AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends and happy new year to all of you!

I've just sold my T763 and wondered if the T765 is a right choice these days. The 763 sound and lack of unuseful features offered in some other brands receivers made it a great one for me. However, I had a good opportunity to sell it and I did so. It looked a natural thing for me to go with the newer line of NAD and I consider going for the T765. I wanted to know:

1. It doesn't support the new formats which are supported by all new receivers by Denon/Onkyo/HK and such but is said to have upgradability to these. Do you know about available upgrades? Is the support of the new formats so important? I'm using a 5.1 speakers setup and don't have any plans upgrading it...

2. Besides the new formats which are missing, does this receiver lack any other important feature offered by other ones in its price range? I know NAD doesn't release new models each year like other brands and want to make sure nothing important is missing.

Thanks a lot.

Ariel

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm looking for an AVR too and I am too a fan of NAD. Looking at their product offering, except from their top of the line AVRs the more affordable ones don't decode the new HD codecs (DTS-HD or DD True HD). It seems to be the case for the T765 looking at specs on NAD's site.

So in that case I'd turn to the source player to decode the new HD formats to MPCM. The problem is however that I think the T765 doesn't accept MPCM over HDMI, and I think HD audio cannot be passed over S/PDIF. There are other threads on that very subject, I suggest you look around. As for whether if the T765 supports MPCM over HDMI, there must a thread somewhere with that answer too.

The T765 has got Audyssey so that's good. And as an owner of NAD gear I know they have good clean power. It all comes down to if you have a blu-ray source and want to take advantage of HD audio or not.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
1. I'm using a 5.1 speakers setup and don't have any plans upgrading it to 7.1. Is there any difference in the new DTS/Dolby formats compared to regular Dolby Digital/DTS using a 5.1 setup?

2. Are there any expert reviews on the T765?

3. The T765 is upgradeable to new formats. Are any upgrades already available? How much do they cost?

4. I understood there is a new T765 HD version. What are the differences between this version and the regular T765? Is the only difference the support for "HD" formats?

Thanks.

Ariel

·
Registered
634 Posts
In February you will be able to purchase the new soundcards and video cards from NAD and have them installed into the T765.

The new soundcards will have all the new decoding for Dolby THD and DTS MA.

The other feature the 765 lacks is upconverting to HDMI, and a new video card will be needed.

You can probably get a T765 at a killer deal right now. I know my store has them on sale for about $600 off (canadian). Lenbrook has offered a number of deals to get some of these moving. That $600 should cover the majority of the upgrades needed. Once the upgrades are completed you would basically have a T775 with a little less power, but all the decoding ability.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Having tried and loved harman/kardon, having tried and been disappointed by Emotiva separates, still owning and having Yamaha and Denon, my NAD T754 is still my favorite by far. You will have to whip me and stone me to get me to go back to anything else, no matter what the printed specifications say, no matter what the new sound format. If you liked your T763, I would never mess with it! Try Spearit Sound for good deals! The availabilty of refurbished models varies from time to time.

http://www.spearitsound.com/nad/nadspec.htm

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you definitely want the new HD formats I think you need to look at the next model up (the T775) and a player which will process the HD audio formats and output them as MPCM over HDMI.

The T765 doesn't accept audio over HDMI I believe.

The difference between the older formats and the newer HD formats is that the older formats use lossy compression while the HD formats use lossless compression (or uncompressed PCM). But be aware that DTS and Dolby compression schemes are pretty good so the differences are not huge.

But there is a very good, very cost effective alternative - get one of the new Samsung Blu-ray players. These very cleverly de-compress all the new lossless HD formats and re-compress them using very high bitrate DTS and transmit them over sp-dif to a legacy receiver like the T763 (or the T765). DTS from a DVD was limited to about 640kb/s, but the Samsung maximises the potential of DTS over sp-dif and runs at about 1.5Mb/s from a Blu-ray. This will sound very close to, possibly indistinguishable from, the lossless formats.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a T765, and can confirm that it doesn't do audio over HDMI. Am looking into the upgrades to sort out what I need to get to do this.

The alternative is to use the analog audio inputs, although I haven't had luck yet getting this to sound better than the uncompressed soundtrack (I think the processing in the NAD is so good compared to that in the disc player that it neutralizes the difference between DD and TrueHD. Either that or I have poor demo material.)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I purchased a Nad T765 in October 2009. I experienced a lot of issues with this unit. The first one had a bad bearing in the chassis fan, the second had sound/distortion coming from the rear speakers when in stereo mode and the third one had loud popping noises while playing anything through optical. After trying out three of these units, the store that i purchased it from decided to get rid of them. I ended up getting a pioneer elite sc-27, not a bad unit at all. I'm not bashing Nad, i'm just sharing my experience.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.