AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new NAD Masters Series will be shipping in February and since I have mine on order I figured I'd start a thread for owners and anyone else interested to congregate.

For those unfamiliar with the new NAD product line, here are a few beauty shots to whet your appetite.

http://www.dynavox.ch/de/NAD/m15.jpg

http://www.dynavox.ch/de/NAD/m25.jpg

M15 Processor Key Specs:

- Dolby Digital EX, ProLogic IIx (movies and music), DTS ES, DTS 96/24, Neo:6, THX EX, THX Cinema, THX Music, EARS, Enhanced Stereo, Stereo Bypass

- Video upconversion; Composite and S-Video inputs available on Component Video output

- HDMI connection – 2 inputs, 1 output (video switching only)

- OSD chip is completely bypassed when not selected

- “Direct†Component Video output without OSD

- Lip sync compensation – (option to 100mS)

- Flexible Bass Management including individual crossover frequencies for Front, Center, and Surround speakers

- Digital domain tone controls with center channel “dialog†control

- Dual differential 24 bit, 192 kHz DACs (Burr Brown, Wolfson and AKM)

- Dynamic Headroom Scaling for optimum resolution and S/N ratio for all program and decoding combinations

- Linear Power Supply with custom Toroidal transformer with proprietary shielding to eliminate EMF leakage

M25 7-Channel Key Specs:

- 7 X 160 watts 20Hz – 20kHz, at less than 0.03% THD with all channels driven simultaneously (180 watts @ 0.1% THD)

- Dynamic power of 220 watts at 8 Ohms, 400 watts at 4 Ohms, and 540 watts at 2 Ohms

- S/N Ratio >96 dB ref. 1 W, >118 dB ref. 160W

- Monoblock amplifier design

- Unique electronic ground isolation circuit to prevent ground loop noise

- Fully complementary differential class A voltage amp with a push/pull cascode output stage

- Custom 1,800VA Holmgren Toroidal transformer

- Multiple 100,000 uF, 100V low ESR capacitors

- Weight 96.3 lbs

There is another thread running on the Masters Series in the "Ultra High End" forum area, but at $2999 for either the M15 processor or the M25 7-Channel Amp, I think the line will get more interest here.

I'll be posting my initial thoughts once I take ownership next month.

Stay tuned . . .

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So am I the only one interested in this series? Doesn't seem like there is as much buzz around this new product release as I would have expected (there was for a while).

I feel like a kid waiting for his Christmas present. I practically read through the product brochures twice a day in anticipation. It's a sickness. Man I'm a geek. :D

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
look$ nice but it$ probably way out of my range price wi$e!! fully undeestand your excitement though ;D

love NAD though I still own a CD player and previously their receivers, and these look gorgeous even though i love the normal battleship gray

Also, NAD is my benchmark. when they come out with a digital stereo amp, the days of analog SS will officially be over (they can be consigned to the Vintage area)

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sirius - You know there is a stereo integrated amp in the Masters Series. It's not digital (the amps aren't anyway), but everyone that has seen and heard it has walked away drooling.

BTW - MSRP on the M15 and M25 is $2999 each. So while they aren't as affordable as the rest of the NAD line-up, they are still a bargain for what you get -- which has always been a NAD philosophy.

Cheers.

·
Banned
3,573 Posts
They sounded very, very nice at CEDIA. Smooth...open...musical. Lovely to look at, too.

I was just P.O.'ed about no HDMI transcoding.

Eric

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by egcarter
They sounded very, very nice at CEDIA. Smooth...open...musical. Lovely to look at, too.

Eric
It's always nice to hear from someone that has had first hand experience with these units. I'm happy with component video for now until the HDMI specs get finalized and all the bugs get worked out. My top priority is sound quality, so I'm willing to give up the convenience of HDMI transcoding, but I understand your disappointment. I was hoping that the M15 would at least support the HDMI 1.1 audio processing spec, but I guess I'll just get that in the M15 successor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi,

Can anyone confirm if the M15 will accept/process high resolution multi-channel PCM (i.e multi-channel 96Khz/24-bit PCM) ?

The reason I ask is as follows:

I currently own a Denon AVC-A1SE and was thinking about upgrading to the Denon AVC-A1XVA. However, I am warming to the idea of going for a separate multi-channel power amplifier and pre-processor, and very much like the look of the NAD Master series. Quality, THX Ultra-2, 7.1 and falls withing my £4K price brackett (i.e. £2k M25 and £2k M15). Looking ahead it will also be easier to simply trade up to the M15's successor to get HDMI 1.3 and native Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD decoding whilst keeping the M25 multi-channel amplifier.

However, I understand that because HDMI 1.3 has not yet been finalised, that first generation HD/Blu-Ray players (Sept.06 for the UK) will transcode the Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD soundtracks to high resolution multi-channel PCM which can be transported over HDMI 1.1/1.2

Consequently this is why I would like to confirm that the M15 will accept/process hi-res multi-channel PCM on its HDMI interface as I'd like to be able to benefit from the Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD soundtracks as soon as I manage to get hold of my first HD DVD &/or Blu-ray player.

