AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an NAD T755. Sometimes while watching HD channels from my cable box or playing my Xbox 360, both of which output 1080i and are connected to the receiver's component inputs, the screen will go blank for 2-5 seconds and then the video will return. It happens a lot with the cable box, and pretty infrequently with the 360. As far as the cable box goes, it seems to be triggered usually by a transition to an SD signal, like when you go from an HD show to a SD commercial or vice-versa. Sometimes it seems to happen for no reason at all. On the rare instances when it occurs with the 360, there doesn't seem to be any discernable reason for it. It doesn't seem to be a problem when watching SD channels, and the 480p output from my DVD player seems to be fine. After a little research, I found out that my TV will accept an HDMI video input through its DVI connection (it's an older CRT rear projection HDTV), so I just ran HDMI straight from the cable box to the TV...problem solved there.

So...

-Anybody have the same problem and know of a way to correct it (firmware update, warranty repair, etc.)?

It's really not a huge deal, but frankly I'm a little disappointed that such an impressive receiver is brought down by this kind of problem. I had looked at the Onkyo 805/875 and the Yamaha 1800 and 3800, but ultimately settled on the NAD for its great sound and simplicity. It sounds terrific and is super friendly to setup and use. I like this thing a lot and would hate to return it. I had an Onkyo for the last six years and I'm not too eager to go back down that road. Any comments from T7x5 receivers would be greatly appreciated. I did breeze through the 785/775 thread and didn't see anything related to this problem, although i admit I didn't read all 50+ pages! Thanks.

Jason

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
"After a little research, I found out that my TV will accept an HDMI video input through its DVI connection (it's an older CRT rear projection HDTV), so I just ran HDMI straight from the cable box to the TV...problem solved there"

Are you asking about a component video problem, or an HDMI problem? Your thread titles mentions component video, then you mention HDMI. You should probably explain what is hooked up with what connections.

If you meant to say HDMI problems, it's not uncommon for people to experience some issues with HDMI similar to what you are seeing. Sounds like some cable boxes drop the HDMI signal at times, such as when switching channels. Perhaps that problem improves or goes away with no repeater involved (An AVR acts as an HDMI repeater.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I do mean the component inputs. I wasn't using HDMI at all until I started having this problem with component video. When I initially hooked up the receiver, I had the cable box, 360, and DVD player all connected to the receiver with component video, and the component out running to the TV. I noticed the problem while wathcing HD channels with the cable box, so I connected it straight to the TV with component video. Problem went away. Since then, basically just to see if it would work, I hooked the HDMI output of the cable box to the DVI connection on the TV with an adapter. Works great!

Sorry if I caused any confusion by mentioning my HDMI work-around, since it doesn't actually relate to the problem. The bottom line is that something inside the receiver causes 1080i feeds to occasionally blank out, and I'm trying to figure out why. Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's the text of the message I sent via NAD's web support:

I recently purchased a T755 and have had problems with component video switching in the receiver. Specifically, sometimes while viewing material in 1080i from either my HD cable box or Xbox 360, the screen will occasionally go black for 2 to 5 seconds and then the video will come back. It occurs much more often with the cable box than the 360, and seems to be limited to content in 1080i, as I have not seen this happen with standard definition programming from the cable box or my progressive scan DVD player which is also connected to the receivers' component video inputs. Can this problem be corrected with a firmware update, or is it a hardware defect that needs to be repaired under warranty. Thanks for your help.

And NAD's reply:

Thank you for your recent request via the NAD Electronics web-site.

The 755 does not upcovert component video. There is no repair/upgrade that can be done to change this.

Best regards,

NAD Electronics

Don't think they understood, sent another message trying to clarify...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts