AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have an pictures of a narrow theater install?

I'm currently in the planning process and it looks like my room will be a little over 10' wide by 24'+ deep when framed and finished -- currently unfinished and unframed right now.

Since it will be narrow, do folks recommend placing the speakers behind the screen? Also, for those that have done a narrow installation, are there any things I need to be particularly aware of?

·
Registered
224 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svoboda /forum/post/12951723

Does anyone have an pictures of a narrow theater install?

I'm currently in the planning process and it looks like my room will be a little over 10' wide by 24'+ deep when framed and finished -- currently unfinished and unframed right now.

Since it will be narrow, do folks recommend placing the speakers behind the screen? Also, for those that have done a narrow installation, are there any things I need to be particularly aware of?

Mine may not be what your looking for but...its actually 12' wide and 28 long. The screen used is a 110" which is 8' wide. If you went with a smaller screen like a 92" screen which is 80" wide that would leave you approx 2 feet on either side to fit your speakers and depending on how high your ceiling is you could place your center under the screen like i did due to my low celing. My towers are 11" wide due to the feet under them..your may not have feet so you would possibly gain 4" per speaker.

I personally would not recommend speaker placement behind your screen as perforated screens dont work too well..but thats just my thoughts.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=985255

Ignore the rest of the pics..its under new construction.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My theater room is but 9'6" wide and I have a 2:35 screen whose frame size is 110" wide. My screen is an AT screen from SMX. The speakers are behind it and I couldn't be happier with the sound and picture. Because your room is so long I'd recommend an AT screen with at least 3' behind it for equipment. I'd also steal some of the room in the back of the room for an equipment closet. It's always nice to get the light, noise and heat out of the theater space. I went with high back rocking chair theater seats because I could get more seating in my narrow space as I went with two rows of four seats. For you this would leave an isle space of a around 30". Oh, and I put my side surround speakers in my soffits so they don't take any side space and they're invisible. This kind of arrangement should leave you some remaining space at the back of the theater for additional sound treatments in the corners etc.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Mine is 10 1/2by 18 I have a 92 inch screen it seems to work ok. I have 2 rows of seating which really can fit about 6-7 comfortable but I have had 12 in there before. I was on the fence for a long time if it was even worth it with the room being so narrow but I am glad I did it. Yeah you make some sacrifices with the space but there is plenty of things you can to make it work.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I win! Mine is only going to be 8'9" x 18'. I will be using my existing 92" screen recessed into a false wall design with speakers on the side and the centre channel above. By measurements, I have 1/2" to spare! LOL

·
Registered
419 Posts
Ummm, no, I win!

100" inches wide at the screen, 8 feet even at the seating area. I'm in the process of building an 84" wide (96" diagonal 16:9) screen with a modified false wall design. Because of other dimensional and budget constraints, I was unable to use an AT screen, so all three LCR speakers are mounted directly underneath the screen, behind GOM.

The advantage of this layout is the ability to use the entire width of the room for screen, although the reality is that my ceiling is so LOW that I actually ran out of room vertically (screen plus speakers beneath at a reasonable height placing the tweeters near ear level when seated) BEFORE I ran out of width!

But because you have over 20' of length, in this case, I'd totally go with speakers behind the screen and a false wall several feet out, which will have the added benefit of shortening the room visually and making it seem less narrow.

As for seating, I'm building out the room first and then deciding. The space is so narrow, I'd like to experiment with some temporary furnishings before committing to anything.

·
Registered
283 Posts
If your budget allows an AT screen it's probably the best way to go. You'll be able to get your tweeters all lined up across the front and at ear level. My room will be 10' 6" when it's finished and an AT screen isn't really in the budget so I'll be going with bookshelves under the screen or Def Tech Mythos alongside of a 110" screen. With a little wall treatment the Mythos should be acceptable to me and they're dead sexy when the lights are on. My room will be about 24' long with an equipment closet taking up a couple feet at the back, primary seating about 14' and second row seating will actually be a treadmill and an exercize bike.

·
Registered
9,510 Posts
I am far enough along in my narrow build to say a narrow room can work nicely if one is realistic in expectations. My biggest (and toughest) compromise to accept, was two rows of two wide seating. Finalising on two condo sized, low backed leather loveseats and redoing the HVAC to make for a much smaller profile soffit were two key elements to making the room work.

I know exactly what snowkarver means, when says he ran out of height before width. An AT screen will allow you a bigger screen, plus avoid your speakers buried in the front corners, or in other boundry locations. It'd be money well spent. Or perhaps you can find yourself some unused SMX screen material.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts