AVS Forum banner

1521 - 1540 of 2724 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,314 Posts
sorry to post this twice but I have a setup question on M17v2

my unit will not always recognize a stereo only source unless I also have digital audio turned on: I just set it to any HDMI input

is this normal? this seems to be something I just noticed and I am wondering if the unit is defective?

tia

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have finally taken my first steps with NAD gear...my very own M27 was delivered and I hooked it up last night. Most of the evening was spent excising cables and connections from my old Adcom amp and getting everything calibrated again.

But even with some short, and not especially spirited, listening the amp heated up quite a bit...much more than I experienced with an in store demo of an M22. Where the M22 was slightly warm at most after 45 minutes of listening, my M27 was warm bordering on hot. And Im not even using all 7 channels.

It's in a cabinet with fans so maybe that is contributing...but I expected a digital amp to run cooler and it seems to be running much warmer than the Adcom ever did.

Sound normal?

·
Registered
920 Posts
sorry to post this twice but I have a setup question on M17v2

my unit will not always recognize a stereo only source unless I also have digital audio turned on: I just set it to any HDMI input

is this normal? this seems to be something I just noticed and I am wondering if the unit is defective?

tia
Doesn't happen on my unit, so does not seem normal. Contact NAD Support...?

·
Registered
920 Posts
I have finally taken my first steps with NAD gear...my very own M27 was delivered and I hooked it up last night. Most of the evening was spent excising cables and connections from my old Adcom amp and getting everything calibrated again.

But even with some short, and not especially spirited, listening the amp heated up quite a bit...much more than I experienced with an in store demo of an M22. Where the M22 was slightly warm at most after 45 minutes of listening, my M27 was warm bordering on hot. And Im not even using all 7 channels.

It's in a cabinet with fans so maybe that is contributing...but I expected a digital amp to run cooler and it seems to be running much warmer than the Adcom ever did.

Sound normal?
My M27 is in a cabinet on it's own shelf with open front and back with excellent natural ventilation yet still get hot fairly quickly. My previous NuForce and Primare class-D amps didn't get this hot. I personally have no issue with this apart from hot summer days when I prefer not to turn my system on because I don't wanna live in a sauna.

Reactions: jspeights

·
Super Moderator
21,314 Posts
Doesn't happen on my unit, so does not seem normal. Contact NAD Support...?

I have been in contact with NAD support but nothing yet

Crutchfield has been kind enough to offer an advance replacement unit: it is on the way (last one they had in stock)

·
Registered
920 Posts
I have been in contact with NAD support but nothing yet

Crutchfield has been kind enough to offer an advance replacement unit: it is on the way (last one they had in stock)
Excellent service!

could you confirm you have same firmware?
I still have the original M17 with NAD's initial firmware from 2015 (no new installed modules yet). I can't check the firmware details as my electronics are currently disconnected.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
@markrubin wouldn't it make sense to merge the M17 v2 thread with this one now that it is released. There is no significant difference I can think of (aside from the Blue dongle).

Just like the M15HD and M15HD2. They simply came with different MDC modules installed from the factory.

·
Super Moderator
21,314 Posts
@markrubin wouldn't it make sense to merge the M17 v2 thread with this one now that it is released. There is no significant difference I can think of (aside from the Blue dongle).

Just like the M15HD and M15HD2. They simply came with different MDC modules installed from the factory.

agreed: this will be addressed soon
if threads are merged, it puts every post in date order and sometimes continuity is lost:
or the v2 thread could be closed with a redirect here

·
Super Moderator
21,314 Posts
I found this in the M17v2 manual with regard to the measurement microphone connection for Dirac Live calibration:

-the supplied microphone can be connected to either the MIC or USB input of your computer or to the USB input of the M17
-If the mic will to be connected to the USB input of your computer or M17, ensure the mic phone jack adapter and USB mic adapter are all connected together
-the USB mic adapter is not necessary if the mic will be connected to the MIC input of your computer

·
Super Moderator
21,314 Posts
I received the advance replacement M17v2 and it has the same issue: no sound out from analog stereo inputs unless digital audio is set to on: even to an unused input

I have had no reply from NAD and I don't know if this is how it is intended or is a firmware bug: it does work if I switch from a digital source to analog input once: then if I switch off the stereo input and back: no sound. To me something is wrong

this leads me to think it will not pass an analog stereo signal, even in direct mode: it converts everything to digital

now I don't know what to do

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I received the advance replacement M17v2 and it has the same issue: no sound out from analog stereo inputs unless digital audio is set to on: even to an unused input

I have had no reply from NAD and I don't know if this is how it is intended or is a firmware bug: it does work if I switch from a digital source to analog input once: then if I switch off the stereo input and back: no sound. To me something is wrong

this leads me to think it will not pass an analog stereo signal, even in direct mode: it converts everything to digital

That’s not good! Hopefully nad Can fix this issue.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts

Mark, I have the M15HD but they should be very similar.

I hope this is not too confusing as I had a hard time trying to explain the same thing to Lyngdorf owners (very similar). Maybe reading the Source Setup in the manual will as well.

There are 9 sources which are not tied to any specific audio or video input (although there are defaults). You can manually choose 1) analog audio input, 2) a digital audio input, and a 3) Video Input. The only limitation is that you can only select HDMI audio for the same as the HDMI video source selected. You can use sources multiple times in different combinations. There is an option for LAST video source as well as NONE (-- on the M15) for analog and/or digital audio inputs.

For simplicity I have edited all 9 of my sources so that there is either a digital or analog audio source, but never both. I believe this same practice may solve your issue.

I'm not sure a M15 screenshot would help you. I can post one if it will help. A M17 owner posting would be more helpful.

·
Super Moderator
21,314 Posts
Marc
I appreciate the explanation but I believe I am following the source setup instructions in the manual and I have set up a fair number of processors in my day :)

specifically this note is bolded on p15 and appears twice:
"an incoming digital signal present at the assigned digital input will always take precedence over the assigned analog audio input if both are present: To maintain the analog audio input for the particular source select OFF at the digital setting of the same Source menu"
and this is the issue: if I select digital audio OFF to enable analog audio only, there is no sound: so I have to turn digital input ON and assign an UNUSED digital input to get the analog input to work: unless there is something else I missed I believe this is an issue NAD should fix, or explain what is going on

take a look at these screen shots: I have an Aurender A10 stereo analog out connected to source 8 of the M17: in the left shot it shows what I believe is the correct setup: analog audio is set to the correct input stereo1, and digital audio is OFF as per the manual: no sound
the screen shot on the right shows that I had to turn digital audio ON to an unused HDMI1 input in order to get sound

Attachments

·
Registered
6,078 Posts
If you select analog input with digital audio OFF, have you tried giving it some "analog gain" to see if that changes anything?

·
Super Moderator
21,314 Posts
If you select analog input with digital audio OFF, have you tried giving it some "analog gain" to see if that changes anything?

just tried that: that is just a trim adjustment and does not fix the issue

·
Registered
920 Posts
and this is the issue: if I select digital audio OFF to enable analog audio only, there is no sound: so I have to turn digital input ON and assign an UNUSED digital input to get the analog input to work: unless there is something else I missed I believe this is an issue NAD should fix, or explain what is going on
Weird. If you get this fixed remember that the M17 (by design) digitizes all analogue signal inputs... so are you sure you really want to use it?

·
Super Moderator
21,314 Posts
the M17 (by design) digitizes all analogue signal inputs...

that is not my understanding: the manual page 21 says the DIRECT mode will play digital or analog sources in their native format

if the M17.2 operated per the manual, I would be quite pleased :)

·
Registered
920 Posts
that is not my understanding: the manual page 21 says the DIRECT mode will play digital or analog sources in their native format

if the M17.2 operated per the manual, I would be quite pleased :)
Supposedly that just means the M17 doesn't add any additional format processing on top of the signal it is outputting, like NAD's EARS surround mode for example, but an incoming analogue signal is digitized before output. This has been confirmed in several reviews.

As an example, check out Page 2 of Kal Rubsinson's review from Music In the Round # 70: https://www.stereophile.com/content/music-round-70-page-2

"The M17's sound, too, was delightful. I used it for a few weeks without Audyssey, connected, via the M27 or my Bryston 9BST power amp, to the Monitor Audio Silver 8 or Paradigm Studio/60 v.3 speakers. There are no multichannel analog inputs, and the stereo inputs are digitized at the M17's internal processing bandwidth of 24-bit/192kHz. In practice, the analog inputs sounded transparent, but direct A/B comparisons weren't possible."

1521 - 1540 of 2724 Posts