AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read good things about these brands for 2 ch stereo. They seemed to be mentioned for their musical qualities more than the common brands (Pioneer, Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, etc)

I assume B&K should be included except they are in their own price league compared to these. My ISF calibrator prefers Rotel over B&K for whatever that's worth :)

thx

bob

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have heard the Rotel's... they are very good (as good as the B&Ks) but I haven't heard a NAD HT receiver. The older NAD two-channel receivers were among the best.

I would also suggest Marantz and H/K receivers... perhaps a tad bit below the Rotel and B&Ks (and NAD?) but significantly less expensive (eg. the Rotel 1055 is $1200).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Dear Spongebob,

I did an audition on a Rotel this week, here on Mass. I am waiting to buy a receiver myself, but I've made my decision towards NAD.

I did not spend to much time on that audition, also because I was going to class and because I didn't have all my tests cd's with me. Rotel sounds good, much better than regular japanese brands. But comparing with NAD, I found Rotel more punchy, with less separation. The highs were good, but a little "high" for my taste.

NAD has a better soundstage, with clear drums. But on the very demanded classical music the NAD puts all the advantage: much better sound, more separation.

I did find Rotel a beuty; NAS are plain, grey and simple. But the price and sound are better.

lmauta

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lmauta,

Which Rotel and which NAD did you audition? Both receivers? How is the power on the NAD? Conservative? Reliability?

What country are these brands manufactured in?

thx

bob

·
Registered
794 Posts
"Rotel as good as the B&K's"

Put down the bottle, it's effecting yours ears if you truly compared them...

Seriously, it isn't fair to compare them .. they aren't in the same price league.

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
lmauta,

Did you compare them in the same store, with the same speakers? On the same day? Just curious.

·
Registered
165 Posts
IMO there is one serious flaw with all of these threads. Audio is all perception. If everyone perceived sound in the same way then there (most likely) would not be so many audio companies. Thus, as listeners in pursuit of good audio quality, we must simply look for equipment that pleases our perception.

To some people boomy bass, loaded with harmonics, and flexing the sheet metal of their trunk sounds awesome. Some people can't stand any metal dome tweeters. Others are extremely picky about sound quality.

Plus, after owning and listening to lots of audio equipment I can say officially that, IMO, $ has nothing to do with sound quality. Some of the best equipment I have heard costs

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
amen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.