AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on getting a HDTV, and have been doing a ton of research the past few weeks (the gf made a comment today she wished she was a HDTV so she would get that kind of attention for weeks on end ). I am going to be using it mainly to watch movies/tv shows off my HTPC/server and then on occasion some gaming maybe (my gaming rig can run 1080p+ res). I have narrowed it down to 4 models all 46-50 inch: Sony XBR4/5 (46 inch), Sammy 71 series (46 inch), Sharp Aquos (46 inch), or the Pioneer Kuro (50 inch).

Currently I have it ranked as:

Sony KDL-46XBR5

Pioneer Kuro 5080

Sharp LC-46D64U

Sammy LN-T4671

I like the sammy picture the most, however the glossy screen I am worried won't work in the living room as I have windows behind the couch and on the side (they have curtains but even so, there can be a decent amount of light that gets in). The Sony I like the best as far as non-glossy screens, however is much more expensive then the other three. The Pioneer Kuro is nice, but the issue is that its only 720p and being hooked up to a PC I am a bit worried about the res (I have a Dell 2407 running at 1920x1280 i.e. basically 1080p). Finally the Sharp I have yet to see in person, but it seems from price/specs that it will be what I end up getting (I also enjoy how thin the panel is). I wont put prices in here, however for reference the Sharp is least, followed by Kuro, Sammy, and Sony in that order (and the Sony is about $1300 more then the Sharp).

I am having problems figuring out which I will get because each has a big issue with it preventing me from settling on one. Since this is my first HDTV purchase I am not sure if I am worring about things that wont even matter (like 720p vs 1080p, which the only reason I care is for PC useage so you WILL notice the difference). Any thoughts/suggestions would be helpful.

PS. I have done extensive searching on these (and other) forums and review sites, before I get told to do searches (I have done numerous for each model).

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Personally I would put the Kuro 5080HD at the top of the list and the rest in random order waaaay down below. Of course I am a self admitted plasma fanboi.
I see you plan to hook up a pc so yes I agree that 1080p is essential...however I know little or nothing about the lcd's you listed so I'll let others comment.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I cannot recommend the 1080p Kuro the price tag is way over hyped. If the price was competitive sure but the xbr4 for the price is a better deal IMO

·
Registered
613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklacker /forum/post/12848751

I cannot recommend the 1080p Kuro the price tag is way over hyped. If the price was competitive sure but the xbr4 for the price is a better deal IMO

5080 is 720p (technically 768p)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blklacker /forum/post/12848751

The Kuro I am referring to is 720p, the rest are 1080p. I could not spend $4000+ on a TV, so its the 720p Kuro or an LCD.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Have you taken a look at the 1080p Panasonics? those are pretty good plasmas. But from your list I would choose the Pioneer. In my opinion, even the best LCDs cannot compete with the Pioneer and Panasonic plasmas in picture quality.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Pioneer Kuro 5080 but if light is a real problem then the XBR4 may be better for you. How far are you setting from the TV?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucent /forum/post/12849727

Have you taken a look at the 1080p Panasonics? those are pretty good plasmas. But from your list I would choose the Pioneer. In my opinion, even the best LCDs cannot compete with the Pioneer and Panasonic plasmas in picture quality.

No I have not, however I will look at them tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tower101 /forum/post/12850042

Pioneer Kuro 5080 but if light is a real problem then the XBR4 may be better for you. How far are you setting from the TV?

Light is not a huge issue, however my living room and kitchen have 1/2 height walls to divide the two, and the HDTV will be setup so I can view it from the kitchen if I want. That being said I can control the light somewhat, but if I am cooking (fairly often) or might be on my PC while watching tv with room lights on. So while I can control the "natural light" in the room, the lighting fixtures in the room will cast light in the room.

I will be sitting between 8 and 9 ft away (depending on the seat, but the primary seat is 8.7 feet away)

·
Registered
1,163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by [BD]Virus /forum/post/12850372

I will be sitting between 8 and 9 ft away (depending on the seat, but the primary seat is 8.7 inches away)

Wow 8.7 inches that's close

I would say the 5080 or the XBR (I would lean the 5080 way) but you might want to look at the 50PZ77u and the 50PZ700u.

The 77u has a matte type screen that does well with reflections and may be worth the compromise, as some say it does not have the depth of the 5080 or the 700. I own a 50PZ77u and I agree with that but for my viewing the anti-glare was worth the trade off.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I just tried the PS3 on a 5080 last night in HDMI PC mode at 1920x1080 60HZ. So I'm guessing that TV takes 1920x1080 if you sent it over DVI-HDMI cable. It looked pretty good on the TV I thought. But I don't have a PC that I can test this out on to let you know the honest truth of how it looks.

I have tried 1360x768 over VGA and it was OK, but still a lot of noise. but in saying that, I tried 1920x1080 on my mates latest XBR here and apart from the bigger desktop, the picture was still full of noise. If the kuro can 1:1 scale 1920x1080 pretty bloody good with PS3 I would hope it could with a PC. But I can't confirm that for you.

I would go with the Kuro, that's what I ended up doing and I do a lot of gaming, watching HD movies and I am planning on build a beast of a box and getting a DVI-HDMI converter for it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Text will be very rare, just enough text to get me to where I need to be to find files, and maybe some very rare internet surfing. Text will rarely be displayed (unless its subtitled as I sometimes do watch anime), so that is not a big deal to me if it can display text well. I care much more about the PQ, followed by how it looks for gaming, followed by some use as a PC monitor for watching movies/video.

I went to BB last night and spent a good 2 hours looking at the 4 models, and kept coming back to the Kuro. The Sony looks pretty good, but the bezel is just too big for my tastes, makes the TV look smaller, and the price is too high. The Panny has an amazing PQ, but the gloss screen just wont work for me. When I could clearly see reflections of me, and the store in the monitor screen on really dark screens all the way up to bright snow type scenes. I love the colors and such, but I can't do the gloss screen. The Sharp was okay but nothing special, and was kind of washed out with saturation. The Kuro looked the best, but was a bit dark compared to LCD's that have brightness all the way up. But colors were spot on. In a darker setting (not a show floor with LCD's super bright right next to it), like my house, I think that it will look the best.

I just keep coming back to the 720p being an issue with the Kuro.

·
Registered
6,294 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by [BD]Virus /forum/post/12854671

I just keep coming back to the 720p being an issue with the Kuro.

IMO your a plasma person or not. I owned plasma before LCD and if you go plasma the only one to consider is Pioneer. Don't waste your time with any other plasma.

I also can't get past the darkness (dimness) of the Pio 5080 or I would have one by now. If you own an HDTV now I would recommend holding out for 6 months and see whats on the horizon.

If this is your first HDTV get the XBR now. IMO the best out there at the moment.

720P at 8' will work just fine BTW.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I think maybe I can shed some light on this. I was in a very similar situation. In the end I chose the Pioneer 5080. Why?

- It has the best PQ by far, very natural looking, and I can't get over the inky blacks.

- HD videos look insanely good. Very smooth.

- it handles SD quite well on some feeds, so that keeps my wife happy. Personally I think SD on a 50" set leaves a lot to be desired.

- video games (console) look incredible.

As for the PC connection, I struggled with this big time. I wanted the ultimate Home Theatre but how much PQ was I willing to sacrifice to see a PC desktop in 50"?

Right now I sam still working with settings and feeding the Pioneer 1366x768 via HDMI from my laptop (Asus G1S-A1) personally the desktop leaves a lot to be desired. I why like to try and feed it 1920 x 1080 but for some reason my laptop only does max 1600 x 1050 so very annoying. With all that being said when I eventually do hook my HTPC using some media browser I am sure it will be more than adequate. Playing HD videos through my PC looked awesome though no question.

Personally our laptop is only about 10 feet away, and is used for all of our day to day browsing like checking email, the weather, movie listing etc. So in the end I decided I wanted the best possible picture for television/movies/console games and other than the 5010, I think the 5080 takes that cake easily.

If you plan to sit on your couch with a wireless keyboard and search websites regularly and read articles on CNN you will be disappointed.

Hope this help a little.

Cheers,

Detox

·
Registered
230 Posts

I also can't get past the darkness (dimness) of the Pio 5080 or I would have one by now. If you own an HDTV now I would recommend holding out for 6 months and see whats on the horizon.

QUOTE]

I researched my new TV for about 6 months before recently pulling the trigger. I was worried to death about "dimness" seeing as I read it on so many threads. I also read "don't worry, wait till you get it home, it will more than bright enough"

Well, I can honestly say, thank god I don't have an LCD set in my living room, I think I would be blind. I was drawn to the LCD sets in the store no question and I am sure their brightness has it's place in big bright rooms, but in my average lit living room it would be fat to over powering.

My Pioneer is not even remotely close to dim at home.

Cheers,

Detox

·
Banned
739 Posts
I personally would NOT buy a TV unless it was 1080P. My first choice then would be the XBR5. I personally own the 52" XBR5, and I am in LOVE with my TV. NO ghosting, no smearing, no motion blur. Picture is amazing and U can easily turn down the brightness if need be. If you read reviews on the 720 Kuro an the XBR4/5, they say the blacks are nearly as good. Now, if you were thinking about the Kuro 1080p, then the decision becomes a lot more difficult. It's a personal preference. As far as price is concerned, You can always get the Sony to come WAY down in price. When I bought MY 52" XBR5, the price was 4799.00 and I got it for almost 2000.00 less!!! Do your research and NEVER pay full price!

BLT

·
Registered
145 Posts

Quote:

The Sony looks pretty good, but the bezel is just too big for my tastes, makes the TV look smaller, and the price is too high.

Ever think of downgrading your choice to the Sony W Series?

Granted, you lose motionflow, but for less than the 46XBR4/5, some users here went with the 52W3000 [over the 46XBR] with no regrets.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts

Quote:

The Panny has an amazing PQ, but the gloss screen just wont work for me. When I could clearly see reflections of me, and the store in the monitor screen on really dark screens all the way up to bright snow type scenes. I love the colors and such, but I can't do the gloss screen.

Check out the Panny PZ77u all most no reflections

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well after doing lots of research and time spent looking at displays I have decided I think I will buy the Pioneer Kuro, but am torn between the 5080 and 5010. The price difference is about $1300 and with that I could get a respectable audio system, and new couch (mine sucks and was one of those given to me by family ones so its old). I know however this TV will have to last me at least 5+ years (but most likely more like 10), and don't want to regret not getting the 1080p version. So do I drop the extra money on the 5010, or spend that money on other things that would end up giving me a better "viewing experience"?

I am leaning towards the 5080 and spending the difference on other things related to the HDTV.

·
Registered
230 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by [BD]Virus /forum/post/12887117

Well after doing lots of research and time spent looking at displays I have decided I think I will buy the Pioneer Kuro, but am torn between the 5080 and 5010. The price difference is about $1300 and with that I could get a respectable audio system, and new couch (mine sucks and was one of those given to me by family ones so its old). I know however this TV will have to last me at least 5+ years (but most likely more like 10), and don't want to regret not getting the 1080p version. So do I drop the extra money on the 5010, or spend that money on other things that would end up giving me a better "viewing experience"?

I am leaning towards the 5080 and spending the difference on other things related to the HDTV.

If you don't plan to use your new set as a computer monitor most of the time, get the 5080hd, save the cash and get something to compliment your system.

You will NOT be dissapointed with the PQ of your Pioneer 5080HD. Trust me.

Cheers,

Detox

·
Registered
55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by [BD]Virus /forum/post/12847740

Currently I have it ranked as:

Sony KDL-46XBR5

Pioneer Kuro 5080

Sharp LC-46D64U

Sammy LN-T4671

I like the sammy picture the most, however the glossy screen I am worried won't work in the living room as I have windows behind the couch and on the side

OK, if the glossy screen is the only thing about the Samsung LN-T4671 you don't like, then you should instead consider the Samsung LN-T4669 which is basically the same except with a non-glossy matte screen and speaker below instead of on the sides.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts