AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I just bought the NAD D 3020 digital hybrid amplifier and I notice that it gets hot after about 20 minutes of use. It's quite warmer compared to other amps that I used.
I just want to know if other users experience the same.

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Harold

My D3020 only gets warm, even driving to 6 ohm nominal book-shelfs at moderate to high volume levels (-20 db).

If you have it oriented horizontally, make sure you use the supplied silicone feet underneath to allow for adequate air circulation.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Everybody should have one of these in their toolbox, for $10-$15...

The heatsinks on my amps are 108.2 and 112.1, ambient temperature is 77.0

Are my amps cool, warm, or hot?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread, but seeing if other d 3020 owners have come on this issue: I'm not sure if the USB port on my Nad works. I bought a couple of adapters to use with the cords I have to try to plug my iPod into the Nad. No luck, but it could be the cheap adapters, I suppose. Are y'all having any luck finding cords that are compatible with the weird usb b type Nad uses on the d 3020? The only ones that would work with an iPhone are like $40. Why did Nad use such an uncommon implementation of sub? Very frustrating.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Sorry to revive an old thread, but seeing if other d 3020 owners have come on this issue: I'm not sure if the USB port on my Nad works. I bought a couple of adapters to use with the cords I have to try to plug my iPod into the Nad. No luck, but it could be the cheap adapters, I suppose. Are y'all having any luck finding cords that are compatible with the weird usb b type Nad uses on the d 3020? The only ones that would work with an iPhone are like $40. Why did Nad use such an uncommon implementation of sub? Very frustrating.
Might want to read the manual.

• There's also an asynchronous USB input for using your computer as a high-fidelity music source
  • Miniplug analog input for connecting an iPod or other portable player.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Might want to read the manual.

• There's also an asynchronous USB input for using your computer as a high-fidelity music source
  • Miniplug analog input for connecting an iPod or other portable player.
I've looked at the manual. My understanding is that using the analog miniplug will utilize the DAC in the player, not the D 3020. I would like to play from my iPod, but use the DAC in the D 3020, like I do with my other receivers. My understanding is that this can only be accomplished by using an optical cable or the usb. Is there a technical reason that there aren't 30-pin to b-type cables that would let me connect my iPod, or is there something else I am missing? It seems like only Type A to Type B cables exist (I don't have one, but I suppose I will need to get one to use the NAD's usb connectivity/check to see if it works), which is fine for connecting a computer, but not for other peripherals.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The USB input on this device is for using your computer as a high-fidelity music source. It will function as a soundcard/DAC, not for connecting usb devices to play media.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've looked at the manual. My understanding is that using the analog miniplug will utilize the DAC in the player, not the D 3020. I would like to play from my iPod, but use the DAC in the D 3020, like I do with my other receivers. My understanding is that this can only be accomplished by using an optical cable or the usb. Is there a technical reason that there aren't 30-pin to b-type cables that would let me connect my iPod, or is there something else I am missing? It seems like only Type A to Type B cables exist (I don't have one, but I suppose I will need to get one to use the NAD's usb connectivity/check to see if it works), which is fine for connecting a computer, but not for other peripherals.
Apple makes something called a lightning to USB camera adapter. Really it can output from a lightning device, i.e. iPad or iPhone to any USB accepting device, including a USB DAC. So you need that adapter then a USB printer cable to get the digital signal from an iPhone to your amp's USB DAC.

I have to say I wonder if you'll see a huge difference though. The DAC in the iPhone 6 is supposed to be pretty good. Plus the USB B connector is in the back, so you lose the convenience factor of having the aux jack in front. If you really want to try it you could get the adapter at Amazon or Best Buy and if you don't see a difference you could always return.

Edit, sorry I just saw you said iPod. Does your iPod have the lightning plug or the older 30-pin plug? You could still do it but you might need multiple adapters.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Apple makes something called a lightning to USB camera adapter. Really it can output from a lightning device, i.e. iPad or iPhone to any USB accepting device, including a USB DAC. So you need that adapter then a USB printer cable to get the digital signal from an iPhone to your amp's USB DAC.

I have to say I wonder if you'll see a huge difference though. The DAC in the iPhone 6 is supposed to be pretty good. Plus the USB B connector is in the back, so you lose the convenience factor of having the aux jack in front. If you really want to try it you could get the adapter at Amazon or Best Buy and if you don't see a difference you could always return.

Edit, sorry I just saw you said iPod. Does your iPod have the lightning plug or the older 30-pin plug? You could still do it but you might need multiple adapters.
Yeah, it's an old 160gb iPod classic with the 30 pin. I got super cheap usb a to usb b adapter, but it doesn't work.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Yeah, it's an old 160gb iPod classic with the 30 pin. I got super cheap usb a to usb b adapter, but it doesn't work.

