AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Living i Holland i have found out that my cable company uses an encryption called Nagravision 2.

It links a particular mac/ip address to the cable network, therefore stopping you from tuning in to any channels, it also encrypts the channels.

Is there any way i will be able to use a cable card in my tv to avoid the terrible cable specific tuner box i have been given?

Instead using the integrated QAM tuner on my tv?

I have of course got the card from the company that is inserted inside my cable-box atm, it shows nagravision on there.

I really wish there was a way to overcome this 'unofficially'

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,753 Posts
Obtaining service illegally is not for discussion here.

If you are in the US, all cableco's offer must offer CableCARD. You would need an HD set with CableCARD capability. It will allow you to receive all channels, SD & HD, that you pay for. There is usually a fee for the CableCARD rental, approximately $5 per month on average.

The downside is that CableCARD does not do PPV, VOD, or the cable IPG. Some CableCARD sets have their own IPG approach, which varies widely.

Most all cableco's offer local HD in the clear, which a QAM tuner will receive without a CableCARD.

CableCARD is only supported in the US, and it would be very unlikely you could take a access card out of a cable box in Europe and use it in any other way.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply.

Of course i do not want to do anything illegal.

I just think its a bit stupid that these televisions have the tuners that you pay extra for, yet you cant take advantage of.

Over here in Europe you will be lucky to get HD atall. Let alone local hd stations!

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Check out the Fire DTV DVB-C Firewire external boxes. These will accept a Conditional Access Module with Smart Card via a Common Interface slot I believe - and apparently have been integrated into Windows Media Center via an unofficial drive that makes them appear as DVB-T tuners.

If you can source a CAM for Nagravision 2 that will work, you should be able to use your existing subscription card (as you will still be subscribing and are not trying to defraud your cable company), though the MAC address stuff you mention may cause an issue - as would card marriage if that is part of the Nagravision process. There are 3rd party CAMs available that emulate various decryption systems (still requiring proper subscriptions) - but your mileage may vary.

This technique is being used in Scandinavia to build PCs running Media Center that cope with cable properly, rather than relying on external set-top-boxes and analogue PAL capture solutions with the quality drop and poor widescreen signalling this introduces.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just found out from several dutch posts no cam cards support nagravision 2.

Every other cable company in holland supports it through different decryption..as for me and the rest of amsterdam..we are stuck to using a crappy slow philips cable box without the display working on the front..so now my tv is just going to act as a display and i still have to pay my 60 euros a month...if only i had room for a satalite.

New Plan

Move house to somewhere with a roof/balcany and get sky HD (from the uk)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.