AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I am currently looking for an integrated amplifier to play music on. I have an entry level JVC 5 channel reciever and am looking for a real quality increase for music. I have been very interested in the NAD C372 and was wondering what you people thought?

Speakers: JBL S38II, Adire Rava

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here I come with a loaded question: What kind of quality increase are we talking about? At first guess i'd say a lot, but im really not so sure.

And do I really need 150 watts per channel or would the C352 be a better choice? (80x2)

·
Registered
284 Posts
NAD power ratings are very conservative. 80 x 2 would probably be plenty of power unless you are running a difficult load.

You will definately notice an improvement. However, nothing is going to fix the limitations of the sound through and entry level receiver. You jvc will still be acting as a preamp.

I imaging when money permits you will upgrade the receiver (if you are like most of us) so if you are going to get an amp you can't go wrong with NAD. You get a lot of bang for the buck.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why would I need to use the JVC as a preamp? Doesn't the C352 process and amplify? Wouldn't I only need to use the JVC if I was buying a power amp? The C352 is an Integrated amplifier. I think it acts as a preamp and an amplifier in the same box?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Are you planning on running a completely separate music system? If so, then you will hook your CD player to the NAD directly. It all depends on what you are trying to do.

The NAD integrateds can be used either as and integrated amp or as just a power amplifier. You can disable the pre-amplifier by removing a jumper. It is a very flexible unit.

I had a C370 that I used just as an amp. Very few amps have a speaker selector that can be controlled by a remote. This was a great feature. I have since upgraded but I do miss that feature.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am planning to use the NAD with the Preamp enabled. I am planning on moving the JVC to another room altogether.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
Have you considered the C370??? The C372 replaced the C370 and can be found for around $400.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is the difference between the c372 and c370? Is the c372 worth the extra money, or is the c370 basically the same thing?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have a C272 (with NAD T163 as pre-amp and video switch), used 50/50 for music and a/v. I auditioned the C270 (which, like the 272 shares the same amplifier with the matching 3XX component) and found there was more of a difference than just extra power. The sound is cleaner, I thought, and worth the extra few bucks. I suspect the same is true going from the 370 to the 372.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have been a very happy C372 owner for more than month now (upgraded from C350). Although I have not heard the C370, I can say for sure the detachable PC feature makes the C372 a better amp than its predecessor. When I replaced the stock PC on my C372 with an after-market PC purchased on Audiogon, I could spot the sonic improvement right away - cleaner, smoother, better imaging and bigger sound stage. I've also replaced the stock jumpers with the Tara Labs RSC Link jumpers - an inexpensive tweak even though I am not sure if it did any magic to the amp. :D

·
Registered
152 Posts
I don't know about the 372, but the 272 comes with a *much* heftier power cord than it's predecessor, and I believe an upgraded power supply.

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
I bought a C270 last month to power my mains(Klipsch KLF-20's) so I could use my Carver AV-705x to power the surrounds and center since I'm moving to 7.1. When I compared the C270 and C272 in a blind testing on the same Klipsch RB-5II's with an NAD T163 in stereo at a B&M, I could not tell the difference. Granted the Klipsch speakers are extremely efficient but I used them since I use 4 of them for my surrounds. I didn't hear the difference of the 30 watts/ch extra power, but then again doesn't it take doubling the power output to gain 3 db's???

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, lets say there is a difference between the c370 and c372. Would there be a similar difference between the c350 and c352? Im still not sure I need 150 watts of power. Is there a quality difference between the C352 and C372 besides power?

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
Tarron_D, If there was a difference between the C370 and C372, I would guess a similar difference would be there between the C350 and C352. What are you looking to spend??? In general it's always better to go with more power if you can afford it!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, cheaper is better for me because that means I don't have to work so much to pay for it. I could afford the C372, but the C352 is a couple hundred bucks cheaper, and thats one less month over the summer I have to work. I guess it comes down to how much power I want, and more importantly, how much I need. Truthfully, I don't think that these S38II's from JBL need anything more than 80 watts. The NAD BEE with 50 watts would probably work just fine. But as my speakers will most lilkely be ever changing I think I should invest in the C352. If the only difference from the C352 and the C372 is power, than the extra wattage isn't really worth it for me.

·
Registered
945 Posts
The C320BEE is an incredible imtegrated amplifier for the money. I would actually suggest it over the C352 which just doesn't seem to be as refined as the 320BEE. What is really nice about the NAD amps is that while they don't offer the same wattage as competitors, their readings are very honest and their current delivery is excellent. As long as you don't expect TOO much from it, it can be the perfect amp for a lot of situations. It drives my Polk LSi7 speakers (4 ohm, not very sensitive) to levels that have the neighbors threatening to lynch me.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well that certainly throws a wrench into the works, now I have more to think about.(J\\K:D ) Again, all I am looking for is more quality, and enough power to run my speakers at pretty much any level they can handle without distortion. These speakers do have a limit, and i'd like to be able to get there when I feel like it. So do you think the BEE has enough power for me? You say it will run 4 ohm speakers loud, so these 8 ohm JBL's must be able to get very loud as well? Im not the kind of person who plays their music at insane levels, just enough to really rock out on.:cool:

·
Premium Member
782 Posts
Tarron_D, What's your price ceiling??? There are several authorized dealers that have the discontinued NAD's for a great deal.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Its about $800 US. I also want to add in a Cd player to that budget. I am currently using my computer as a source and want to move to an actual Cd player. I basically have two choices from the prices i've seen. I can either go with the C320BEE and the matching BEE Cd player, or the C352 and that same cd player. Again, it all comes down to power requirements. (And about Milkman's comment of the BEE being more refined than the 352.)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.