AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At Best Buy and Circuit City they showed a presentation where there was a field of flowers that looked excent on HDTV's. They no longer are showing it and the sales folks don't really know for sure and guess it might be Planet Earth. Just wondering if anyone knows what I'm talking about Planet Earth is a little pricey considering I'm not sure that's the one. I'm looking for something to really show off my HDTV and Blu-ray. Thanks!
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
23,032 Posts
If it was not a demo disc, it probably was Plant Earth. Even if it was not Planet Earth, getting Planet Earth will definitely show some great HD. If you have a HD DVR, Discovery Channel still runs the Planet Earth series. I just recorded them all last week.


larry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
774 Posts
Try renting Planet Earth before you buy. That way you can be sure that's what you saw and, even if not, you'll know whether it's worth the price for you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,223 Posts
Did they have a Sony DHG-HDD500/250 DVR hooked up to the display? Or at least sitting anywhere near it that you could see? They had a demo mode on their HDD that had that, and that I know at least CC was using to show off their displays (don't recall ever seeing it at the BB here, but they never sold the Sony's here, like they supposedly did at some of the BB's). They originally paired it with the Sony SXRD's when they were out, but they used them on other displays later.


(Actually, a few of the Sony owners from it's thread here got theirs as demo units from those stores, and they had to take it out of that mode before they could use it.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,895 Posts
A local Circuit City has a Sony DHG running a demo loop that has flower fields and some mountain backdrops. I think the mountains scenes at least, are from Hawaii. No idea if the material is supplied by Sony or recorded from CATV/OTA.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,223 Posts
I think all of them have the mode, if you know how to activate it, but I could be wrong. I have one myself, but I never looked that hard. I seem to vaguely recall seeing something somewhere in the manual that mentions it, though, and I thought I remembered others saying it was there. If so, I imagine it's either supplied or licensed by Sony.


Last time I ever saw it being used here, I think it was on a Sony XBR LCD.


I'm too lazy to go dig my manual out and search through it right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,996 Posts
Yep, I've seen Sony HDD-DHG250/500's playing that at CC and Sears as well. I bought mine open box at Best Buy, and it was the only one I ever saw at that store, but I never saw the demo mode after I got it home, so I don't think it was used for that there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enchanter123 /forum/post/15447112


At Best Buy and Circuit City they showed a presentation where there was a field of flowers that looked excent on HDTV's. They no longer are showing it and the sales folks don't really know for sure and guess it might be Planet Earth. Just wondering if anyone knows what I'm talking about Planet Earth is a little pricey considering I'm not sure that's the one. I'm looking for something to really show off my HDTV and Blu-ray. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski /forum/post/15451991


I think all of them have the mode, if you know how to activate it, but I could be wrong. I have one myself, but I never looked that hard. I seem to vaguely recall seeing something somewhere in the manual that mentions it, though, and I thought I remembered others saying it was there. If so, I imagine it's either supplied or licensed by Sony.


Last time I ever saw it being used here, I think it was on a Sony XBR LCD.


I'm too lazy to go dig my manual out and search through it right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyF /forum/post/15452191


Yep, I've seen Sony HDD-DHG250/500's playing that at CC and Sears as well. I bought mine open box at Best Buy, and it was the only one I ever saw at that store, but I never saw the demo mode after I got it home, so I don't think it was used for that there.


Probably Demo mode, here are the instructions on how to activate the Demo Mode on the Sony HDD-DHG250/500's.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top