AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced a 2nd generation iPod Nano with the 5th generation Nano. The audio performance & battery life are a big step backwards from the 2nd generation Nano. (Using same in-ear phones & settings) I returned the first one thinking it was defective, but noticed no improvement. The sound level is lower & if you activate the equalizer, it drops even more. On the other hand, the radio plays very loud, so I'm not sure what is going on. (A software nanny put in place to limit the digital audio output possibly?????) I much prefer the "S" series Walkman for it's more robust/deeper sound.

Any opinions on whether the latest generation iPod Touch or Classic offers much improvement over the 5th generation Ipod with these 2 parameters in mind (battery life & sound quality)? I have tried my in-ear phones with an older iPod Classic & it was actually a bit stronger than my 2nd generation iPod. I'm really confused on which model is the best bet for sound quality/quantity.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've been sifting thru the players for a couple days now and have noticed that on ebay the 3-5th gen classic players bring top dollar if they work compared to a new 7th gen. I've been wondering the same thing, are the newer generation players more tied to subscription stuff or crippled in some way compared to the previous players?

·
Registered
270 Posts
After doing a bunch of research, I picked up a new itouch and pretty neat to be able to stream pandora or any radio station or xm/sirius to your ipod. Really a different world than a nano or classic (and I own one of each of those). Side note, battery life seems to be way better than my iphone.

·
Registered
233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Rules /forum/post/18215931

I just replaced a 2nd generation iPod Nano with the 5th generation Nano. The audio performance & battery life are a big step backwards from the 2nd generation Nano. (Using same in-ear phones & settings) I returned the first one thinking it was defective, but noticed no improvement. The sound level is lower & if you activate the equalizer, it drops even more. On the other hand, the radio plays very loud, so I'm not sure what is going on. (A software nanny put in place to limit the digital audio output possibly?????) I much prefer the "S" series Walkman for it's more robust/deeper sound.

Any opinions on whether the latest generation iPod Touch or Classic offers much improvement over the 5th generation Ipod with these 2 parameters in mind (battery life & sound quality)? I have tried my in-ear phones with an older iPod Classic & it was actually a bit stronger than my 2nd generation iPod. I'm really confused on which model is the best bet for sound quality/quantity.

Thanks!!

The newest ipod touches have good sound quality. Much better than my 6th gen(2007 model) classic 160. I've heard they are closer to the iPhone 3GS which is apparently the best sounding of all their devices. Sony's do sound good. Would have bought one instead of the touch, but couldn't go without the pandora streaming and ooTunes(I like listening to hometown sports radio). Also use it to watch video frequently which it does very well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts