AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was thinking about a T752 (list $900 - can get around $750) but a little reluctant because of lots of complaints regarding fan noise. Also would like to get a little cheaper unit as eventual goal is separates etc.

Then I saw NAD has a cheaper model T742. This seems to be a pretty basic unit - just DPLII, DTS and DD - no other surround formats. Also no component video switching. Upside - pretty darn cheap - $650 LIST. Just spent lots $ on front projector so this would help finish system with less pain ...

Was wondering if anyone has gotten a chance to see or hear this model. My guess it that it would sound similar to other NAD's .... On the other hand, maybe this guy lacks the evil fan .......

Sent email to NAD but of course they didn't reply .......

cd

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just wanted anyone interested to know that NAD product manager replied to my email request. 3 interesting findings...

1. The T742 does NOT have any fan. It puts out 50 WPC. This unit is very basic (DD, DTS and DPLII only) but at $650 LIST might be a good choice as a first or basic receiver.

(yes I know competition is stiff with Outlaw, Denon, HK, Onkyo and Sony ES models all in that price range .......)

2. They have not been answering their emails for a good reason - unfortunately their webmaster passed away and they're looking for another.

3. They are aware of the complaints with the fan in the T752. They say that they were surprised by this a they had not heard this in the beta test units AT ALL. The fan control circuit was apparently faulty in some early production units and this has been fixed.

Personally, I was satisifed with this very informative email reply. I requested permission to post the entire reply .... but I don't feel right posting a personal email without permission....

cd

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
i've heard the fan in my 752 come on about...oh...8 times in the last 20-30 hours of use.

of course its more noticeable if the soundtrack is at a quiet passage, and is a bit of a bother.

but then again, so is the home heating system when it kicks on.

while i would of course prefer not to hear it, it's just not that big of a deal to me.

if it were coming on every 10 minutes that would be one thing, but it ususally seems to pop on once during a 2 hour movie and after about a minute and a 1/2 it's silent again.

anyways, sounds like the 742 might be the way to go with some additional amps in the not too distant future.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I'm bumping up this thread to see if anyone has heard the T742. We have a small plasma HT setup in the bedroom (B&W VM1 left and right, to be augmented by a B&W sub), which currently is powered by a low-end Sony receiver. Unfortunately, I'm a bit underwhelemed by the low-end Sony receiver. The alternative to the NAD would be to get a Sony ES receiver, inasmuch as we have a 777ES receiver in the main listening room, and I've been very happy with its performance -- very "warm" output.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.