down Dirac is the best of the bunch! I haven’️t owned anything from Arcam, Emotiva etc so I can’️t speak for their strengths or weaknesses but I can say I’️ve been completely satisfied with the performance of the NAD. Yes, over the course of the year there have been some “quirks” but most have been quickly rectified with an update. I personally wouldn’️t call the NAD a “neutered” offering unless of course it doesn’️t fit your specific needs i.e. number of HDMI inputs, dual subwoofer outputs etc....as far as its lack of Dolby Vision inclusion I would hardly consider that a major shortcoming though I’️m sure some may think differently. What speakers are you considering on using with the NAD?
To be fair and honest I don't know just how much Dolby Vision means either. Perhaps I'm getting hung up on the fact products with Dobly Vision boast that fact loud and clear. /forum/images/smilies/confused.gif

I have JBL studio 290 towers that will be powered with external amps. I have a the studio 535 center, which will be powered by an external amp. I have three SVS 12" NSD subs (all equi-distant from MLP so no need for dual sub control) and 2 small JBL studio surround speakers . So - 5.3.0 I will add two atmos in ceiling speakers soon.

For the price of the NAD I can get the 88a and keep my Marantz slim line NR 1607, which handles all video formats available today.

External amps and a mini-dsp 88a seems like a pretty solid future proof setup. I can always pick up the latest in-expensive AVR for any future things. My current Marantz was about 500.00, but it does everything minus supplying ample power.

I could be missing something.... please let me know if so. /forum/images/smilies/confused.gif
Your thinking is definitely on the level. Amps can pretty much take you a long way as “power” doesn’t get outdated. From all I’ve read the mini-dsp 88a is a solid unit & with its inclusion of Dirac would definitely give you awesome room correct capabilities. If you’re using external amps already than I would say you probably wouldn’t gain much by going with the NAD especially since you’re gonna be getting the 88a. My thinking was you were looking for a great “all in one” box.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I was just informed by a local dealer that this unit is being discontinued. They also told me there is no path to add Dolby Vison as the hardware can't support it. He's going to confirm it with their rep and get back to me. Has anyone else heard this?
Curious what the lack of Dolby Vision means. I am currently running it from my Apple TV to an LG OLED through the NAD. It works but does this mean the signal isn’t passed through purely? I’ve wondered since the picture isn’t as sharp as I’ve expected.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Curious what the lack of Dolby Vision means. I am currently running it from my Apple TV to an LG OLED through the NAD. It works but does this mean the signal isn’t passed through purely? I’ve wondered since the picture isn’t as sharp as I’ve expected.
My TV has it built in, so when I use it's apps (Netflix) it's native to the screen. I lose on audio since it's streaming (just realized that - thought they would have 'fixed' that since 2014) but the picture is out of this world. I don't have another streaming 'box' outside of my TV so I couldn't test it if I wanted to. Heck, now that you mention it I don't know if my current AVR supports DV,.

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
I was just informed by a local dealer that this unit is being discontinued. They also told me there is no path to add Dolby Vison as the hardware can't support it. He's going to confirm it with their rep and get back to me. Has anyone else heard this?

There's been no announcements about it being discontinued, and it already supports Dolby Vision

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
There's been no announcements about it being discontinued, and it already supports Dolby Vision
Where are you getting that info? I looked on their site and it clearly said does not support Dolby vision.

Correction - website mentions zero about Dolby vision, neither on the 758 page, nor the mdc v3 page.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/nad-t758-v3-av-receiver-review

^^ written in 2018, says no Dolby vision. Does anyone have an update log showing it was added?

·
Registered
392 Posts
I agree with Richard - nad T777 in my case supports Dolby Vision fine - I use LG C9 apps, ATV and Pioneer LX 500. Also when I had my C9 calibrated including Dolby Vision calibrator commented on how good the picture was - so seems fine to me - george

·
Registered
53 Posts
Where are you getting that info? I looked on their site and it clearly said does not support Dolby vision.

Correction - website mentions zero about Dolby vision, neither on the 758 page, nor the mdc v3 page.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/nad-t758-v3-av-receiver-review

^^ written in 2018, says no Dolby vision. Does anyone have an update log showing it was added?
Dolby Vision support was added in April 2018 for the 758/777 v3 models: https://nadelectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/BluOS_ReleaseNotes_2.16.10_Public.pdf

Reactions: richardsim7

·
Registered
13,128 Posts
Some news regarding "speaker level weirdness": The gain compensation algorithm introduced in Dirac Live 2 can misbehave when a target curve introduces large cuts or boosts (DL v1 works just fine). Dirac plans to introduce a new and more robust gain compensation algorithm in one of the releases after the next one.

