AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
BIG ! thanks to John aka Red Five
Answering all my questions
Helping with a narrow mini devastator ( TOP HATCH DESIGN)x 2 to maximize my space / front stage

18ish hz tune

Subwoofers
B&C 18DS100-4 18" Professional x 2

Amp
Crown 2002 x1 or x2
Or
Crown DCi 1250
Mini dsp 2x4hd
Clean box pro

3/4 mdf - 4 sheets
Pl x3
Nailer
48" clamps x4

The red crayon version of the Mini Devastator assembly guide I believe is the same as this.

If anyone has feedback or suggestions or sees a mistake

Please post

·
Registered
164 Posts
Just a thought (something I do): any panel that has an edge that is the factory cut I make a little wider so I can trim the factory edge off for several reasons.
Usually it seems a tad 'fuzzy' so trimming it off leaves a good surface that you know is at 90 degrees to the flat side all the way down.
Also that leaves me a known truly straight edge for when I use the cross-cut sled.

I'm not sure what your shop is set up with or your level of wood working so I just thought I'd mention it.

ETA: I'll be watching your build, I love build threads.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a thought (something I do): any panel that has an edge that is the factory cut I make a little wider so I can trim the factory edge off for several reasons.
Usually it seems a tad 'fuzzy' so trimming it off leaves a good surface that you know is at 90 degrees to the flat side all the way down.
Also that leaves me a known truly straight edge for when I use the cross-cut sled.

I'm not sure what your shop is set up with or your level of wood working so I just thought I'd mention it.

ETA: I'll be watching your build, I love build threads.
That's a good idea. I know exactly what your talking about.

I'll be doing all the work and cutting.

I have done 4 micro marty
I know I need to make perfect cuts
If I need to buy another tool I will.

The level of performance on these boxes is unreal.

·
Registered
Yamaha RXa2060 - HTM12 / Pa460 3way LCR - Volt10s atmos - HT8s rears - (4) Dual JBL Devs - (2) F20s
609 Posts
Is this the same mini narrow I built? If so then hold on to something because these will knock your socks off with midbass, oh how I miss my pa460 loaded narrow mini’s.

Just make sure you pre-drill your driver holes on the bench so then you will know your drivers are lined up in the center and make sure you paint your ports as you go. If you do forget to paint as you go, you will never forget again after “trying” to paint them after the fact.

Edit : And not everyone needs the cleanbox, I bought two for my inukes and wound up returning them both.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If this is the same mini narrow I built then hold on to something because these will knock your head off with midbass, oh how I miss my pa460 loaded narrow mini’s.

Just make sure you pre-drill your driver holes on the bench so then you will know your drivers are lined up in the center and make sure you paint your ports as you go. If you do forget to paint as you go, you will never forget again after “trying” to paint them after the fact.

We're your top hatch design?

I remember asking you.

Red five has said these 18's will perform like a 21.
Now not eminence NSW6021 king daddy level but....

I am looking for more impact bass gun shots kinda stuff.

Then I'll have 4 micro marty behind the coach 🤪

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
As far as cutting those sides longer, if you have a router you could buy a flush trim bit and use it to “shave off” the excess. Then you won’t have to cut the sides perfect.

Also if your subs will be on display use a 1/2 mix of glue and water and paint on the MDF edges, let dry, sand and they will come out smooth.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As far as cutting those sides longer, if you have a router you could buy a flush trim bit and use it to “shave off” the excess. Then you won’t have to cut the sides perfect.

Also if your subs will be on display use a 1/2 mix of glue and water and paint on the MDF edges, let dry, sand and they will come out smooth.
I do have a router.
I have a bit kit.

I dont think I'll do them on display

Thanks for the idea tho

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Top hatch design.
Putting this here to help me

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
It is not a race, take your time, question and double check what you are doing. It is easy to get carried away in the presence of new and shiny drivers.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It is not a race, take your time, question and double check what you are doing. It is easy to get carried away in the presence of new and shiny drivers.
Agree.
I dont feel like I am rushing.
I will 100% be asking questions

1 - 20 of 25 Posts