AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mitsubishi WD73733 (73" Rear Projection)- $2413

Mitsubishi HC4900 (1080p Front Projection)- $1399 after rebate.

I'd like to just plug and play. That's why I'm shying away from the front projection a bit. I'll have to deal with the lighting a bit and worry about mounting and calibration..ect. If the pic quality is really THAT good. I will run with it, but the 73" in person looks like a monster and seems to have pretty good quality all around.

I'd like to hear from you guys. Maybe owners of both at some time. Any opinions are welcome. Thanks again.

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
Front projection takes far more effort on your part to get the picture looking good. If you don't want to put forth the effort, then get the 73".
In my experience Mits RPs are always good all around TVs.

·
Banned
2,801 Posts
Front projection is definitely more effort but when you're playing on a 110"+ screen you'll find it's absolutely worth it. If you still don't want to then go for the 73", bigger is always better and like darklord said Mits makes some fine projection TVs.

·
Registered
111 Posts
id stay away from rear projection, all manufacturers have either stopped making them, or have plans to

front projection is awesome, if you got the proper room for it

·
Banned
2,801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelusmarvcus /forum/post/12944333

id stay away from rear projection, all manufacturers have either stopped making them, or have plans to

Who cares if the manufacturers stop making them? Unless that means they're also gonna do away with making the bulbs for them as well then a great TV is a great TV.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
if this is main tv - rearproj

if 2nd tv or the weekend tv,fp

fp is better,but u can't leave it on all day

go a little smaller, get lcd,dlp,plasma. i love my 115" fp,but u need to take care of it....and the screen

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 /forum/post/12946746

if this is main tv - rearproj

if 2nd tv or the weekend tv,fp

fp is better,but u can't leave it on all day

go a little smaller, get lcd,dlp,plasma. i love my 115" fp,but u need to take care of it....and the screen

Thanks man. I think I might have to go with the 65" instead. Last night my 360 died. DVD wasn't reading any games. Had to gut it out and manually spin the disc to get it to start. I have it working but it's just rigged and annoying. I have an older 360, so I don't believe 1080p runs properly over componet anyways, so I'll have to get a new HDMI 360. This will basically be my main TV. I plan on making my 55" my secondary TV.

I've basically decided that another 8 inches isn't worth $1000. I can use that for a new 360.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
I wouldn't buy a Mitsubishi. Too many issues with getting parts later on. And frankly, too many issues with NEEDING parts later on. Yes, I did own an older Mitsubishi DLP. I had no issues with it. But in the past month or so, people have been getting more issues, and parts aren't available.

Mitsu lamps last for ~4000 hours, too. The Sony lamps have an 8000 hour rating

Personally, I'd go with the Sony KDS-60A3000. In fact, I did. Possibly the best RPTV made. Absolutely gorgeous. I bought mine for $1665 at Circuit City. You can't get it there for that cheap now, but it is still a bargain.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape /forum/post/12947372

I wouldn't buy a Mitsubishi. Too many issues with getting parts later on. And frankly, too many issues with NEEDING parts later on. Yes, I did own an older Mitsubishi DLP. I had no issues with it. But in the past month or so, people have been getting more issues, and parts aren't available.

Mitsu lamps last for ~4000 hours, too. The Sony lamps have an 8000 hour rating

Personally, I'd go with the Sony KDS-60A3000. In fact, I did. Possibly the best RPTV made. Absolutely gorgeous. I bought mine for $1665 at Circuit City. You can't get it there for that cheap now, but it is still a bargain.

I work at CC and right now it is going for $1999. Picking it up next month but at discount of course

·
Registered
4,335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga /forum/post/12947417

I work at CC and right now it is going for $1999. Picking it up next month but at discount of course

When I got it, it was $1850, and I had a 10% off AAA coupon I used, making it $1665. You can still get an 8% off coupon that you can use any time at www.aaa.com/circuitcity .

Hey, how good are the employee deals on these things?
I've always wondered. Not that I'm going to quit my job.

·
Banned
2,801 Posts
Wow, completely forgot about Sony's SXRDs. Yea go for one of those, amazing TVs and the only thing that can compete with a Pioneer Kuro IMO.

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
the sxrd's suck with 1080i material.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd /forum/post/12947653

There is a firmware update to address the 1080i issue in the 2 modes that were affected by the incorrect setting. If you stay in the standard picture mode, there is no issue. If you get the firmware update, there is no issue.

·
Registered
9,280 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shape /forum/post/12947667

There is a firmware update to address the 1080i issue in the 2 modes that were affected by the incorrect setting. If you stay in the standard picture mode, there is no issue. If you get the firmware update, there is no issue.

hmm, i'll have to look into this, at one point i wanted the 55 or 60", but had ruled it out due to the 1080i performance.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd /forum/post/12947770

hmm, i'll have to look into this, at one point i wanted the 55 or 60", but had ruled it out due to the 1080i performance.

Here is a post that shows the before and after test patterns when he did the firmware upgrade:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...n#post12814214

I've always used the standard picture mode, which is the best one, so it has never affected me.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Stay far far far away from anythings Mitsubshi, they are a pure crap company npw. I bought a WD-57731 about a year and a half ago and the damn thing has gone dead for the third time due to bad lamps, and now Mits refuses to do anthing about the issue at all and blames it on me even though this is a well documented issue with their HDTVS and they have a class action suit getting started against them. I have already bought one lamp this year and now they are saying I need to purchase another one because even though the lamp itself was covered under a one year warrenty, my TV wasn't, if that makes any sense. I cannot drop $600 a year on replacement lamps, especially when they should be lasting a year and a half at least. I just threw that piece of crap in storage and purchased a Insignia 1080p LCD as a place holder till the new HDTVs come out this summer. Worst thing is that the Insignia I bought as a place holder, makes a better TV than the Mits did, I kid you not, its PQ is light years beyond the Mits which for one could not get the contrast right with 1080p images, was very soft, and just didn't give that amazing HD image you see on some HDTVs. The Insignia in comprasion is much brighter, does 1080p corectly, gives a more detailed and sharper image, and has given me images that just blow the Mits PQ away. Stay away from Mitsubshi.

·
Registered
8,077 Posts

Quote:

Don't give advice because you have no clue. my sig says it all buddy

·
Registered
206 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by formulanerd /forum/post/12947653

Do you really think so? Why would you say that?

I have two of the Sony SXRD's and think that they are awesome tv's. I have a 60 XBR2, and the 50A3000. I would highly recommend the sony sxrd's.

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
"I cannot drop $600 a year on replacement lamps, especially when they should be lasting a year and a half at least."

While the rest of this gentleman's post is obviously the result of a very frusterated consumer, he does have this one very good point. Personally, I have never understood buying a lamp-based RPTV. By the time it's useful life is over, you will have spent as much in new light bulbs as it would have originally cost you to just buy a plasma in the first place. Just my opinion, but it is a point to consider.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts