Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:)

I picked up my T773 last week at my local NAD dealer after lusting for it for about one month.

I have read some posts about its specs and some people comenting what they suppose will the unit´s performence is and whether it would should glitches reported in prior receivers from NAD.

Well, this is a review in the flesh.

The system context is :

Toshiba 4106 dvd

Dish 4000 receiver

Panasonic 32" TV

Paradigm studio 20 front spkr.

Paradigm studio center chnl.

Paradigm Titan rears

Paradigm pw220 subwoofer

The system is setup in a 12 by 15 room with 8ft ceiling with open doorways on each side of the TV set.

This is NAD´s top receiver 7.1, HD compatible through component inputs, 5 digital inputs, 2 digital outputs, 2 zones with independent selector.

Typical of NAD the receiver is powerfull without sounding harsh. 110 w/ch all 7 channels driven and its stable down to 2 ohms.

DSP's are plentifull enough without getting into the useless trick some other receivers sport. Dolbby pro-logic, pro-logic II cinema and music, DD 5.1, DD-es 7.1, DTS 5.1, DTS-ex 7.1, DTS Neo-6 cinema and music, NAD EARS, Stereo enhanced 1, stereo enhanced 2, Matrix-7 ( something similar to Logic 7). That is 13 dsp modes plus straight stereo.

The T773 comes complete with 2 remotes. NAD´s HTR-2 a programable universal illuminated remote good for 8 devices and manyyyyyyyyy macro fuctions. The second remote controls the full functions of the second zone. Source selct., audio, etc.

Now for the tricks.

Video. The comparison of straight input to the monitor vs. receiver video switcher renders a slightly brighter image through the receiver with no perceivable loss of detail. Granted I have no HD monitor or sources. However I have seen the video quality in the dealer´s 90" screen display with HD video and the quality was stunning.

Unit operation. The T773 is typical NAD in its operation. Easy to setup with an intuitive OSD. Video, analog audio, digital inputs are freely assignable and even combination of video and audio source during playback.

Tuner is fairly sesitive with good station separation and 30 preset memories. Sound in FM is of high quality considering the compressed transmissions made by stations.

Audio quality. Music is well presented by the T773. In general the sound is somewhat similar to vac. tubes amplification with detail but no strident treble, mids are clear and natural. With the T773 I upgraded my center channel because with my prior vioves sounded shilling, unnatural like if the sound were comming from inside a can. Once I upgraded the receiver the center channel sound improved so dramatically its increadible. The sound is natural, extended, and open. The new center is better than my prior, but the poor sound quality of the old unit is closer than it was apparent befor the upgrade of the receiver.

With the T773 the intergration of the 5.1 speaker system is unbelievable. Sound efects move around the sound field seamlessly and not jumping from one speaker to another as it seemed with my old receiver. Let me state that my "old" receiver was less than one year old, had more DSP modes ( it had circle surround wich I miss because it sounds better than PL2 or DTS NEO on 2 channel analog movies), amn was also rated at 110w/ch. But, although it sounded powerfull as well its sound was not as clean and relaxed sounding. The sound was forcefull alright, but sounded shilling and kind of strained in general, not strained in the sense that it was operated beyond it power limits but it sounded like it was screaming and at the same time dialogs were not as natural and music in stereo sounded dead and uninvolving.

In general the sound quality is involving and natural with well developed DSP effects.

Glitches. Let me start on this acknowledging that I was aprehensive having read about the glitches in prior NAD receivers. I have a friend that has a T752 that produce no sound the first seconds of DD audio stream, and in ocassion has changed volume up and down bu itself. The T773 has shown no glitches whatsoever so far. Sound processing works flawlessly and sound is produces quickly after selecting the source or DSP.

So there it is, so far the T773 has earned high marks for providing powerfull, pleasing sound quality, video quality, all features work as advertised, and with no glitches.

I had also read some posts commenting on the built quality. having inspescted the unit my self it appears to be as good as other smilarly priced units or better. Two toroidal transformers, 52 lb., 24/192 wolfson dacs, discrete output, 5-way binding posts in all channels, and 5 noisless fans in the units bottom are some of the highlights.

Highly recomended as worth its price.

yoyoc

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The T773 has anm RS232 port in the back that enables it to be programed and setup from a pc via a custom program you get at NAD´s website and which also enables the unit to be software upgraded or trouble shoted.

yoyoc

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.