Thank you in advance for any help

Regards

Adrian

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by egcarter

Eric

What speakers where they using.

Allen

·
Registered
30,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekPM19
What speakers where they using.

Allen
PSB, of course.

Kal

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Unfortunately no, the M15 does not accept nor does it process any audio through HDMI. It is only an HDMI video switcher. I spoke directly to NAD about this.

I plan on getting the M15 anyway since I won't be buying a first gen HDDVD / BluRay player. The first gen products are always super expensive and outclassed quickly. I'll wait until there is a combo player released from a manufacturer with a reputation for excellent sound and video quality. By that time, there should be a good library of movies available and NAD will have hopefully updated the Masters Series.

The only pre-pros that are planned to accept HDMI 1.1 (possibly 1.2) in the near future are the Integra Research RDC 7.1 ($5,000) and the Anthem D2 ($6500).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisponge
Unfortunately no, the M15 does not accept nor does it process any audio through HDMI. It is only an HDMI video switcher. I spoke directly to NAD about this.

I plan on getting the M15 anyway since I won't be buying a first gen HDDVD / BluRay player. The first gen products are always super expensive and outclassed quickly. I'll wait until there is a combo player released from a manufacturer with a reputation for excellent sound and video quality. By that time, there should be a good library of movies available and NAD will have hopefully updated the Masters Series.

The only pre-pros that are planned to accept HDMI 1.1 (possibly 1.2) in the near future are the Integra Research RDC 7.1 ($5,000) and the Anthem D2 ($6500).
Thank you for the comments.

It would be interesting to know if providing HDMI 1.1 support requires new hardware or is simply a firmware update! Seems strange why new processors such as this are not at least supporting HDMI 1.1

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Based on my research, changing to HDMI 1.1 (or any future version) requires a hardware upgrade. Disappointing I know, but when you consider that NAD was finalizing development of the M15 right when HDMI 1.1 specs were being announced, it makes more sense.

As I'm sure you know, there will always be some new format just around the corner, so you just have to decide when the getting is good enough. Otherwise you'll be perpetually waiting.

I'd rather reap the rewards of a great sounding piece of gear now, give it time for all of the kinks to work out of the new tech and ugrade again in a few years.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Quote:
Based on my research, changing to HDMI 1.1 (or any future version) requires a hardware upgrade. Disappointing I know, but when you consider that NAD was finalizing development of the M15 right when HDMI 1.1 specs were being announced, it makes more sense.

As I'm sure you know, there will always be some new format just around the corner, so you just have to decide when the getting is good enough. Otherwise you'll be perpetually waiting.

I'd rather reap the rewards of a great sounding piece of gear now, give it time for all of the kinks to work out of the new tech and ugrade again in a few years.
Shouldn't this upgrade be as simple as a board replacement?

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin. W
Shouldn't this upgrade be as simple as a board replacement?
I would hope so, but I have no direct knowledge of what it will take. There has been no promotion by NAD that hardware upgrades will be an option.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Quote:
I would hope so, but I have no direct knowledge of what it will take. There has been no promotion by NAD that hardware upgrades will be an option.
Well it was promoted that upgrading my S170 would be as easy as a board replacement. Great - the minute they release the S170i, I'm all over it. Until I find out the price. $750. Um, forget it. One quarter the price of a new unit... Does that seem excessive to anyone? Save a bit and wait and the next gen will be out. I'm certain it was mainly licensing fees to DTS and Dolby but still...

What really gets me is now, almost 5 years later, they still want $750 (plus dealer install fee) for that darn S170i board. You'd think they'd like to help their customer a bit by maybe blowing out the old technology but nope....

Oh well, I'm still so happy with my S170. But whew, does the M Series make me squirm with desire...

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When you consider that most used AV gear sells for 50% off retail, I think spending 25% for a hardware upgrade could actually be a good value. I just depends on what you get for your money. Hell, I'd pay a third of the retail price of the M15 if NAD offered an HDMI 1.3 / TrueHD / DTS HD upgrade a year from now.

PS - I've been "squirming" for the Masters Series for months, I just hope they stay on target for shipments next week. :cool:

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I dont think any of the current HDMI-equipped processors will be able to upgrade their boards including the upcoming Anthem D2 (assuming they release it as planned). The HDMI 1.3 spec will require significant changes and it is not cost effective and feasible for a company to service that many units once they have been distributed. This is why companies like Parasound Halo choose to sit it out for now. HDMI in its current form offers little benefits and much to be desired.

Understand that companies need to maintain long term profitability and simply upgrading "old" hardware is not profitable unless they charge huge upgrade price. So in about a year or so, you will see one of two things: a)completely new processors or b)very high hardware upgrade prices

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After months of delays, I finally got a solid release date . . . The M15 and M25 ship out tomorrow!

I'll post my thoughts and pics after I get them next week.

Cheers,

- Tim

·
Registered
4 Posts
No news :(

Hifisponge do yu corectly receive yur monster Nad Master Series? I really in waiting of yur test (hard to wind on the web ;) ), for know if i can go on the master Series ;)

What is yur speacker Hifi's? Me i had some B&W's (Xt series)

PS: hello all :)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.