AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to purchase my sub(s) and have narrowed it down to these, based mostly on size and price.

ED A3S-250

ED A5S-300

SVS SB12-NSD

Rhythmik F12 w/A300 amp

Based on the following criteria, does one of these jump out as a better fit? Have I missed other contenders?

Budget-$700-$1000

Size Reqts-18 1/2" depth max, preferably smaller

Room Size-2400 cubic feet (12.75'x18.5'x10')

Primary Use-Home Theater-80%, Music-20%

Listening Habits-I don't listen to movies or music extremely loud, but like a nice, clean bass.

Would I benefit from two subs? My room isn't very large, but I've heard that having two helps smooth out the bass and improves sound quality. I could probably get (2) of the ED subs for my budget.

Appreciate the feedback.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
Of course,two subs will be better than one, as far as output goes, plus the other advantages that you mentioned. To be honest, none of those subs will have an enormous amount of output on their own, although I think one sealed 12" would do fine for a room like that as long as your aren't expecting earth shattering bass. If it were me, I would go for two A5s-300's.

You could also do two Hsu STF2 's, which are renowned smallish subs for their sound quality, even though they are not sealed. They fit your size limitations just barely, and they are on sale currently.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I vote for the Rythmik, because I bought one too. But have not yet received it. Seemed from other comments it had cleaner bass than the others. It really came down to the F12, As-500 or a used SVS SB12. Since I really wanted new I went with the Ryhtmik. I think there will be enough output to make me happy and it's got a nice flat response curve down to about 20hz.

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Any of those will do well.

The Rythmik will have the best SQ of the bunch.

It's a smaller room, but if you like things 'extremely loud' than you might need more than one. Everyone's definition of loud is different.

I prefer sealed subs, but they are not nearly as efficient.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wasn't intentionally looking for sealed subs, but my size constraints seemed to yield more sealed options. The depth is my limiting factor as the sub is going behind my screen wall and I don't have a ton of room.

If I do find a ported option that fits my depth criteria, I'm assuming I should avoid a rear port, since the sub will be right up against my front wall. Or could I turn the sub sideways so a rear port is at the side?

I was leaning towards 2 A5S-300's, but will look a little closer at the Rythmik and the HSU. Anyone have experience with the SVS cylinders (PC12-NSD)? Looks like it fires down with top ports. Would this be an option?

·
Registered
1,706 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman /forum/post/18177746

I wasn't intentionally looking for sealed subs, but my size constraints seemed to yield more sealed options. The depth is my limiting factor as the sub is going behind my screen wall and I don't have a ton of room.

If I do find a ported option that fits my depth criteria, I'm assuming I should avoid a rear port, since the sub will be right up against my front wall. Or could I turn the sub sideways so a rear port is at the side?

I was leaning towards 2 A5S-300's, but will look a little closer at the Rythmik and the HSU. Anyone have experience with the SVS cylinders (PC12-NSD)? Looks like it fires down with top ports. Would this be an option?

Doing your research is worth your time in selecting the right sub, so be patient. I totally agree that a ported sub may be better for a primarily HT application within your budget.

You probably already know this, but there is no acoustical reason to have the sub positioned in the front of the room....or behind your screen. I would first REALLY look at alternate placement options where you can potentially squeeze in a larger dimension sub. I say this, because you can get more output for the $$ without having such tight sub size restrictions.

You are on to something in recognizing that you don't have to face the driver into the room, and can potentially get a sub that is 18.5" in max WIDTH....as opposed to depth. That opens up a whole new world of possibilities as a 18.5" width is much less restricting than an 18.5" depth.

·
Registered
8,496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman /forum/post/18177746

Yes, I have experience with 2 SVS cylinder subs. The PC-12 NSD will perform almost exactly like the PB-12 NSD, which means greater overall output and solid response to at least 20 Hz. Very reliable, excellent Customer Service.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/18178308

Yes, I have experience with an SVS cylinder sub. The PC-12 NSD will perform almost exactly like the PB-12 NSD, which means greater overall output and solid response to at least 20 Hz. Very reliable, excellent Customer Service.

+1 for SVS cylinders as well. I've had 4 of em over the years, all of em cylinders.

I haven't had much exposure to other ID companies out there other than SVS, so recently with my desire to add another sub to my mix I've been researching other companies to see what else I might go with. But you can't go wrong with SVS overall.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Another option is the Epik Empire.It will fit,If you turn it sideways.If you have the space for the width by it being turned sideways.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
What, no HSU?

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshKo /forum/post/18177851

I think spaceman would be much better off excluding the MFW.

Thanks JoshKo for the heads up. I don't think I want to take my chances with the reliability problems.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnatalli /forum/post/18181864

What, no HSU?

Actually I added the Hsu VTF3-MK3 to the short list last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwj81 /forum/post/18181757

Another option is the Epik Empire.It will fit,If you turn it sideways.If you have the space for the width by it being turned sideways.

Yes, I started looking at Epic last night after reading good reviews for the Sentinel. However, it looks like all of the Epics except the Empire are either discontinued or out of stock. Seems like Epik might be making some serious changes to their sub lineup. I could fit the Empire if I turn it sideways. However, that would put one of the side firing drivers right against the wall. Should this be a concern, since bass is not as directional?

Realizing now that I can turn the sub sideways has opened up many more options (not sure that's a good thing).

EDIT: Forgot to mention I also added the Outlaw LFM-1 Plus and EX to the list, so at the moment, I'm looking at:

1. ED A3-300, A5S-300

2. SVS SB12-NSD, PB12-NSD, PC12-NSD

3. Hsu VTF3-MK3

4. Rhythmik F12

5. Outlaw LFM-1 Plus, LFM-1 EX

6. Epic Empire

I need to go back and see what was ruled out due to depth but might work if turned sideways. Like speakers and receivers, way too many choices.......

1 - 18 of 18 Posts