AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I was wondering if there are any NAD T773 owners who could share some info on that receiver. I am thinking about purchasing one. I currently have a pioneer elite vsx54, running some psb speakers :) . Do you think the T773 is worth it? What else should I consider?

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehop
Hi, I was wondering if there are any NAD T773 owners who could share some info on that receiver. I am thinking about purchasing one. I currently have a pioneer elite vsx54, running some psb speakers :) . Do you think the T773 is worth it? What else should I consider?
Elite has more features, the T773 more power. I would suggest you just get a decent 3 channel amp for the fronts/center and use the 54 as the pre/pro and powering the rears. Other than that I love my T773. Does an excellent job powering my Paradigm Studio's

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
not familiar with the vsx54 but I agree with the previous poster. The NAD has major balls and has no issues powering my system. But almost ZERO features. No EQ, no upconverting over component. Go listen to one if you can, better yet, try one at home. I'm waiting for a rx-v4600 to see if I keep my nad, or go with the yammie.

But, it does have a really good remote, and is very easy to use.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help! How does the t773 sound? I hear they are very musical. I do like the Pioneer elite but I think the t773 will run my 4ohm speakers a little better?

What 3 channel amp can you recommend?

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
imho,

i'd get the nad if your listening habits were something like 70% music, 30% movies

if you were 70% movie, 30% music, perhaps the Pioneer with the features would be better.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin. W
Elite has more features, the T773 more power. I would suggest you just get a decent 3 channel amp for the fronts/center and use the 54 as the pre/pro and powering the rears. Other than that I love my T773. Does an excellent job powering my Paradigm Studio's

Kevin what Studio mains do you have? I have the Studio 100s and CC570 and find that I have to turn my volume to -12 to reach my 75db calibration, with the L/R speaker level set at 0 and the center also at 0, in order to reach 85 db spl I have to go to almost 0 on the main knob is this the case with you? and what mains do you have?

otherwise I love the T773, very dynamic.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have the NAD T773, and I too find it superb for HT and music. I too have to raise the volume level to -10 to 0 for high output, but I don't think this is an issue. I believe it's just the way NAD calibrates their volume control.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
I too have to turn it up around -16 for most things. 11x17 room

Now, to be honest, and I'm not trying to scare you, but other then the power this thing has, it's simplicity, and awesome remote, this amp is somewhat disappointing to me.

I mean I read everything I could on this thing. every forum, review and so on. Just about everyone stated how good this amp sounded for music. The second I got it connected, I was disappointed. Flat/thin, little bass, all mid range, no clean highs. I was like wtf? Is there something wrong with this? I tried every setting I could try, and eventually I gave up, grabbed an old EQ and connected it to my cd player/nad and it made a world of difference. Keep in mind I was comparing it to a Carver TFM-15/CT-17 pre/pro that was powering these speakers before hand and even without an eq on the Carver setup, they BLEW AWAY the NAD. Not so much in terms of power, but sound.

Was it the room? Nope, sorry, already have a good stereo in this room using the same speakers and it was fine. Actually, we moved into a brand new room with excellent accoustics just the last few weeks, and I still think the sound is flat/thin in this room. Bottom line, the NAD NEEDS an EQ.

So, I'm in the process of trying something else out. Have a 4600 on the way. I got a feeling The eq on the yammie might help out a bit, I already hate the yammie remote just by looking at pics, I'll probably love it's features for movies, lip synch, and the NAd never upconverted ANYTHING for it's onscreen display. BUT, I am sure I'll miss the power of the NAD. All speculation until I get the 4600 in a few weeks.

my 2 cents. Shame, because I really wanted to like the NAD more. It's well built, I like it's look.....yes, I really do. But if It doesn't sound the way I want it to....it's gone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey newfmp3, thanks for your comments. What speakers are you using? Can you eloborate a bit more on the sound? No clarity on the highs.. are you using it for home theater? How is dialogue? I have the psb stratus silver i's for fronts and I heard they are a great combination.

Thanks again for your input.

mike

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz1
Kevin what Studio mains do you have? I have the Studio 100s and CC570 and find that I have to turn my volume to -12 to reach my 75db calibration, with the L/R speaker level set at 0 and the center also at 0, in order to reach 85 db spl I have to go to almost 0 on the main knob is this the case with you? and what mains do you have?

otherwise I love the T773, very dynamic.
I run Studio 40(v3)/CC570/ADP470 and also have to run the volume at -15 to -10. Between this setting its plenty loud. Not sure what db level this would be while watching a movie, though I did calibrate my speakers to 75db using internal test tones and a spl meter

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
for movies it does pretty good. I do find it to be a bit nasal'ish ( spelling?) but I do prefer a brighter sound. Right now, I have music eq'd, and I listen to movies with no eq. If the yamaha doesn't work out, I probably would be happy with the nad like this for a long time. But for 2 grand canadian, I want to be REALLY sure there isn't something better. The store I am dealing with is Amazing to say the least, and are letting me keep the nad while waiting for the 4600 to arrive. How sweet is that! Funny thing though, I find myself becoming more attached to the NAD. For movies, it really does a great job of seperation. And because the amp has a tendency to have a warm sound, with strong mids, it does tend to help with the surround effects some. But, how much is this the amp, or my new axioms?

If you are concerned with if the nad can't handle 4 ohms.......do not worry. If the nad can't do it, nothing can. My axiom m80's are 4ohms, center and surrounds are 6. The amp doesn't break a sweat.

Now, for the bad. I had this amp in another room at first. The room was much smaller, and speakers being closer, more electronics around with it being a living room. There was a small hum, and hiss if you listened for it. Now in the new room, i am on a dedicated 15amp circuit, hum is practically gone unless you really stick your ear up to a speaker with the volume at insane levels with nothing playing of course, and the hiss is less as well. now that the speakers are like 13 feet away from me, I can't hear any of it anyways. Read into that what you will. Was it my circuit in the other room? was it some nearby electronics? Who knows.

If you get the nad, make sure it is version 2.0 or above you will have an enhanced bass option that send all lfe to fronts and sub. And there are more dsp modes, and less hiss issues.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3
for movies it does pretty good. I do find it to be a bit nasal'ish ( spelling?) but I do prefer a brighter sound. Right now, I have music eq'd, and I listen to movies with no eq. If the yamaha doesn't work out, I probably would be happy with the nad like this for a long time. But for 2 grand canadian, I want to be REALLY sure there isn't something better. The store I am dealing with is Amazing to say the least, and are letting me keep the nad while waiting for the 4600 to arrive. How sweet is that! Funny thing though, I find myself becoming more attached to the NAD. For movies, it really does a great job of seperation. And because the amp has a tendency to have a warm sound, with strong mids, it does tend to help with the surround effects some. But, how much is this the amp, or my new axioms?

If you are concerned with if the nad can't handle 4 ohms.......do not worry. If the nad can't do it, nothing can. My axiom m80's are 4ohms, center and surrounds are 6. The amp doesn't break a sweat.

Now, for the bad. I had this amp in another room at first. The room was much smaller, and speakers being closer, more electronics around with it being a living room. There was a small hum, and hiss if you listened for it. Now in the new room, i am on a dedicated 15amp circuit, hum is practically gone unless you really stick your ear up to a speaker with the volume at insane levels with nothing playing of course, and the hiss is less as well. now that the speakers are like 13 feet away from me, I can't hear any of it anyways. Read into that what you will. Was it my circuit in the other room? was it some nearby electronics? Who knows.

If you get the nad, make sure it is version 2.0 or above you will have an enhanced bass option that send all lfe to fronts and sub. And there are more dsp modes, and less hiss issues.
From what I understand NAD doesn't employ mute circuitry, so the hiss is normal. Typical of toroidal based units.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I do not find it thin not really nasal it seems flat (good thing) and definitely not laking in bass when the signal is there, at the same time it dees not exagerate the bass to where it's boomy,

I like the sound it's clean and very well defined with my set up I may be suffering from some spl loss due to plush furniture and some treatments I put on the side and front walls, I also did not notice any hum or hiss, I sit 15 ft away from the front I'll try to listen more and see.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
see, this is where the internet is totally useless. You can't go by anyone else's description of a sound. What's their ears like? what are they used to hearing?Have they only listened to med to low end equipment? What music do they like? how do they like their musical sound, warm, bright, lots of bass, all mids, no treble, lots of treble? This list goes on.

The Nad with the enhanced bass turned on, with bass set to +10 can't come close to my carvers powering the same speakers in the same room with no eq, and bass on 0. The bass is not boomy because it's not there. I can watch my woofers in my 80's bounce around at low volumes with the carver pre/pro powering them. Heck I don't even need a sub for music. With the Nad, I have to turn it up to insane levels to get them to move at all and a sub is an absolute must. I thought there might be something wrong with mine until I came across a few other people saying the same thing and I have concluded that I :

1. Have different taste in sound quality then most Nad owners or a totally different ear

2. Have heard better systems and expect better from a 2 grand receiver with no features on it.

I took my Carver power amps, and used the NAD as the pre, and guess what? The sound was the close to be being same when using the NAd's internal amps. So the NAD's preamp is the problem. The good news is that the nad's power amps held up quite well against the Carver seperates

I do not listen to jazz, country, opera, classical which I'm sure it probably sounds great with. I find a lot of people here listen to those genre's and that is where the problem begins. That type of music requires a different sound to me. We listen to top40, rap, rock, classic rock, pop etc. I could call the sound flat instead of thin. Flat bass, flat treble, over pronounced mids perhaps, and turning the tone controls really don't make a big difference,and almost makes the bass boomy.

again, with the eq on the nad, you have the best of both worlds.Good power and tweakable sound. Killer is, you can only eq one source, digital obviously isn't eq'd, and if you want to use the tape monitor loop for the eq( which is what you are supposed to do), it disables the SUB which renders the tape loop f'n useless. Really bad design there. The nad is one of the few amps that have external loops for each channel. Something i wish ALL amps/receivers have. You can take the jumpers out, and connect say an eq directly into the channels. Now, this would actually work out quite well, although you would need an eq for each channel. BUT, again, it's rendered useless because it introduces an enormous amount of hiss into the system. Now, in fairness, this could be my Kenwood 7020 ( same as 7030) eq, and I do wonder if something like a behringer 2496 would do it better.

Anyways, I am rambling. And your only hearing the bad side from me because I'm still pissed with it. Fact is, the amp is very well built, heavy as @#[email protected]#, never seems to get warm when properly ventilated, excellent remote, easy to use, the feel to the buttons and volume is nice quality, and I really do like it's looks. Then there's something about having an amp that you know for certain is pushing at least 110watts of clean power on each channel at any time with ease.

The only question I'd have with this amp is , does it sound the way that "YOU" want it to. If it does, you won't be sorry. It is detailed, you'll hear every little sound, I just feel like there is a blanket over my tweeters, and someone turned off two of my M80 woofers. My only other major gripe is that you cannot get the onscreen display over component.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I feel the same way about the internet for reviews. There can be an awesome product, but if one person has a bad experiece that review sticks out more than the five positive. I think I am going to try the 773 out. I keep reading that NAD and PSB sound great together..the funny thing is I just found out that they are owned by the same parent company. As to running my 4ohm speakers... that is a major reason why I am looking at the t773, and Dynamic power in stereo! I wonder how much the new stuff will cost?

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
good luck with it, and make sure to post here and let me know your thoughts. I went to the nad for the same reason, 4 ohm beasts. Like I said, the NAd doesn't break a sweat and you can make your ears bleed if you want. I may even keep mine. I'm listening to it as I type, and with the eq for music I'm very happy with it. But, it all comes down to how th yammie sounds.

good luck,

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
oh, by the way, the Nad has the rs232 connection like most, and software that's free on their site. You can remotely control EVERY aspect of the nad via a computer. You can also set presets using the pc ( you can do this with the remote as well of course ) and you can save all of your setup including speaker settings and sizes, crossover freq, speakers levels including sub, input settings which include which video uses what audio connection. So, it's like a cool backup system.

I never see this mentioned so i thought I would.

·
Registered
95 Posts
newfmp3 likewise when you get your 4600 please post your thoughts and impressions on it I was debating between the two and listened to the 4600 briefly in a separate room at the dealer and went with the NAD

the sales guy had to move the Studio 100s to the yammy and the room was smaller

please keep us posted.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
absolutely. I have about 2 weeks to wait. There was a port strike in Vancouver, Canada that delayed all the shipments of the 4600. I've already been waiting 3 weeks.

Originally I never even entertained the idea of getting a Yamaha as the rumor was the power supplies would never handle my axiom setup. So, I was looking at Denon/NAD/Rotel.

Rotel seems overpriced for what you get. I ended up financing the NAD. Now, if I don't like it, the only other choice from this store is marantz/yamaha/rotel. AFter reading good reviews of the 4600 I thought I would try it...what odds, I got nothing to lose but shipping it back.

Whatever I replace the nad with has to be of the same price. I thought about getting a rx-v2500 and getting a 2 channel nad, but wanted to try the 4600 first.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I'm cross shopping the same models mentioned in this thread as well. Another interesting one coming down the pipe in the same price range is the Denon AVR-4306 ($1999 List). Denon is strange for me because I don't have a local dealer anymore to test them and Denon seems to have a love/hate following on the forums. Some like them a lot, others don't like the sound, i.e. say they're too bright, etc.

Anyways, I thought i'd mention that in this thread as another option. It would nice if one of the publications does a shootout between all these similar priced receivers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.