How are you getting from your 30 pin connector to USB A? You need to go 30 pin to USB A, then use a printer cable to go A to B. Everyone who uses a USB DAC is using a printer cable, whether it's a Belkin Gold for $10 or an Audioquest Diamond for $500, it's in essence a printer cable.

Apple does make a 30 pin to USB A adapter still:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC531AM/A/apple-ipad-camera-connection-kit

They call it a camera kit but it is to get USB digital out so it should work. Once again I do wonder if "the juice is worth the squeeze."

·
Registered
171 Posts
How are you getting from your 30 pin connector to USB A? You need to go 30 pin to USB A, then use a printer cable to go A to B. Everyone who uses a USB DAC is using a printer cable, whether it's a Belkin Gold for $10 or an Audioquest Diamond for $500, it's in essence a printer cable.

Apple does make a 30 pin to USB A adapter still:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC531AM/A/apple-ipad-camera-connection-kit

They call it a camera kit but it is to get USB digital out so it should work. Once again I do wonder if "the juice is worth the squeeze."
Every cable I have for the 30 pin and ends in a type a male. I bought a type a female to type b male adapter (actually 2) but no usb connection. I guess I'll have to buy a type a to type b cable to see if my computer will connect. Just frustrated that Nad wouldn't use the standard type a usb input, since table what comes with any peripheral device (that I have, at least).

I''ve already had to request a replacement for the remote that doesn't work, and the battery compartment won't open to allow replacement.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Every cable I have for the 30 pin and ends in a type a male. I bought a type a female to type b male adapter (actually 2) but no usb connection. I guess I'll have to buy a type a to type b cable to see if my computer will connect. Just frustrated that Nad wouldn't use the standard type a usb input, since table what comes with any peripheral device (that I have, at least).

I''ve already had to request a replacement for the remote that doesn't work, and the battery compartment won't open to allow replacement.
That type B connector is the standard for USB DACs. Why that should be I don't know but it's not just NAD doing it. Pretty much every USB DAC except the DAC on a stick type like the Audioquest Dragonfly use the B connector.

Just buying an A to B cable (what I am calling a printer cable) won't do it, since both A ends will be male. I think you need that camera kit.

·
Registered
171 Posts
That type B connector is the standard for USB DACs. Why that should be I don't know but it's not just NAD doing it. Pretty much every USB DAC except the DAC on a stick type like the Audioquest Dragonfly use the B connector.

Just buying an A to B cable (what I am calling a printer cable) won't do it, since both A ends will be male. I think you need that camera kit.
Thanks for the info.

That makes sense on the USB DAC front, now that I think about other products I've read about. I've just not dealt with anything but full size AVRs or separates myself, so these smaller components are kind of new to me.

I'm just going to give up on the iPod or phone connecting if I can verify that the USB port does work by connecting my laptop.

My eventual plan is to have all my receivers throughout the house hardwired to a central NAS so that I can access my whole library from that; I now realize that the NAD doesn't have an ethernet port. I have not yet purchased an NAS. Any suggestions on hooking up an NAS in another room connected by an ethernet run to the NAD 3020? Optical would be preferred.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thanks for the info.

That makes sense on the USB DAC front, now that I think about other products I've read about. I've just not dealt with anything but full size AVRs or separates myself, so these smaller components are kind of new to me.

I'm just going to give up on the iPod or phone connecting if I can verify that the USB port does work by connecting my laptop.

My eventual plan is to have all my receivers throughout the house hardwired to a central NAS so that I can access my whole library from that; I now realize that the NAD doesn't have an ethernet port. I have not yet purchased an NAS. Any suggestions on hooking up an NAS in another room connected by an ethernet run to the NAD 3020? Optical would be preferred.
There are different solutions, I am not the best to answer your question. I would go to computeraudiophile.com to get some answers. There is a whole sub-forum dedicated to networking.

FWIW, I use Roon software which runs as a core on one of my systems, I output to my only other system by using an Apple TV.

Edit to ask, do you have some sort of player software you are using? iTunes is pretty standard for the Mac side, I know there are various players for the PC side. WMP will work, but I think it's not the best ergonomically. It's nice to have a player with a good control app that can be run from a phone or tablet.

·
Registered
171 Posts
There are different solutions, I am not the best to answer your question. I would go to computeraudiophile.com to get some answers. There is a whole sub-forum dedicated to networking.

FWIW, I use Roon software which runs as a core on one of my systems, I output to my only other system by using an Apple TV.

Edit to ask, do you have some sort of player software you are using? iTunes is pretty standard for the Mac side, I know there are various players for the PC side. WMP will work, but I think it's not the best ergonomically. It's nice to have a player with a good control app that can be run from a phone or tablet.
Currently, I use iTunes, but I'm looking at other options, as it doesn't seem overly difficult to batch convert ALAC to FLAC if there is a compelling reason to go outside of the Apple ecosystem.

I had stumbled on computer audiophile in searching for an answer to this question, but thanks for pointing me in that direction.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts