AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering purchasing the NAD T773 receiver but I noticed that it only has DPL2 and not DPL2x. Is there a big difference in sound between the two ( I still only have dolby pro logic ). Is it that much of an issue that I shouldn't buy this unit because of this and perhaps spend my money on a receiver like the YAMAHA RXV 2400 which does have the DPL2x?

My speakers are Paradigm Reference Studio v.2's - 100's,cc,adp,40's servo 15.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I've been told that they are working on a chip upgrade for PLIIx, since there is a problem with downloading it for some reason. I don't know any more than this except that I'm anxiously awaiting it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The 773 is a really nice receiver. If you believe that a seventeenth (or so)surround processing mode may enrich your life, then you may be disappointed with the somewhat modest feature set of NAD gear, though.

I currently have the T163 (with a pre-pro section from a similar design as the 773) and I wouldn't trade it for anything less than twice it's price. If you've heard it, and you like it, I wouldn't let the lack of DPL2X stop you. If you haven't yet heard it, I'd keep it on your short list until you've had a chance to audition it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
fsckd,

Sorry for the threadjack, but...

Do you mind if I ask where you got your T163 and how much you paid?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I heard the 773 and that was one baaaad mofo.

Sorry I can't help you out technically. Some people are REALLY into those modes, if you are one of those then I would probably check out the yams or the like. If you're not, I can't imagine someone not being happy with that monster. It sounded awesome.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I heard that the 773 and the 763 were going to have an upgrade to DPL2x. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Dan: Got my T163 at Stereo Discount Center in Providence, RI (no web or mail order). The transaction included both a trade-in and a store credit, but places that actually have the unit in stock are charging between $1349-1499 right now, as it's hard to get a hold of. In six months, I imagine it'll be closer to $1200.

Lee: NAD has told me they have every intention of keeping the T163 (and by extension I assume the 773) up to date, taking advantage of the RS232 port to upgrade processing modes. No guarantee this will happen, though. Ask someone with a DirecTivo about their vestigal USB ports if you want a good example. I'd buy a receiver for the features it has at that time, not based on promised upgrades.

·
Registered
994 Posts
If you have a 5.1 system and aren't planning on going to 7.1, this is a non-issue. DPL2 allows your system to play non 5.1 material in a 5.1 mode. I believe DPL2x adds the ability to play in a 7.1 mode.

·
Registered
6,141 Posts
I don't have an opinion on PLIIx, but NAD has EARS, which, although its a 5.1 mode (at least on my 762), its really a great surround mode.

No phony reverb, and in my rig, its seems to tweak the EQ somewhat such that the bass takes on a bit more weight and body than PLII or NEO:6.

NAD implies that EARS is optimized for acoustic music, but I found through experimentation that it can do nice things with ANY music. The newest Dream Theater CD has all kinds of sounds mixed in that take on new life with EARS.

BGL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.