AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry for the newbish tone to this thread but I have focused my amp search on these two amps.

Here is my setup: All Klipsch... RF-62ii, RC-3, RS-3 surrounds. My uses are 80% Movies 20% gaming and my room size is 21'x12'x8'

I know Emotiva runs sales a few times a year but I missed the July 4th one, but as of right now the XPA-5 is $899 and the NAD I can get for $699 at a local dealer. This will be my first multi channel amp and as of right now I have 3 Audiosource 100's bridged powering my front stage. The Audiosource's have to go and I want 5 channels because eventually I will go 7 channel and I only want my Onkyo RC-180 to run two channels due to excessive heat, etc.

Hers is where I want your input. How will the 100 watts per channel difference (100x5 for the NAD 200x5 Emotiva) show itself, if at all? I just don't want to have buyer's remorse because I "settled" for less power. There are not many reviews out there for the NAD so I'm looking for input here because so far my threads here are yielding MUCH better results than surfing for reviews.

I won't be moving for a long time and my mains are new and the surrounds are new to me. If I upgrade anything in the near future it would be the center channel to a RC-62ii. I hear great things about the Emotiva amps but at the end of the day I like spending less if I can. I also like the idea, and I know it can be overrated, of getting in the car and driving across town to pick up a piece of gear or return it. I have been burned with ID companies before.

Thanks for any input guys...

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
For those speakers the 955 will do just fine. It's also quite possible that the 955 is actually more powerful than its specs. Test reports for NAD products usually show more than their rated power. I would go for the NAD in this case. It's close to home and those speakers are easy to drive.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Looking at the extremely high sensitivity ratings for your Klipsch speakers, I don't see why you need to spend any money on a separate amplifier - a receiver's built-in power should be fine for your application.

But if you have to have separates, the NAD should be more than adequate, in fact it might outperform the Emotiva -- as mentioned, NAD tends to under-rate their power specs.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaraficionado
Looking at the extremely high sensitivity ratings for your Klipsch speakers, I don't see why you need to spend any money on a separate amplifier - a receiver's built-in power should be fine for your application.

But if you have to have separates, the NAD should be more than adequate, in fact it might outperform the Emotiva -- as mentioned, NAD tends to under-rate their power specs.
Good to know...from what I've read I believe Emotiva is similar in their power ratings as they guarantee them all channels driven and no less than the rated power...didn't know that about the NAD though.

Also I agree about the Klipsch sensitivity, I DID hear a difference running them off of the Onkyo vs the bridged Audiosource amps...so I did notice an improvement.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunt
Good to know...from what I've read I believe Emotiva is similar in their power ratings as they guarantee them all channels driven and no less than the rated power...didn't know that about the NAD though.

Also I agree about the Klipsch sensitivity, I DID hear a difference running them off of the Onkyo vs the bridged Audiosource amps...so I did notice an improvement.
I wish my speakers were that sensitive.

·
Registered
7,809 Posts
Go to your dealer and see if he will let you bring the 955 home to try out in your domain with your system. Best reviewer possible is you. If it does what you want hand over the card or cash. Good luck and enjoy.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/20826613

Go to your dealer and see if he will let you bring the 955 home to try out in your domain with your system. Best reviewer possible is you. If it does what you want hand over the card or cash. Good luck and enjoy.

Did you decide? I had a NAD amp (5ch) go belly up on me in 3 days. I traded it back in for a B&K 4330 (3 ch).

But this was over 10 years ago. I had a NAD receiver also, and it was one of the best I had or heard.

I have an Onkyo 809 now, and actually considering the new NAD. I had also considered the XPA-3. But physically it is a beast, but no doubt a fine amp for the money. The NAD would still fit on my stand.

I think the power of the Onkyo is adequate, but I believe the NAD would sound a bit sweeter, and would have more reserve for dynamics besides.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunt /forum/post/20825516

Note that they post specs at 1 khz rather than full bandwidth.

There's indication that they use a test of short duration, so I have my doubts some of the amps could hold full power for minutes (not that they have to, peaks are of short duration.)

Just trying to clarify the situation, as I best understand it.

The reason I explain this, is people will sometimes question how something like the XPA-3 could continuosly hold rated power given it's transformer's VA rating.

This is not a reason to not buy Emotiva, because it's hard to find anything that can beat their performance for the price, outside the pro amp market, anyway.

·
Registered
12,757 Posts
Are you using an AVR now? If so, what make and model, and do you think an amp will help?

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

Something like the TX-SR609 would provide more than sufficient power to drive your Klipschs to Reference Levels. An XPA-5 is overkill. A Marantz SR6005 would also be an excellent choice and offers Audyssey MultEQ whereas the 609 only offers Audyssey 2EQ which does not apply EQ to the Subwoofer. Also the 6005 offers Preamp Outputs should you get Speakers that are less efficient in the future.

Cheers,

AD

1 - 13 of 13 Posts