AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think a new thread regarding this latest firmware update is in order. I'm speaking from the experience of one who has purchased and returned (under warranty advice from manufacturer and dealer) two individual T775 receivers and one T175 preamp with firmware 1.13 pre-installed by the dealer.

My advice to everyone: hold off on all firmware upgrades until things settle down! If you've got firmware 1.05 and everything works okay, hold off and wait awhile. Maybe a long while.

I am completely committed to NAD owing to its treatment of orchestral music. There's nothing else like it (at least that I can afford). My current setup -- the one I've finally established as my best solution -- is as follows: Magnepan speakers all around, NAD t175, PS3 (for SACD, DVD, and Blu Ray), Quad CDP-2 for regular CD, a Bryston 4B (two front channels), Martin Logan Sub, and two NAD C272s (center, rear, and sides), and an old reliable monster Mitsubishi ws-73909. Oh and yes, I almost forgot -- I went out and purchased a NAD HTRM model computer-programmable remote to integrate the whole thing!

Problems I've encountered along the way have included the following:

1. The same massive popping switching noise mentioned extensively in other threads and other forums.

2. NAD's inability (at least at present) to allow any of its menu-configured inputs combining component video and HDMI audio to actually send both along the processing chain.

3. NAD's apparent inability to simultaneously pass same-channel HDMI audio and HDMI video. You can have the the former without the latter or the latter without the former, but never both at the same time.

4. EXTREMELY odd and disturbing behavior of Audyssey auto setup and calibration under firmware 1.13. Problems include (a) software claiming missing speakers even when test tones are clearly audible to next door neighbors, (b) treatment of severely volume-reduced speakers as if their behavior were perfectly normal (the sofware failed to compensate for failing channels in one of the 272s, also returned under warrantee), and (c) spurious, apparently arbitrary results in the final equalization callibration resulting in an impossibly overemphasized treble range.

So to make a long story short: My dealer has switched me back to a shiny new T175 running old MCU 1.05. The loud switching pops are now tiny switching clicks, and the Audyssey processor performs as it should, allowing my Maggies to generate a near-perfect orchestral soundstage in what used to be an extremely problematic room.

Don't upgrade your firmware just yet!

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
2. Interesting. HDMI with audio *and* video is so new I bet this combination never occurred to the designers. Not everyone has a display with HDMI even if you want to take advantage of the audio. Could just go direct for video, but I suppose that defeats the purpose of switching if that's what you want.

3. Can you explain this one? The audio has to go with the video.

4. I know that a lot of people have seen strange things with Audyssey, but using more mike positions and sometimes just rerunning the calibration can help. I think it was Kal who spotted that the closer the speaker distances are to actual distances (except for the sub), the more likely it is that you got a good cal. (Pun accidental!)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin C Brown /forum/post/12912548

2. Interesting. HDMI with audio *and* video is so new I bet this combination never occurred to the designers. Not everyone has a display with HDMI even if you want to take advantage of the audio. Could just go direct for video, but I suppose that defeats the purpose of switching if that's what you want.

3. Can you explain this one? The audio has to go with the video.

4. I know that a lot of people have seen strange things with Audyssey, but using more mike positions and sometimes just rerunning the calibration can help. I think it was Kal who spotted that the closer the speaker distances are to actual distances (except for the sub), the more likely it is that you got a good cal. (Pun accidental!)

Regarding HDMI audio and video: I didn't make myself clear. The kind folks at NAD explained I couldn't send a hi-def component signal from my PS3 to the TV while at the same time listening to the PS3's HDMI audio output. (The menu allows it; the receiver, they said, actually doesn't.) So I purchased two alternate component to HDMI converters so the HDMI video could be sent to the TV. Result? The NAD sends only the video; audio gets lost somewhere! Pull the TV plug and I get audio (but of course no video).

Regarding the Audyssey and the 175's normal behavior: there's nothing like it! My listening room is asymmetrical, requiring a speaker layout with some in corners, others near huge non-closing openings to other rooms. Without equalization no speaker sounds anything like any other speaker. With the 175's Audyssey equalization my Maggies finally generate the same realistic illusion of instruments with genuine air around them one hears in a good audio showroom.

I may have failed to mention exactly WHY I wanted HDMI sound: it was because the PS3 can output discrete multichannel SACD this way. I was hooked on the idea of seeing the SACD's menu (all those numbered tracks up on the big screen!) and hearing an Audyssey-equalized 4 channel mix at one and the same time. Maybe some day...

·
Registered
106 Posts
I've got 1.03 and it has some HDCP things happen occasionally with my comcast and it does the popping sounds occasionally..

Should i update you think or wait for a new firmware?

if so.. where do i get firmwares? I can't find them on NAD's site anyway.

·
Registered
7,775 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by santler /forum/post/12905162

I think a new thread regarding this latest firmware update is in order

a new thread, for what? I'm just noticing this thread today for the first time.........would have been helpful if you had posted it in the "T175 Surround Processor" thread.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have the T775 and updated to 1.12. 1080P problem solved, no other problems that I've run across. No reason to update any further.

1. Never had this issue, still don't.

4. Worked fine once I had the microphone set up well.

·
Registered
7,775 Posts
I have a T175. I now have v1.13 loaded for maybe three weeks now, works very well. Although I experience some low-level "popping" (or "transients") during switching of listening modes and changing of cable-channels. But mostly here crisp clicking noise. V1.14 is due out next week "officially" (last I heard).

·
Registered
483 Posts
Where do you find these firmware downloads? I've contacted NAD service, but no reply. 1.16 is the latest, I think, and supposedly fixes most issues. I have pops, and some Audyssey speaker distance issues. My unit came shipped with 1.10.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts