AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you need an HDMI connection to get BlueRay audio? My NAD T773 AVR has 7.1 analog inputs for SACD hookup but no HDMI connection. I've read somewhere that you can use the analog hookup but I just want to be sure. Also if I can use the analog hookup does it do the same job as a HDMI or is it sub par to an HDMI.

My reason for asking was that if you need an HDMI for BlueRay I was going to upgrade. I'd rather not because first off, I'd hate to have to spend the money, & I love the NAD sound & performance of the T773. Thanks,

·
Registered
5,654 Posts
Wait for the upcoming Panasonic or Sony BD players that can decode everything internally and output via 7.1 channel analog. That will be your best bet. And I agree, NAD is superior. So, unless you are upgrading to a newer NAD, you are downgrading if you go to any other products from Denon, Onkyo, etc.

·
Registered
10,446 Posts
To each to it's own, but HDMI certainly the better way to go. If you use analog connections, you might run into the well known LFE problem that plagues many brand's MCH analog inputs.

More are here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&post8855640

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I still hang on to my old NAD T761 for a bit longer, until a suitable NAD or ARCAM AVR comes up.

The new Panny BD50 only has 5.1 analogue out so the new Sony S550 with 7.1 would be more suitable if the AVR has 7.1 in.

·
Registered
575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearsall001 /forum/post/14196298

Do you need an HDMI connection to get BlueRay audio? My NAD T773 AVR has 7.1 analog inputs for SACD hookup but no HDMI connection. I've read somewhere that you can use the analog hookup but I just want to be sure. Also if I can use the analog hookup does it do the same job as a HDMI or is it sub par to an HDMI.

My reason for asking was that if you need an HDMI for BlueRay I was going to upgrade. I'd rather not because first off, I'd hate to have to spend the money, & I love the NAD sound & performance of the T773. Thanks,

No, you don't "NEED" HDMI to get an audio connection from a blu-ray player. If your not looking to upgrading any time soon just use what you have and save that coin for the gas tank. You can find some players out there with 7.1 analog outputs or if you like you can use the optical (digital) connection and then use the dsp modes on the NAD for the CORE DD-EX and DTS-ES features to turn on your back surrounds... You will be fine...

Steve..

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
As others have said, you already have an excellent receiver that has analog inputs. So your best bet is to get a player that BOTH internally decodes all of the HD audio codecs AND has 7.1 analog outs. At this point it looks like the Sony S550 will be your best bet when it comes out in the fall.

Or if you only have a 5.1 setup and don't intend to go to 7.1 anytime soon, there are a few options that internally decode and have 5.1 analog outs. Use the chart here to help you sort through things. You want something that either has 'decode' or 'complete' across the board and has either 5.1 or 7.1 analog outs, depending on your current and foreseeable setup.

The other question to ask is about your video connection. Does your TV/projector have HDMI? If not, you'll still be able to hook a BD player up via component, but it won't allow you to upconvert standard DVDs. This may or may not be a concern for you.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugnax555 /forum/post/14202081

As others have said, you already have an excellent receiver that has analog inputs. So your best bet is to get a player that BOTH internally decodes all of the HD audio codecs AND has 7.1 analog outs. At this point it looks like the Sony S550 will be your best bet when it comes out in the fall.

Or if you only have a 5.1 setup and don't intend to go to 7.1 anytime soon, there are a few options that internally decode and have 5.1 analog outs. Use the chart here to help you sort through things. You want something that either has 'decode' or 'complete' across the board and has either 5.1 or 7.1 analog outs, depending on your current and foreseeable setup.

The other question to ask is about your video connection. Does your TV/projector have HDMI? If not, you'll still be able to hook a BD player up via component, but it won't allow you to upconvert standard DVDs. This may or may not be a concern for you.

Great info, especially the chart. Yeah, my tv (Sony 50"LCD) is going on 5yrs old & doesn't have HDMI. The picture is still gorgeous so I'm not planning on upgradeing just yet. The componet hookup will do just fine for now. Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts