AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a home theater receiver. It will be used for Home Theater/Music 60%/40%. I know that the Yamaha has many more features (THX, DTS96/24, ect), but I have heard so many great things about the NAD. Any advice? They will be run with Paradigm speakers.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I dont recall reading any QC issues with Yamaha..Also look at features you need and want..Both NAD and Yamaha should be able to to drive the Paradigms just fine.Good luck both make fine gear.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Audition them extensively with speakers of your choice, Yamaha is a great unit with nice features but you may not like its sonic character.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I would definitely go for the NAD, but that’s only my opinion based on several findings that covered what I needed about 2 months ago. Both AV Receivers are great and would definitely base my decision by going to an av store and have a listen to both of them set-up correctly!

I have choose the nad on the following bases:

Can tackle low impedance speaker with ease (4 ohms )

Galore connections at the back

Very flexible software, plus it caters very well for second zone connectivity

Covers all major decoding formats

Good service by Local and Nad technical online support

Sounds good in multichannel and stereo material

·
Registered
116 Posts
While I'm sure both are great receivers, I would go for the NAD. I've come to expect less BS and more performance than most receivers in its price range. The 763 will be out next month, which will have even more features than the 762, and I'm all but certain that their power output would easily meet THX specifications. There are hardly any software titles that even support DTS 96/24. I bought the 742 (cheap) to hold me over until the 763 is available, and it has easily out-performed the Sony ES receiver it replaced for me. I half-wonder whether I'll even need to buy the 763 at this point. ;)

·
Registered
270 Posts
The 1400 is a great receiver for music and HT and can be had for a great price of $699. I have tried two NAD-T752s and both had extensive quality control issues. The Yamaha has the YPAO feature which is unbeatable at that price point. If you want great troublefree HT and music performance then go with the 1400.

·
Registered
116 Posts
What sort of quality control issues have you had with the 752s, Nick? (I know that the early ones had some bugs, but I was under the impression that they got them resolved.) Also, I don't know that the 742s or 762s had the same problems. (My 742 works fine, but I haven't had it very long.)

·
Registered
270 Posts
dmeister, the QC issues were realted to fan noise, surround right channel shutting itself off, etc. I did speak to my dealer yesterday and he reassured me that NAD has corrected all their problems and I should have mentioned that in my earlier post, my bad. What I was trying to get at was that particular model was problematic whereas Yamaha generally makes gear that is relatively error free.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Quote:
I should have mentioned that in my earlier post, my bad. What I was trying to get at was that particular model was problematic whereas Yamaha generally makes gear that is relatively error free.
No prob. Though, in all fairness, most of the major manufacturers have had their "bad runs" at one time or another.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hallo,

You should, as told above, pick your best known music cd and try them both at the dealer (or at your home), and see which one performs better for you. I did not mention movies because, as already said, how could one tell me the exactly sound of a T-Rex? Most receivers are ok for movies. But music will be your judge.

I 'd go with NAD: I don't think Yamaha can perform better than NAD. But Yamaha has a more metallic, bright sound compare with NAD.

Another point regarding features: Yamaha has 40/50 dsp that you may not use 10% of it. Because they just kill the music. (my opinion...)

lmauta

·
Registered
553 Posts
"But Yamaha has a more metallic, bright sound compare with NAD."

How did you compare the two?IMO with proper testing (level matching to within .5dbs in the same room,and same speakers)one would be hard pressed to tell the difference.That however does not account for different dsp modes one company has compared to another.Yamaha has a great reputation for Quality and lack of QC issues.Again both will do good job, pick the features you want of the two and you wont go wrong with either.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just recently purchased the 1400 and I love it. No brightness that I can tell, sounds very close to my old Elite (known for warmth) with SACD but more detailed. I can hear the sliding down guitar stings. The ypao did wonders for my movie watching as the sound is not boomy or too "bright/loud". Sound just flows through the dynamics and the LFE is an effects channel again. I have never been a fan of DSP modes because that is not how the movie or music was recorded. However I have become a fan of the options they present. I have used THX to tame a couple movies and the DSP does wonders for watching movie channels over Cable. I don't think you will be disappointed with the Yammie amps plus you MAY regret not having the extra features such as video up and the greatest for me, having A/B speaker posts and powered Zone 2 without having to lose 7/6.1. For me it let me have 6.1 in my theater and power speakers on the patio.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.