AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping someone else will know what this is - I'd dearly love to own it...

This is an underwater documentary. They show an amazing variety of fish, coral, various invertebrates, etc. Interspersed throughout is the mention of "a far-off rumbling" then "it's getting closer", etc. They go into quite a bit of detail about many of the species and you learn a great deal and develop a kind of fondness (certainly a respectful fascination) for them.

Near the end, you find out that the rumbling is a gigantic net - an enormous chain-link kind of thing, IIRC, slowly dragged behind a fishing boat. In the very end, you see all the fascinating marine life that you've learned about just strewn all over the deck of this fishing vessel - all dead. (They were only after one thing. It's the fishing equivalent of strip-mining.) All the dead sea creatures get shoved back overboard, amidst the destroyed coral reef. Truly a heartbreaking show, but immensely powerful. Can't remember if I saw it on PBS or Discovery or what. May not even be available on DVD.

Anyone else seen it?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Check Amazon for the Blue Planet series of DVD's. There's a hour long supplement titled Deep Trouble that comes with the set that could be what you are looking for. Read the reviews and you should find it.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Sounds fishy to me.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, KOA. I checked that out, and it's hard to say for sure if that's it, or just something similar. I looked it up on Netflix, and they have the Blue Planet DVDs, but Deep Trouble must be on some bonus disc that they don't offer. Hopefully someone else can comment on whether or not "Deep Trouble" sounds like what I've described above.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well, I dont know the movie but the fishing process is called Bottom Trawling (wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bottom_trawling )

As you've said its particularly destructive and some countries (New Zealand) have recently been taking steps to limit its use. I think they also may have banned it on parts of the west coast of the USA.

Hope that helps you find the movie.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Finding Nemo?:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.