AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

What do you think about for music i will drive kef q900 i think to use creative sound blaster ZxR to DAC Burr-Brown to nad preamp What do you think about ? i have onkyo 929 av receiver but i think sound quality will change after this amps ?

and what do you think about nad power and pre ?

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Nad power amplifiers are very good indeed.

Good idea what you're doing, adding a stereo pre-amp and powermp to improve 2 channel Hi-Fi. I did that myself, bought a AV amp, then added a stereo integrated amp, then replaced the AV amp with a Yamaha DSP-E492.

Thing is, the NAD doesn't have direct power amplifier input (the pre) so you need to set the NAD to a certain level everytime you want to watch a movie, it's a pain in the back side.

If you buy a amp with direct poweramplifier input, it bypasses the internal pre-amp, so it fuctions as a power amplifier.

I'd look into a amp that has this feature, not many do.

Audiolab 8200A does (bottom) you send left/right pre-out from your Onkyo into "poweramp in" to the Audiolab then switch the front mode swith to pre-power AV

http://www.audiocentre.co.id/product/324/4/1992lg.jpg
http://www.a1-sound.co.uk/data/prd1944lg.jpg

Very flexible amp. I use a combination of Audiolab amps (Q, SX, PX)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

i prefered this preamp for it have a subwoofer out. other preamps are very expensive in my contry i can find too much models.. sometimes some guys advive to me some models ... but i cand find and buy ..  what do you think about other models that have subwoofer out ? and pre out power and preamp team i know some amplifers are extreme quality like anthem p2 or mcintoch models but price is extreme too for me ...  What do you think about rotel ? RB 1582 is it good power amp ? and damping factor is 1000 it is extreme i think

?

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
You don't need a stereo pre-amp with subwoofer out, that's just stereo channels downmixed to mono. You'll get the same same with using stereo pre-outs into the sub. But then you have problem of stereo & LFE bass to the subwoofer. No problem for music as the AV amp would be off, but for movies the av amp and stereo amp will be on, sending bass to the sub.

I have only had experience with older Rotel gar.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

hmm understand now the logic of the connect ..  i can buy power amplifers 

[TD]
VINCENT (31)
[/TD]
[TD]
PIONEER (29)
[/TD]
[TD]
MARANTZ (23)
[/TD]
[TD]
CAYIN (22)
[/TD]
[TD] [TD]
ROTEL (20)
[/TD]
[TD]
DENON (18)
[/TD]
[TD]
[TD] [TD]
[TD]
Lexicon (1)
[/TD]

this amplifers only selling here do you have any information about this models ? power + pre team

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
You have two options

Add just a power amp to the L/R and maybe center to upgrade your Onkyo, worthwhile if your speakers are hard to drive and inefficient. (Left/right preouts from Onkyo to power amplifier)

or add a stereo integrated amplifier or a stereo pre-amplifer and stereo power amplifier to get a regular 2 channel Hi-Fi, with your Onkyo filling in the remaining channels. (Left/right preouts from Onkyo to pre-amp)

As to differences in power amplifiers, principles behind them are the same, just looks, component and build quality, sound quality, input gain, and output power, connectivity.

Problem is so many variables, your speakers, Onkyo, country (ie UK amps) sound etc etc.

There is also ATI, and Emotiva.

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizcell  /t/1522753/nad-c-165bee-stereo-preamplifier-c-275bee-stereo-power-amplifier#post_24488316

What do you think about for music i will drive kef q900 i think to use creative sound blaster ZxR to DAC Burr-Brown to nad preamp What do you think about ? i have onkyo 929 av receiver but i think sound quality will change after this amps ?

IME it is hard to beat the ease and performance that you get with modern AVRs, especially those with the full-boat Audyssey package (Multieq XT32) like the Onkyo 929.

I see a number of ways that backing away from the 929 will change sound quality and I don't mean that in a good way.

BTW, you mentioned Burr Brown. Here is the manufacturer's spec sheet on the DAC chip that centerpieces most of the Onkyo 900 series AVRs:

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/pcm1796.pdf

Note the words "Burr Bown" in the upper left hand corner of the page...

Burr Brown (actually owned by Texas Instrument) makes a variety of DAC parts from pennies per chip on up. But in the case of the PCM1796 this is a near-SOTA 24/192 part with outstanding analog Performance:

− Dynamic Range: 123 dB

− THD+N: 0.0005%
Quote:
and what do you think about nad power and pre ?

I guess you mean the ones in the thread title:

NAD C-165BEE Stereo Preamplifier + C-275BEE Stereo Power Amplifier

They are fine. However the C-165BEE seems to have no bass management, which is going to make subwoofer integration more difficult and likely a bit of a kluge.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

i dont have problems about power 929 is enought now for cinema i am using jamo d600 lcr 5 piece and sub thx speakers 4 ohm and they dont have sub bas drivers easy to drive but i want to go music system stere only i think kef q900 2 channel for only music i am not listening music extreme volume ..  i want to change the system  to stere for to hear all the detail in the music ..

models are topic name :) but i dont think now nad 2.1 i will go to 2.0 preamp and stereo power amp onkyo good sure but it built for cinma .. 18.5 kg  integrated 850 watt power supply  power amp is 20 kg only amp and 550 watt power supply and only 2 channel capasitors not same like av receiver  i will use it maximum 2*100 watt  and normal listening 20 30 watt in room all for to go quality detailed music ..

·
Banned
14,420 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by denizcell  /t/1522753/nad-c-165bee-stereo-preamplifier-c-275bee-stereo-power-amplifier#post_24489165

i dont have problems about power 929 is enought now for cinema i am using jamo d600 lcr 5 piece and sub thx speakers 4 ohm and they dont have sub bas drivers easy to drive but i want to go music system stere only i think kef q900 2 channel for only music i am not listening music extreme volume ..  i want to change the system  to stere for to hear all the detail in the music ..

In blunt words, you may be on a fool's journey.

If you were going to spend extra money over the fine KEF Q900s you'd get a lot more sound quality out of a good powered subwoofer than more expensive 2-channel electronics.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

and how the sound quailty occur ? can you explain it in technical mean ? what is important on amplifer ?  what about capasitors ? transistors ? transformers ? power supply ? quality of the meterials ?  are you trying to tell 18.5 kg amplifer all in one 9 channel and built for cinema will be better than a power amplifer ? for example Anthem P2 or P5 ? All channel have own private transformers ... on 929 ? 9.2  9 transformers you think ?

it is 929 look it onkyo

now look

its again onkyo 5000 .... 

• Max. Power: 170 W/Ch (4 Ω, 1 kHz, 1%, 2 Channels Driven, IEC)
  • AWRAT (Advanced Wide Range Amplifier Technology)
  • DIDRC (Dynamic Intermodulation Distortion Reduction Circuitry)
  • Quad Push-Pull Amplification Design with Three-Stage Inverted Darlington Circuitry
  • Symmetrical Layout of L/R Channels
  • Two Massive Toroidal Transformers with Sub Transformer
  • Four Large 27,000 μF Capacitors

•  

• Separate Anti-Vibration Aluminum Panels for Top, Front, and Sides
  • New Circuit Board Construction to Reduce Vibration
  • Bi-Amping and BTL (Bridged Transless) Capability
  • Balanced XLR Input for Monaural Amplification in BTL Mode
  • Gold-Plated, Machined Solid Brass RCA Inputs
  • Gold-Plated Large Speaker Posts
  • 12 V Trigger Input and Output
  • Extra-Large Fast-Response Peak Watt Meters

• 4 ohm only 170 watt .....  2 channel driven ...   23.5 kg!

8 ohm may be 100 watt and ?  same same amplifers ? same sound quality ?    hmm yess it is "" In blunt words, you may be on a fool's journey. ""

·
Banned
5,866 Posts

Quote:
They are fine. However the C-165BEE seems to have no bass management,

That's because it's a stereo pre-amplifier.
They're little more than input switch and potentiometer. Ignore the few people here when they say everything sound the same. There are no DSP electronics in stereo pre-amps. Which is good, a pure unprocessed signal. Why do you think some people use a Oppo BD player directly into a power amplifier?

Your point that a AV amplifier power supply shares it's supply to all amplifier stages, DSP and video section. A power amplifier does not.

Plenty of power and current reserves in these amps

http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/ces2005-ati.jpg

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom  /t/1522753/nad-c-165bee-stereo-preamplifier-c-275bee-stereo-power-amplifier#post_24489503

That's because it's a stereo pre-amplifier.
They're little more than input switch and potentiometer. Ignore the few people here when they say everything sound the same. There are no DSP electronics in stereo pre-amps. Which is good, a pure unprocessed signal. Why do you think some people use a Oppo BD player directly into a power amplifier?

Your point that a AV amplifier power supply shares it's supply to all amplifier stages, DSP and video section. A power amplifier does not.

Plenty of power and current reserves in these amps

http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/ces2005-ati.jpg
i dont think cd player i will use digital audio converter bur brown in sound card creative  some preamplifers have dac but expensive ... onkyo P-3000R 32 bit processing dac but expensive  creative zxr sound blaser is a good sound card 24 bit 192 khz very quality gold plated and not extreme expensive i am decided to power amp now rotel RB-1582 but not sure about preamp i wish to use my subwoofer when watching movies 2.1 but  is a 2.1 preamp quality as goog as a 2.0 processor  which processor i am not sure now :(  i hope rotel has pream out

1 - 13 of 13 Posts