So for now make sure not to use large cuts or boosts in your target curves and make use of curtains.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Some news regarding "speaker level weirdness": The gain compensation algorithm introduced in Dirac Live 2 can misbehave when a target curve introduces large cuts or boosts (DL v1 works just fine). Dirac plans to introduce a new and more robust gain compensation algorithm in one of the releases after the next one.

So for now make sure not to use large cuts or boosts in your target curves and make use of curtains.

Would that Harman Curve you posted in the other MiniDSP thread be considered heavy cutting? 20Hz is around 0dB and I am down -9dB at 16Hz. :)

·
Registered
13,128 Posts
Reactions: richardsim7

·
Registered
32 Posts

Would it be better to fall back to Dirac 1 for correction? I've only recently started using DL2 for a new room and the levels are a miss or hit whereas DL1 was fine before. The harman curves you posted, are they strictly for DL2 or can they be applied to DL1 also?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I do not have an spl meter but i redid 3 tests, in a 5.1 setup. First one with all channels leveled, 2nd with surrounds -5db and 3rd with +5db. There was absolutely no difference in speaker levels. So sorry everyone, i cannot scientifically prove that theory. Although, in my many, many experiments i was satisfied with the surrounds level, which were higher than normal using the pre calibration levels. But like i said, until i, or someone else, can prove it scientifically, it is not legit. Sorry /forum/images/smilies/frown.gif
Did DL start optimization before you've uploaded the filters? Depending on the software version auto optimization does not start when loading target curves from a file. So you might end up with the very same filters in all slots. Always check spectrum corrected graphs before uploading filters into your unit.

Yes, i actually closed the receiver and the dirac app but kept the mic in the same place. Re runned everything from scratch so every scenario was a new project as independent as possible. And yes im always waiting for dirac to apply the filters before going to the next step to export the filters. Except for a +-1 difference in level for the subwoofer everything looked and sounded the same.

·
Registered
13,128 Posts
Would it be better to fall back to Dirac 1 for correction? I've only recently started using DL2 for a new room and the levels are a miss or hit whereas DL1 was fine before. The harman curves you posted, are they strictly for DL2 or can they be applied to DL1 also?
DL 2 but they are just text files. You can open and copy the values with any text editor.

·
Registered
13,128 Posts
Yes, i actually closed the receiver and the dirac app but kept the mic in the same place. Re runned everything from scratch so every scenario was a new project as independent as possible. And yes im always waiting for dirac to apply the filters before going to the next step to export the filters. Except for a +-1 difference in level for the subwoofer everything looked and sounded the same.
Hard to tell what's going on there as you didn't post any data so far.
Did you already send your projects to Dirac so they can investigate? If not please do so at https://jira.dirac.services/servicedesk/customer/portals

·
Registered
2,737 Posts

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Thank you. I also contacted NAD this morning and got an almost instant reply stating that DV is in fact supported. So much for my local dealer and their relationship with NAD equaling anything accurate. :rolleyes:
If I were to guess, Dolby Vision is supported, but they didn't want to pay Dolby lots of money to display their logo on their product/webpage ;)

·
Registered
801 Posts
Dolby Vision support was added in April 2018 for the 758/777 v3 models: https://nadelectronics.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/BluOS_ReleaseNotes_2.16.10_Public.pdf
Thank you. I also contacted NAD this morning and got an almost instant reply stating that DV is in fact supported. So much for my local dealer and their relationship with NAD equaling anything accurate. /forum/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif
My mistake regarding Dolby Vision. I forgot it was included in a previous firmware update...

·
Registered
801 Posts
I haven’t heard about it being discontinued as NAD doesn’t have anything else announced in this price tier. The 778 is a much higher priced unit so I can’t see them discontinuing the 758 & not having a similar priced updated model. The 777 however looks to have been discontinued as it is no longer listed on C-field’s website. As far as Dolby Vision that sounds likely that it won’t be supported on this unit. This is all speculation on my part so please take this with a grain of salt.
I totally didn’t realize this unit (758) doesn’t get Dolby vision. So with my Apple TV 4K playing the Dolby vision content through the receiver to my 75Z9D, It is not actually Dolby vision on the shows that list it?
Or similarity if I had a Dolby vision 4k blue ray my Xbox x wouldn’t actually be outputting Dolby vision?
We just clarified that this unit (T758v3) received Dolby Vision support with a firmware update a few months back.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I totally didn’t realize this unit (758) doesn’t get Dolby vision. So with my Apple TV 4K playing the Dolby vision content through the receiver to my 75Z9D, It is not actually Dolby vision on the shows that list it?
Or similarity if I had a Dolby vision 4k blue ray my Xbox x wouldn’t actually be outputting Dolby vision?
I have the 777v3, but my understanding is that NAD passes thru all video signal. So if your TV or whatever can do Dolby Vision, the NAD wouldn't hinder it from pass thru.
Don't take this as written in stone as I could be wrong.

10701 - 10720 of 12134 Posts