AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a second system. It will be dedicated to two channel, with two sets of speakers. The system will be used for the dinning room as background music and the front porch (outdoor) while rocking and smoking a cigar. I would appreciate all thoughts on CD player, per amp, power amp and speakers. No other source is needed. Budget about $5,000.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
I would give a look to the Cambridge Audio 840A integrated and 840C CD player, a pair of Totem Acoustics Sttaf floorstanders and some Energy outdoor speakers. Lots of options at your price point--just what I would do with the money if I were designing such a system.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
I was very impressed with the NAD, but never had a chance to hear anything from Adcom.

Integrated amp would probably be the best way to go, but not sure how many have multi zone outputs. I'm assuming that the outdoor system is well protected from the elements...not looking for actual "outdoor" speakers, right?

Do you already have one set of speakers and are just looking to add the second?

Scott

·
Registered
815 Posts
One receiver you may wish to check out is the Arcam AVR300. Excellent stereo reproduction with all the Zone 2 capabilities you need.

In addition, there are good deals on used 300s right now as many owners are upgrading to AVR350 for video capabilities.

·
Registered
58 Posts
here's an out of the box idea... use an AV receiver from NAD like the T754... power a pair of Totem Sttaf off the front two channels... Run the multizone out into the 754's "main in" amp section to run an additional pair of speakers and so on running off the internal amps... with the jumper configuration on NAD's amps it makes them very versatile... I am currently using NAD and Totem myself.

Rear of NAD T754:

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssteel01 /forum/post/0

I was very impressed with the NAD, but never had a chance to hear anything from Adcom.

Integrated amp would probably be the best way to go, but not sure how many have multi zone outputs. I'm assuming that the outdoor system is well protected from the elements...not looking for actual "outdoor" speakers, right?

Do you already have one set of speakers and are just looking to add the second?

Scott

Thanks for the reply. Right now I only use my main system for listening so I will need two sets of speakers along with a CD and amplification for this project. The outdoor speakers probably need to be "outdoor" speakers. They will be placed on the porch (open porch, old fashioned country house). They will be protected from rain, but summer storms may wet them as may winter's blowing snow. Any specific suggestions that I can check out?

Thanks again

eljr

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpu8088 /forum/post/0

try nad cdp c542 and integrated amp c325bee

Thanks I will check them out. how about speakers?

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation /forum/post/0

I would give a look to the Cambridge Audio 840A integrated and 840C CD player, a pair of Totem Acoustics Sttaf floorstanders and some Energy outdoor speakers. Lots of options at your price point--just what I would do with the money if I were designing such a system.

Thanks for the great reply!

I am unfamiliar with "Totem Acoustics Sttaf floorstanders" Do you have a link?

Is it the Tempest II you are recommending from Energy?

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Spy /forum/post/0

One receiver you may wish to check out is the Arcam AVR300. Excellent stereo reproduction with all the Zone 2 capabilities you need.

In addition, there are good deals on used 300s right now as many owners are upgrading to AVR350 for video capabilities.

Here's a twist. I was thumbing through my rewards catalog and found the Bose Acoustic Wave II system. I have plenty of points to get it for free. Can I use this for my indoor dinning room needs?

But if I did how on earth do I justify a "system" for the front porch?

Is Bose a waste and just forget it?

Just run the porch off my main system?

Frankly I like the idea of the Arcam.

Thanks for your reply, what do you think with this twist?

eljr

·
Registered
3,657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr /forum/post/0

Thanks for the great reply!

I am unfamiliar with "Totem Acoustics Sttaf floorstanders" Do you have a link?

Is it the Tempest II you are recommending from Energy?

Here is a link to a review. I've heard them as well and I liked them a lot.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volum...rs-5-2007.html

I don't know the name of the Energy speakers. The dealer where I bought some of my gear carried them. Boston Acoustics also make (or used to make, anyway) some outdoor speakers. I have BA speakers in my HT and love them, so I would also look there for outdoor speakers should I ever be in the market.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well it's 3 months later and I just brought home a Adcom GFA-535 and GFP-555.

How about suggestions as to speakers and CD player?

thanks

eljr

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper /forum/post/11421614

Since it's for non-critical listening I wouldn't spend a lot of money.

larry

Thanks Larry

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.