AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here is what I have come up with. Anyone with prior experience please give all the insight you have. The following systems are in place and are running neck and neck. AXIOM: M60's / QS8's / VP150 ( 1620)

ROCKETS : RS550 / RSC200 / RS300 (1799) (1718 "B" stk)

ROCKETS : RS750 / RSC200 / RS550 (1919 "B" stk)

Any thoughts much sppreciated. Yamaha RX V 2400 arriving any day.:confused:

( ) = PRICING

·
Registered
663 Posts
if i was spending your money, and already had a sub, i'd get the $1900 rocket system.

if i didn't have a sub, i'd get the axiom and a $400 sub, or better yet a $1k sub and the rest on speakers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
or better yet a $1k sub and the rest on speakers
No, I do not have a sub. That would be the last piece.

As far as the above statement, I never understood that. I was always under the impression that what you spend on speakers is what you get.

Example, spend 5,000 on a receiver, 50.00 on speakers and your 5,000 receivers now sound like a 2.00 radio.

As far as top loading on a sub, I like bass, but not that I would want to be overpowered.

If that would bring about anything like I have heard w/ auto sound, I think that sounds horrible.

When all you hear is heavy thumping, and you cannot discern any other sounds how can that be good.

Maybe it's just me, but that is not my particular style.

I like a solid bass, one you can feel, esp w/ movies, but not to be sidetracked from anything else going on. At least from a music standpoint.

Your point would be well taken if only movies were a choice. My system is prob 50/50 use.:confused:

Thanks for the opinion though, I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think I would have to go with the Axiom's. I have that same set up and it sounds absolutely fantastic. I cant imagine speakers sounding much more better, not to mention you saving $300 and getting A stock goods.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
av123 has a new deal on a rocket 550 system with 2 subs and a receiver. u should check it out
went there, did not see that one!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Go to the top of the page and go into "community" then go under "AV123 Forum", then Loudspeakers and subwoofers, its the fourth topic down.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I decided to go with that exact same Axiom setup. They seemed like the best bang for the buck. I had the luxury of auditioning some locally from someone who had them, and was able to compare them to Paradigm Studio series I was thinking of. The Axioms didn't sound any better than the Paradigms but didn't sound worse either. Just a bit different. By far a better value.

mikebaby

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mike, what receiver are you using, and what sub?

Jon, yeah I found that thread. Little too steep for me, though nice.

I already have a receiver in the Yamaha RX-V2400. which has yet to arrive.

This is all quite confusing, and although a matter of personal taste, good to get ideas.

Thanks all!!:(

·
Registered
483 Posts
Thumbs up for the Axiom package. I too have that same package (with added M2i's for 7.1) It's a truly incredible bargain.

Having said that...have you heard any of these packages? It seems odd that you've narrowed your choices down to Axiom or Rocket. I'm guessing you haven't heard them both. They couldn't sound more different.

Before you listen to what anyone tells you on a message board, you've got to hear a pair of Axioms and a pair of Rockets for yourself.

Axiom has many owners who are willing to offer in home demos. (In fact I had someone over just this past Monday). I'm sure there are many Rocket owners who would do the same.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mike what was the total cost your end. Are my figures correct?

·
Registered
529 Posts
I got the Rocket package #3 (your 2nd pick) and added an SVS 20-39 PC+ sub (525 W) which I tuned to 16 Hz. It's mostly for HT, but music sounds great as well. total cost about $2600 or so. I am extremely happy with those choices. YMMV.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah Spiff. read your posts on the Axiom forum. I inquired as to the Rockets over there. Actually what I'm looking for cannot fall into one easy criteria. Looks/sound/affordability/quality.

Though i have read that Axiom seems to garner all the aspects I'm looking for.

That's why when I read the Rockets and Divas/Swans i get confused.

Personal taste is one thing, but credible references are important too, that's why I appreciate all that has been corresponded to me.

Can I utilze the Axiom setup for a period w/o the use of a sub?

Will I miss much interms of appreciation.

I would like to save up for an SVS. My budget allows for a 25-31 PCi down the road.

Or would an HSU TN-1220HO

be better.

Which ever I use, the receiver is going to power the sub, I can't get into seperate power for Subs right now. Cost is a factor

;)

·
Registered
483 Posts
The M60's can produce impressive bass on their own. Nothing in the realms of what you'll get from a sub, but you can certainly get by in the interim until you order a sub. During one of the demo's I did at home, the prospective buyer asked me more than once if I had my sub turned on. (it was off).

You'll be more than happy with either a SVS or a Hsu subwoofer. You simply can't go wrong with either.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As far as powered/non powered subs. What is the difference.

Can I simply utilize one that is powered by the receiver?

Are you familiar with either mentioned?[
Quote:
I would like to save up for an SVS. My budget allows for a 25-31 PCi down the road.
Quote:
Or would an HSU TN-1220HO
I guess I would prefer the cylinder, easier to hide, or is there a diff with the boxes?:confused:

·
Registered
483 Posts
I may be mistaken, but I think you'll need to buy a powered sub, or buy a separate amp for it. I don't think you can hook up a non-powered sub to your receiver.

As far as the difference between cylinder subs vs box subs, I have generally heard that box subs are usually tighter sounding, but cylinders and go lower and produce more spls. That a generalization, but seems to be a fairly common response.

What sub you buy should be based mostly on room size, and just how low and loud you like things to get.

Personally I'd buy a Hsu STF-3. It should be able to handle pretty much anything you throw at it.* Movies or music - and it's price CAN'T be beat.

* based on the historical performance of the VTF-3.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
I have Rocket Pkg #0 (750/200/550) and love it. If you care about MC music and have the space, get the 550s for rears as this is a no compromise pacakge. If you are not into MC music, get the other package and save even more. The $1900 price is a great value, I paid about $500 more for mine (A stock) a year ago. I have heard the Rocket B stocks are very good and you may not even find a blem as it could have just been a customer return or a demo show package with little or no wear and tear.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I again can't stress enough to listen to some Rockets and Axioms before you make your decision. It sounds like you've done a good job of researching, and you've got your finally choice down to two companies. It's time to listen to them, and make your final decision. Don't make that final decision without hearing them first.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.