Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this an unfair comparison ?

Now that I have pretty much given up on the separates option due to costs (hopefully later on as I certainly tend to prefer that set up), I was wondering how a NAD receiver (773 I guess) would compare to the Rotel models. I certainly am hoping to find a retailer that has both so I can check with my own ears, but I would like to hear some opinions as well.

let me know what you think ! thx,

giovanni

·
Registered
152 Posts
It's not an unfair comparison at all. As an avid NAD fan, I'll be the first one to say that Rotel's hardware is great. They don't seem to offer a full 7-channel receiver like the NAD 773 [I was mistaken -- see below], but their gear is usually about six months ahead of NAD (and a little more expensive, on average). In general I would say Rotel components sound a little brighter, and I think their remotes are awful, but there's no question they make great stuff.

They use the same processors as NAD in many/most cases as well.

What's your budget, and which features are you looking for?

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you !

Ok, I listen a lot to music and I have never had anything more that 2ch.

Now that I have a decent tv, I guess I should also expand to these multi ch stuff. I don't know one thing about it, but I am sure that what is most important to me is the quality of 2ch audio as I listen to music and I am very critical there (classical and opera mostly) - I am thinking when I watch a movie the quality per se is less important (it is all sound effects I guess).

My speakers set up now is Boston Acoustic Micro with sub and when I get a multi-ch receiver I will add at first a center channel - later on the rest.

My budget is $2,000 but I would love to include there a center channel - if at all possible without trashing audio quality - I could not live with

Let me know what you think, thx a million,

giovanni

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By the way I auditioned just once a Rotel Receiver (I think it was the 1066, not sure though) and I was not impressed - the sound was sort of bound, closed. Again it was just the first time I listened to Rotel so I don't know, but it was bad enough that something else was going on because it just woud not stand up not even near its reputation.

gio

·
Registered
152 Posts
I went through exactly the same process as you, windwaves, with almost exactly the same budget. I settled on the NAD T163 as pre-pro/preamp and video switcher with the C272 (2 x 150) amplifier, because my a/v room is currently very small. That combo is under $2000, but provides only two channels (though one could always add more amps). If you have a decent sized listening/watching area, this setup could disappoint, and I know I'm looking forward to a costly upgrade to add another 5-channel amp later on).

I think what you want to compare is the NAD 773 and the upcoming Rotel RSX-1067 (shipping in a couple of weeks, supposedly). They're closely matched 7-channel receivers. If you'd be happy with a 5-channel system, you could likely chop $500-1000 off that figure.

In a sheer numbers game, I believe the Rotel box wins on number/newness of surround modes (like the cutting-edge DPL2X and DTS/ES-Discrete) and component bandwidth (75Mhz to NAD's 50Mhz). The NAD system wins on power rating (110w/channel to Rotel's 100w on the high end models), price, and a far better remote. You'll obviously balance those factors with your impression of their relative sound quality (you know my answer). You won't really go wrong with either kit.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Good luck finding a dealer that has both. They appear to compete in the lower-high-end in a way that most dealers appear to have one or the other.

I have a Rotel 2-channel setup RSX-1050 that I really like. It beat out the NAD for me.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you fsckd, and lesp, I already know one dealer that has both, here in NYC, actually in my neighbourhood, so that will be easy.

Fsckd, little I know, in fact one of the very few things I knew I have to pay attention with these things is the component bandwidth, even though I am not sure exactly. My understanding is that for HDTV one needs a certain minimum, but do you know what is the minimum and does it also depend on how many devices (video) one has attached ?

gio

·
Registered
152 Posts
Asking about minimum component bandwidth for HDTV images is a good way to start a fist fight around here. The current HDTV standard requires component output on source devices to be 35Mhz (+/- 3db). That's probably enough to handle all but 720p at native resolution without any degradation of image.

There's no guarantee, however, that *any* current HDTV source actually utilizes all that bandwidth, and very few televisions availible today actually display full 1080i or 720p resolution w/o interpolation of some kind. If you can only spend $2000 on a receiver, I'm betting you don't have a $10K television, which means that either 50 or 75 Mhz should be just fine for your purposes.

Finally, component video is an analog signal, which means it's subject to all sorts of interference. The only way to get a "perfect" HDTV picture would be a direct digital feed (DVI, probably) from a non-compressed, non-OTA source. By the time that's availible to you, you'll likely be looking to upgrade anyway. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok, I think I get it, at least the idea. Thank you !

No my TV was not 10k, I have a plasma NEC, but it is HD (1080i) and has a DVI port, so I wondered. I agree with you though, the HDTV "thing" is still, incredibly, premature. Here in NYC there are basically a couple of channels that broadcast in real HD at 1080i, including Discovery HD which has a few programs on a loop.

And by the way, I think $2,000 on a receiver is a lot of $$$$ ! knowing of course that one could spend many many times as much.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Don't think I'm saying $2000 isn't a lot for a receiver. I still have a $500 television, and I got my T163 on a trade-in.

The sub-$5K NEC sets all interpolate 1080i down to a lower resolution than 1920 by 1080, so either receiver should have plenty of bandwidth for your set. Still, if you have DVI input on your set (and a DVI source), you might want to bypass either receiver for HD material.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I was nearly set on a NAD T752 . I thought it was by far the best sounding receiver I had heard and had very honest power ratings at 80w x 5.

then i was allowed to increase my budget and put the Rotel RSX1055 into consideration.

I am strictly 5.1 situation so even though an NADT762 would have been amore fair comparison the extra channel would not have mattered.

Power wise the NAD and Rotel are pretty even. I found the Rotel a tiny bit more detailed in the sound. The Rotel was quite a bit more expensive but maybe only 5% better "soiunding" So why did I buy the rotel then?

1. Build quality. I don't think there is any comparison. the Rotel looks like a $2000 peice of gear. the NAD looks like it was made from a kit. If I was strict on budget I could overlook it but if I was gonna spend $1000 plus on something I wnated it to be builkt like it.

2. Fans: the NAD has them and even though they are quieter than early units they are still there. I don't want fans in my gear. Moving parts wear out and make noise. I don't want that.

3. Quality issues: Rotel isn't perfect but they are miles ahead of NAD. Firmwear updates solve many issues.

4. Support: There isn't a comparison between the Rotel and NAD dealer locally so I felt the Rotel was worth the extra for thre support and piece of mind. Club Rotel is a great resource and Rotel is very responsive.

5. I like the Rotel remote! It might be a little big and clunkiy (the sliding door sucks) but it does have a small LCD screen and is able to learn any commands I wnt from my other remotes.

6. Someday I hope to go to separate amps and I feel comfortable that my 1055 would make an excellent pre/pro. Not so sure about NAD as not many people sya they have done this.

Both are fine sounding. NAD has a price/performance advantage and if I was on budget I'd pick it over HK, Denon, Yamaha etc.. but Rotel was the one for me.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yep, the native resolution of my Nec (which I did pay nearly $5k and I lvoe it !) is 1024*768, that is what they refer to as HD set, at least in Plasma land. I don't know of any plasma (at least 42") with a resolution of 1920*1080 though. Decisions, decisions !!!!!

Hey, this discussion is turning out very useful, I appreciate :)

gio

·
Registered
414 Posts
I would go for the NAD. The T773 covers most of the surround formats available. Nad has informed me they are in the process to issue an upgrade to cover DPL2x. I am the owner of a T762 and I am quite satisfied with the flexibility offered. The connectivity at the back is quite good, and the software to Drive the unit from a Windows based system is great! NAd offers great support, and has always issued new firmware to cure any bugs within its software whenever the need arise!

I would definelty test both models!

·
Registered
152 Posts
windwaves: I've seen the NEC plasmas, and they look beautiful. I'd try the DVI out once if you have a DVI cable lying around, and if you don't see a huge difference from viewing distance, go with the component receiver.

JamieSapp: Though NAD has had quality control issues in the past, the current crop of products (meaning the T**3 generation) are rock solid, and NAD replaced the firmware in T**2 models under warranty. You like the Rotel remote, and I like the NAD look, so I guess we're even. Does the 773 have fans? I don't believe my T163 does.

woodrow: 10% off the 773 isn't bad at all. Dealers aren't cutting them too deeply, and I haven't seen them for much lower than that from a reputable dealer.

gatt767: If I'm to understand this from another thread, DPL2x is only useful for 7.1/2 setups, which it doesn't sound like windwaves wants or has. Probably not an issue.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.