AVS Forum banner

12321 - 12340 of 12402 Posts

·
Registered
13,467 Posts
My new amp came in for the Atmos channels, MUCH higher quality and power than the little Dayton amps. Still the same issue though, so it is likely user error and not the amp. I'm following the guide linked from this forum when trying to set mic levels, speaker levels, etc. This is the end result and this is BAD, right?

View attachment 3037736
How are speakers connected to which amps?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
NAD internal is running all the mains. The output board RCA's are going into the Atmos amps. At first I used the little Dayton rack mount 2 channel amps and when I first saw the low levels I assumed it was the amps being underpowered, so I just upgraded them to a Sonance 8 channel amp running in bridge mode. I thought that throwing much more power at it would fix the level issue but it didn't change a thing, so it was clearly not the Dayton amps. My apologies to Dayton for ever doubting their product :)

·
Registered
13,467 Posts
NAD internal is running all the mains. The output board RCA's are going into the Atmos amps. At first I used the little Dayton rack mount 2 channel amps and when I first saw the low levels I assumed it was the amps being underpowered, so I just upgraded them to a Sonance 8 channel amp running in bridge mode. I thought that throwing much more power at it would fix the level issue but it didn't change a thing, so it was clearly not the Dayton amps. My apologies to Dayton for ever doubting their product :)
The main problem here isn't power but what voltage the amps require to drive them to max. output. What Sonance amp do you use? Make and model of the speakers?

·
Registered
13,467 Posts
Sonamp DSP 8-130 MKII
Did you check the DSP settings of the amp?
The amp specs state 2.9Vrms input sensitivity. The 758v3 delivers way less.

Reactions: richardsim7

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Did you check the DSP settings of the amp?
The amp specs state 2.9Vrms input sensitivity. The 758v3 delivers way less.
I can get to the DSP menu via browser using the IP of the amp but I'm not following what you are asking. All I did in the menu was enable bridge mode, the rest of the DSP is set to default.

·
Registered
13,467 Posts
I can get to the DSP menu via browser using the IP of the amp but I'm not following what you are asking. All I did in the menu was enable bridge mode, the rest of the DSP is set to default.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Thanks, if I'm understanding you correctly you are telling me that this Sonance amp is no good, the Dayton amps were no good, and I need to buy an amp with a "way lower" input sensitivity.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
This is the Sonance DSP setup page. I haven't tried messing with the input level trim settings but I can try that today and see if it works. They can go from -6 to +6 and were all set to 0. Maybe going to -6 will equalize it with the NAD.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thought I'd chime in to say that ditching my 758 for an Anthem MRX series was a liberating choice. The NAD was the buggiest piece of equipment I've ever been burdened with.

·
Premium Member
3,543 Posts
Thought I'd chime in to say that ditching my 758 for an Anthem MRX series was a liberating choice. The NAD was the buggiest piece of equipment I've ever been burdened with.
What are your thoughts on ARC Genesis vs Dirac? I'll be planning for my next upgrade a ways down the road.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Denon 4500 or 758 v3i for music?
Two years ago I was trying to decide between the 758v3 and the 4500. I ended up going with the 758, mainly for Dirac. Then in May 2020 I got tired of the bugs and purchased a 4500. In my setup (7.3.4, used primarily for music) the 4500 has been much better. Fewer bugs, and in my system, less noise too. Dirac might be better than Audyssey, but with careful setup I have been able to achieve similar results. And a big benefit of the 4500 is the Auromatic upmixer. It works very well for most music.
I still have the 758 but I don’t plan on going back. I guess I should sell it...

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
This is the Sonance DSP setup page. I haven't tried messing with the input level trim settings but I can try that today and see if it works. They can go from -6 to +6 and were all set to 0. Maybe going to -6 will equalize it with the NAD.

I know you've decided to move on, but you would want to put these at +6, not -6. You need more boost, not cut.

·
Premium Member
3,543 Posts
Two years ago I was trying to decide between the 758v3 and the 4500. I ended up going with the 758, mainly for Dirac. Then in May 2020 I got tired of the bugs and purchased a 4500. In my setup (7.3.4, used primarily for music) the 4500 has been much better. Fewer bugs, and in my system, less noise too. Dirac might be better than Audyssey, but with careful setup I have been able to achieve similar results. And a big benefit of the 4500 is the Auromatic upmixer. It works very well for most music.
I still have the 758 but I don’t plan on going back. I guess I should sell it...
what do you mean less noise?

12321 - 12340 of 12402 Posts