AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I just went to the store to pick up a nad NAD T751. However, something interesting happened. We hooked up the T751 and it's main outputs don't work!

So, the dealer sold me a T742 for 100$ more then the T751 (Which was on sale for 695$ Canadian)

Should I keep the T742 (I can of course return it)

Will the T742 power my 4 ohm speakers? TDoes the 742 even have a fan (I can't see a fan vent on the rear..)

Now, for about 500$ Canadian more, I could upgrade to the T752.. Would it really be worth it? Or I could wait for the T751 to return and I could get that for 100 bucks less then the T742. Or should I just stick with the T742, and hope it powers the 4 ohm speakers. (Haven't built them yet, so I can't test..)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Loading
Well, I just went to the store to pick up a nad NAD T751. However, something interesting happened. We hooked up the T751 and it's main outputs don't work! ...

uhhgg.

whenever i see a post about NAD now, i get a sinking, vertiginous feeling in the pit of my stomach.

do you have any idea of how common this is?

sort answer, yes. i believe all the NADs will drive 4 ohm speakers, i know the 752, 761 do it, and effortlessley.

here's the long story-

the first time i ever even heard about NAD was this past aug.

the salesman let me take home a 761 to power the magneplanars i was interested in trying out, because i was unsure about the onkyo i had handeling the 4 ohm load.

before the weekend started i was hugely interested in the maggies, but the when the weekend was over, all i could think about was the NAD.

i had the chance to hook it up to the Rockets i'd had at the time and couldn't believe the difference it made.

it was like having a different set of speakers.

i got my hands on another 761 about a month later, and yup, you guessed it, one of the front channels went out.

i kept it hooked up anyway for a while to compare the channels that were working with a HK 520 i had at the time and again, the NAD was just in a whole nother class.

i can't stress this enough. the HK520 (until the 525 came out recently) seems to be a darling on many, many forums.

While it is a good reciever, sound wise the NAD was just soooooooooooooo much better.

i probably should have heeded the quality problems i saw with that reciever, but the first chance i had, i ordered a 752.

i've had it for a little over a month now, and haven't experienced any problems (fingers crossed), but in that same time i've read dozens and dozens of posts/reviews of NAD recievers where the same problem you and i experienced have manifested. audioreview is full of stories like this.

it's really sad, because otherwise, there are so many qualities about the 752 i love, not the least of which is sound. i really hope they've gotten their $h*t together.

at this point i still think it has the best sound of any reciever under $1K, but with the quality control issues, theres just no way i could in good conscious recommend them to anyone.

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
NAD did have a couple bad runs of AV receivers with horrible reliability, the T751 being one of them. You can check out comments at Audioreview.com

I just picked up a used NAD C-370 2-channel integrated and it is a very nice piece for the money, and was favourably reviewed in Stereophile earlier this year.

- Andy

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Andy Lammer
NAD did have a couple bad runs of AV receivers with horrible reliability, the T751 being one of them. You can check out comments at Audioreview.com
I don't get this as I have a NAD T-760 which is pretty much idenitcal to the T-751 (more recent / rebadged T-760). I bought the T-751 for my dad. I would think that there would have been bad runs of T-760's as well.

The only difference that I could tell between the units was that the T-751 has more gold plated RCA connectors over the T-760. The specs are identical as are the chassis and I would assume the internals as well. Both units have been operating fine for a few years now. Knock on wood. I did send an email to NAD about QC and the differences between the T-760 and T-751 shortly after I purchased the T-760. The marketing guy who responded quickly really didn't know the products all that well as I had to correct him on many points.

I'm a big NAD fan but I can tell their construction quality / and bang for the buck isn't the same as it was years ago.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ckolchak
audioreview is full of stories like this.
dvdtalk what? ;)

audioreview.com is like an immature joke...some of the reviews are worthless - you have morons that are so product biased they will post a negative review to counter every positive that is put up (see the reviews of the Sony WMA40 sub on there, it's comical and sad at the same time...), then you have morons who listen to something in a store for 3 minutes and run home to type up a review so they can "feel the power" of having their opinion matter on audioreview... Kevin Smith hit the nail on the head in Jay and Silent Bob strike back, didn't he? LOL

Oh yeah, and the NAD receivers do sound pretty good, but the lack of features and crummy track record (which is real, yet overexaggerated online) just goes totally against them. I'd put my Denon 3803 up against the new NAD 762 anyday...The lack of anything other than 5.1 on the NAD's is what kills it.

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
I have no intent of slamming NAD here, as I really like NAD gear.

But at Audioreview.com you do not constantly read that "an amp channel blew on my Denon xxxx". Yet for the NAD T751, there are many negatives. How can one toss these user comments aside ? That is what consumer review boards are for. ( and yeah there is lots of whining too )

Out of the total production run, I am sure that the overall defect rate is very very very small. However, nothing travels faster like bad news. And no company wants to develop a rap for bad quality control, even if it is isolated to one product, and of a "neglible" nature i nterms of real units affected.

I am a believer on any product that if it works during the first week, then it should work for life. And lets not forget that product does have warranty to protect the consumer.

- Andy

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Hey L_Z,

welcome to avs...i'm sure you'll like it here.

plenty of astonishingly knowledgeable folks [i dont't necc claim to be one of 'em tho :) ].

as far as audioreview goes, yeah there are some people like you say, same as anywhere on the net, but if you read the reviews for the 751 specifically, and some of the 761, you find a lot of people that seem to know what they are talking about and don't seem to have an axe to grind.

they just sound disappointed.

i've read more than a couple that started out like "i've always loved/owned NAD gear but..."

very disconcerting.

as for the 3803 against the 752, well i just haven't had a chance to a/b those, so i can't really express an opinion there.

all i know is, the HK was said by many to be more musical than the Denons, with the Denon strength in HT.

well, the differences i heard with the NAD and HK (in both HT & music) were large and clear. i went back and forth several times to make sure i wasn't convincing myself i was hearing a difference because of some sub-concious bias.

glad to hear your enjoying the Denon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.