AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It took a while but I have narrowed my selection down to these two receivers. The Nad T773 and the Marantz 8001. The Marantz dealer would not allow me to bring my speaker in to listen to them on that receiver and there are no refunds. So I was hoping I could get some help from the people here.

I what a better sounding receiver for music and for surround sound (movies). I've decided that in the future I'm going to get a DVDO when they have HDMI solid and when (hoping) they come down in price.

The speakers I have now are B&W 602's. Eventually they will be my rear speaker and I'll get 604's for the front. I might also look at the 700 series but that's a couple years away.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have had a NAD T752 (clearly not as good a receiver as the T773) but currently have a Marantz 7001, and what I can say is that it depends on the type of sound that you're looking for. The NAD had a softer, more laid back sound, whereas the Marantz has much more of a dynamic punch to it, without being bright at all.

Personally, I'm a fan of dynamics, particularly in a home theater environment, but also in a music-listening environment. As such, I prefer the sound of the Marantz to the NAD, and by a comfortable margin. The NAD is just too "polite" for my liking in a home theater environment. To be fair though, my NAD was broken so often I'm not sure if what I was hearing was ever what it was supposed to sound like. Perhaps the lack of a "surround" feeling from it was related to faulty rear channels on the amp.

...Which brings me to another consideration. Marantz has a much better reliability record with their A/V receivers than does NAD. It's too early to give an indication of my 7001's reliability since it's only a month old, but I can tell you that the NAD was in for service at least once per year for some problem with one or more channels just not working until I gave up on it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm looking from a clean warm sound for music. I listened to a MacIntosh recently and boy did that have a warm sweet sound. I know that the two brand I'm comparing are not MacIntosh but I'd like to get as close to that for $1500 to $2000. So far IMO Nad or Marantz.

As far as home theater, I don't have anything to compare it to. I'm running two fronts, a centre and a sub. I'd like to get the both of best worlds.

I know i want a lot.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
I would of asked the dealer, you would rather me take it home and then bring it back if I don't like it?

The dealer seems not to swift on this one... I just can't imagine telling somebody "no" on such a request. Takes all kinds I suppose.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.