AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't own a ReplayTV *yet* but I have some questions about them and the current state of things...

1. Is it worth it to wait for the 4500? I have read that the 4000 will be upgraded to the 4500 code. Waiting isn't a problem. Thinking it may be good just to add one more to the sales number when they start selling them in the stores....

2. Cable connection VS "Insert dish company name" here with regards to ease of set up and use with the replaytv unit. TimeWarner is in the area here so that's the local cable company. Thinking cable just because my view of the horizon is a bit crowded (a few buildings). I'd like to know what are some of the experiences people have had with the use usability.

I'm not after which service is better. I'm wanting to now which has less hassle getting going with the ReplayTV. Probably both are the same but it would nice to know avoid cable box XYZ and look for ABC instead just for an example.

3. Anything else that could be a must have/worry about? I have a RCA RCU810 (thanks to the forum for that tip!) to handle the too many remote control problem.

Thanks!

Jason

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I haven't ever used a satellite, but nobody else better qualified has chimed up to answer, so...

they're equally easy to set up. The only usability issues different are the channel-changing controls. On some (all?) satellite controllers, that can be done over a serial port which is more reliable and hopefully faster than using the IR blaster.

How much of a hassle the IR blaster is depends on the cable box. With the DCT-2000s(ptui!) there are occasional mis-read commands (well under 1% for me, but still annoying). With some very new cable boxes (do a search for 'sony and comcast' for a recent example), you're just out of luck. But for most people, that's no problem either.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
As for the satellite business I've used em both... and there's all the merger stuff in the air, but I wouldn't sweat it. With 4 or 4.5K you're virtually assured it will work with whatever we end up with, unlike the combo units.
Quote:
Originally posted by portwojc
3. Anything else that could be a must have/worry about? I have a RCA RCU810 (thanks to the forum for that tip!) to handle the too many remote control problem.
Yes that's a great remote. The only one I like better is 15-1994, but that's really just because of the placement of the transport buttons. RCU810 is a cool remote and got me started on jp1! :cool::cool:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Couple of qucik thoughts:

we had cox analog cable and replay tv and it worked great.

i'm an idiot, and therefore agreed to get a free upgrade to digital cable.

we got a GI (Motorola) set top box from Cox and i could not get it and ReplayTV to play nice despite numerous attempts to tweak the IR blaster that ReplayTV uses to change channels on the cable box.

I then went and got DirecTV. DirecTV apparently supports using the serial port on the DirecTV recv'r to accept channel-change commands from replayTV instead of the IR blaster. Well, the serial link didn't work.

SO....what's the bottom line? I just finished getting replaytv to control my RCA DSM433RG DirecTV set top box. It works great (as far as I can tell). In the ReplayTV FAQ, there's a short list of directv set top boxes that are "known" to work with ReplayTV. I don't think Dish supports serial interface...not sure if the IR blaster will work with Dish either.

My rca box has a port that's labeled "low speed data" which I believe is non-techie for serial port.

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by markchev
...not sure if the IR blaster will work with Dish either.

Just to confirm the ir blaster works flawlessly with Dish. It may depend on the receiver but it is certainly as reliable for me as the serial control of the DirectTV receivers... once you get it set up correctly. Serial is easier to set up but it maybe harder to find the DSS boxes that are compatible. However in any case blaster contol of DSS should be just as reliable as DISH.

Some of those cable boxes are a different story of course.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.