AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Depends on what you are looking for. If your interest is primarily sound quality and you don't need HDMI 1.4, then I say the NAD 747. It is the heaviest of the bunch, only one with a Toroidal transformer, and I would dare say the most power despite NAD's conservative rating. NAD is well respected with good sounding equipment with design philosophies putting music first.

·
Registered
68 Posts
How would a nad t747 compare to a HK 3490 in terms of sound quality?

I need something to power a pair of Vienna Acoustics Grand Bach which are 4 ohm speakers in a room that is 18*18*9.

Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just made the following post over at Club Polk : (VSX32 and the 1120 are twins if you didn't already know)

Well I made it back to BB/Magnolia through a heavy snowstorm this evening and was able to give a good listen to a Pioneer VSX-32 , a Denon 2311(iirc) and a Marantz 6005.

Used the same speakers , same cd/dvd's and the recievers were set to source direct or equivalent.

I did not dig into the settings of these at all , so it is possible that something was set in some menu somewhere that effected the audition.

Sorry , I have not read the audiophiles glossary handbook , so I'm shooting from the hip.

I did not care for the sound on the Denon at all. Too muted , not spacious , soundstage was crappy really. Definitely not bright. Listening to Bob Seger's "Turn the page..." , the sax or whatever horn that is so dominate normally , was just there somewhere , in the speakers. Like everything else , it just was not allowed to escape the speakers.

The Marantz was much better , much more open , brighter , there was a definite soundstage this time. I'd be happy listening to this for a long time ... provided I never heard the Pioneer.

The Pioneer , might be a bit bright for some folks , but I think my slight case of tinnitus leads me to like the way this sounds. Soundstage was the best of the bunch , Bob Segers voice was nailed to center stage , the horn in "Turn the page..." just reached out and grabbed you by the boys. Just try listening to "You'll accompany me" without singing along , you can't do it when it is sounding this good.

All in all , had a good time jamming out at Magnolia , sales guy showed me how to set up the selector and left me the hell alone , until his manager showed up during the loudest part of my audition. Even then , he just chuckled and asked if I had any questions and left again.

So again , for the fellow noobs , before you become a spec sheet expert while looking at all the different AVRs available to you , get your arse out there and give them a LISTEN !

For the pro's , why Bob Seger ? (one of his greatest hits CD's)

It's all I had in the truck ...

but fortunately I am VERY familiar with the disc and how it can sound. Good piano tracks , he has a very sharp voice which , I have found , can find a weakness in a speaker real fast. Whatever speakers I used there , they were pretty good but could not handle Bob's voice nowhere near as well as my Polk10B's.

:end post

I will buy the Pioneer 1120 or VSX32 , which is the twin of the 1120 , just no Elite badges.

I also thought about the NAD T747 , at $700 right now , it's hard to pass up , but , except for the amplifier portion , the Pioneer does everything else so damn well compared to everything else I can find in that catagory (according to MUCHO research I have done over the past two weeks ) I figure I can add an amp later if I want since it has pre-outs.

Another thing that really sells me on the Pioneer are all the owner reviews. Pioneer's reviews contain a lot of WOW!'s compared to the others.

Now I know why .....

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Hi-

I really have not heard any of these units but I do have a NAD pre/pro and it sounds excellent.

When I was first upgrading for the first time from an internet speaker and taking a step up so to speak, I had the VAs in my house for an audition.

I was trying to run them on a Yamaha 2400 AVR so that might give you a timeline of how long ago this was but the Yamaha kept shutting down with the VAs and that was with the L/R monitors and the center only.

I think you should be careful with what AVR you pick and I think the VAs are hungry with their load. Also, I don't think I ever got the best out of them when the AVR wasn't shutting down and they sounded a little muddy so to speak. This AVR was not a candidate for these speakers.

I think the suggestion about the NAD with the toroidal transformer is a good one and you should really consider this with these speakers.

Just sharing some first hand experience with the VA line. Read Paraneer's reply again. I agree.

Good Luck

·
Registered
105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabbu1 /forum/post/19812885

How would a nad t747 compare to a HK 3490 in terms of sound quality?

I need something to power a pair of Vienna Acoustics Grand Bach which are 4 ohm speakers in a room that is 18*18*9.

Thanks

For a stereo setup I don't think you could go wrong with the 3490. I have the 3480 (older model without the digital inputs) driving my 6 ohm speakers, in a 16 x 28 room . Hk like Nad is known for having robust amplifiers that can drive 4 ohm speakers. Check out Jr.com for a price.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks a lot guys.

HK 3490 it is. At $300 it seems like a steal.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I still wonder as to how it can be *so* cheap. (it gets gushing reviews on amazon no doubt)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts