Registered
5,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine is "Don Juan Demarco" (wife is a Depp fan) :eek:

b2b

·
Banned
3,669 Posts
How about ACE VENTURA PET DETECTIVE.Its 4:3 and it looks aweful.To big of a movie for a terrible transfer. J.H.

·
Banned
5,823 Posts
The Relic

The picture looks far too soft and shadow detail is lost in the many darkened scenes and you end up being unable to see a thing onscreen.

The Ghost and The Darkness

Disappointing transfer its a bit grainy i remember this at the cinema and it looked amazing.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
That would probably be the first release of Highlander and I will name it "Bob". Take my wife, please!! Bah-dump-bum! :D

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
The original disc of the Stepford Wives. It's so bad it makes the first Highlander dvd look like DVE in comparison. There were places where the image actually broke apart into a big mess of compression artifacts. Hands down the worst encoding I've ever seen on a dvd. At first I thought I had a defective disc, but after going through several copies from several retailers, sadly I began to realize the problem was the original encoding. Actually, most of AB's early discs looked like crap, but Stepford was certainly the worst. Thankfully their second try at releasing it, while not a stellar pq, was at least watchable.

·
Registered
174 Posts
My worst is definitely Highlander. After playing it, I no longer thought the $10 I paid was a good buy. lol. At least I got a good laugh out of the "slide show" in the extra features that went by at 30 frames a second instead of stopping at each image. ;-)

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Detour - A gritty "classic" noir, IMO, movie the dvd of which there are a couple scenes that the film source was damaged and skips. Otherwise, not too bad a transfer. I like this type of movie, but many would probably think it a C-grade drive-in only filler before the main feature. :D

·
Registered
776 Posts
Hands down the absolute worst transfer I have in my DVD collection is Outland. I have seriously considered throwing it in the garbage.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I have the first highlander, and it was awful, but since it is already mentioned I'll go with Enigma. Sony even released a special edition of Enigma a few months later but did not replace these faulty discs (that I know of). Universal and Fox fix their mistakes. CTS can bite me.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Criterion's ROBOCOP is pretty bad picture quality and sound (2.0) Non anamorphic as well. The current MGM version is 16:9 enhanced and has a MUCH better image with 5.1 sound to boot.

-Mike

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Gotta go with the Ace Ventura transfer. Even my old LD is widescreen - why can't we get a reissue of Ace Ventura in proper widescreen?

And the transfer is truly awful as well...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Original release of Hunt for the Red October.

Juan

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
I actually have a completely different experience with the Criterion Robocop. I think it's one of the better non-anamorphic titles in my collection. I do find the sound on the DVD underwhelming and not matching at all the theater experience. It sounded *fantastic* at the theater I was working at when it came out. The ED209 scene would make everybody jump out of their seats and sound of bullets whizzing around during shooting scenes were brain-rattling.

The worst PQ titles I currently own (non public domain) are 'The Great Escape' and 'Manufacturing Consent: Noam Chomsky and the Media' (which I shouldn't really count 'cause it's a documentary).

I gave away 'Force 10 from Navarone' as I found it to be it completely unwatchable (PQ wise, for those about to jump in regarding content :) ).

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
obviously, none of you folks have see the Warren Miller DVD of his movie Storm. Maybe it doesn't count here cause its, well, a ski "documentary" but I have never seen such an attrocious transfer. For at least 1/3 of the DVD (in various places), it appears that the video source was 320x250 and they just doubled the pixels in both directions. You see aliasing everywhere. its just plain horrible.

·
Premium Member
1,217 Posts
You folks haven't seen a bad transer yet if those are the worst you've seen. I have seen almost every one listed so far and have owned or own most of them.

The first release of "Highlander," "Robocop" and "Hunt for Red October" are all better than "Outland," "The Great Escape" and "Force 10 from Navarone". If you want to see something truly offensive . . . on second thought a couple of these are still readily available and if I list them here, some of you will actually go out and buy them. Then you would come back and blame me for buying a truly "UGLY" DVD. It would also send the wrong message to GoodTimes, Alpha and Madacy if they sold any more of those titles.

I'll put it to you this way, even the credits are illegible. I'm not kidding! I had to go to IMDB in order to read the credits. The framing is bad (cropped and crooked image) and the image dances about on the screen. The film is dusty, scratched and portions of the film are washed out. I noticed a couple of these faults on one or two of the DVDs you mentioned but none of them have all of these. I have one such DVD and a couple of others are close seconds. Well, it did! I used it as a frisbee. :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
The latest American Pie movie is just terrible. Looked like someone shot it with a camcorder in a movie theater.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Quadrophenia: despite stating "enhanced for widescreen" on the box it is actually letterboxed within a 4:3 image :(

Sure, I can watch it in zoom mode, but then it doesn't look any better than my 10-year old VHS copy

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
For me it's a tie between Outland and Trancers. The latter looks it was encoded from a VHS tape recording, and gives the impression the film was shot with a thin layer of vaseline covering the camera lenses. Gives new meaning to the term color smearing.

--Jerome

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.