AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently took the 752 home for the weekend and here's what I noticed...

The good:

This reciever has an adjestable crossover frequency (40,60,80,100,120).

The only receiver that has more crossover control are the harmankardons that have 3 sets of crossovers.

The best selling feature of the nad is its musicality. This thing sounds great. Normally I can't tell the difference with musical components >$1000 CAD (Canadian), but with the Nad it is a very noticable improvement over h/k, onkyo and the like.

Nad has introduced a cool idea...presets. A preset will store all receiver configuration...speakers, speaker distances, bass management, etc. Nad gives you 5 of them. So you can tweak the receiver for 2 channel stereo, DD and DTS tracks for ex. Nice feature!

The remote is backlit and has an insame amount of macro capability.

The bad:

So up to this point you'd think I'd be purchasing this unit...well probably not. I had 2 things that really bugged me...

The first....fan noise! This thing is loud. I think others have noticed it as well...but hears a measurement. I took my Sound Pressure Level meter and held it a foot away from the unit when the fan was going...57 dB...thats pretty loud. So if you are watching a movie with pounding action...then quick silence....you will definetly hear it. Even when not listening to anything that loud...it chimes in.

The second...Did anyone else notice this...the recevier does not decode DTS-ES 6.1 Matrix. Ok so what, not very many titles out there. Well, the standard feature accross receviers offering DTS-ES is the ability to create 6.1 from a 5.1 disc. The nad cannot do that. It can create 6.1 from 5.1 in Dolby Digital..so why not DTS. It does do DTS-ES 6.1 discrete which allows it to sport the label on the front. I find it weird that NAD left this hole in the receviers processing capabilities.

So questions for others who own or have heard the 752...

Was your fan noise that loud?....and

Did anyone else notice the lack of DTS-ES 6.1 Matrix decoding?

Peter

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
The Sound & Vision review noticed that the fan noise was very audible at the listening position.

From what you describe, it sounds like it would be very distracting when listening to music with quiet passages.

Tom B.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Just wondering. Was the unit in a cabinet? My limited experience is that the fan rarely comes on if the unit is on the top rack of an open shelf system. When it comes on, though, it is too loud for low passages of music or movies.

I think the new Nad T762 handles all the surround formats. It's coming out this week. It also has six amp channels, unlike the 752.

·
Registered
68 Posts
My T752 is placed in an open cabinet with 6-8 inches above it and the fan noise is hardly an issue with this placement. The only time the fan is audible from more than a couple of feet away is when it starts up, it starts quite loud but quickly drops to quiet level in less than a minute and never comes on again as loud as its initial startup. It is actually a smart fan that adjusts to a low level very quickly if given the proper space. I wouldn't count that against this machine because it does have superior music capabilities and so far I am impressed with its home theater abilities as well. As far as DTS-ES I prefer the discrete decoding because it allows me to get that true 6th channel from ES encoded discs with an external amp, also the 7.1 pre ins/pre outs can allow me to get pretty crazy when I'm ready for more speakers.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jeffbar,

The unit was in an open cabinet with plenty of clearence all-around.

It came on pretty often. If I was listenting to music on a cd, at least every second song it would come on (The music wasn't that loud but not that quiet either). And if it came on just at the end of the song, its kind of distracting. During the songs it wasn't that noticeable from the listenting position.

From the limited info I have found, the t762 doesn't look like it'll have the DTS matrix either. All you see is DTS-ES but it doesn't say which.

Shane,

The one I had came on loud every time, lasted a good 30 seconds then gradually tapered off.

I prefer discrete too but the discs have to be encoded as such. I'm just saying it is nice to have the option to extract a 6th channel even if the disc is not encoded that way. The nad does it for Dolby Digital, why can't it do it for DTS.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Has anyone tried this receiver as a pre-amp only? Would the fan come on when only using the processor side of this receiver? I thought that DTS-ES automatically produced a matrix surround rear channel from any DTS encoded disc but also had the ability to decode the discrete surround rear channel on the discs that were encoded with that discrete rear surround channel.

Did anyone try to get rear surrounds from a standard DTS disc?

·
Registered
68 Posts
As far as using the 752 for a preamp, an educated guess would say that that the unit would produce less heat from taking a load off the internal amps therefore alleviating heat and fan noise. I read on the HT forum of someone using the 752 as a preamp, and if I recall correctly they didn't notice a decrease in the fan noise. I am going to try a two or three channel amp paired with my T752 very soon when I find something that fits my budget, I need to feed my PSB silver i's more power. I myself am curious of the results/improvements of an external amp, but the T752 amps themselves are no slouch and have been a workhorse to say the least.

That is a good question whether the processor actually provides the matrixed rear channel when it only advertises DTS-ES discrete, I am guessing that it does not, but now I wish it did.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
I agree that it likely the fan would come on far less often if you aren't driving the amps. However, I don't know why anyone would buy the T752 to use as a preamp. The best aspect of the T752 is it's amp section. As far as multi-channel pre/pro's go, the T752 is light on features.

With it's amp inputs, it can easily be used as a 5-channel power amp with an external pre/pro. If I were only going to use one half of a T752, I would use the amp half.

Tom B.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Tom,

That's a great idea!!! You are absolutely correct, the 752's strong point is its amps. Maybe I'll change my gameplan, it would lead me down the road to separates going head first at least.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.