AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Benq W500 or Optoma HD70.

Each is available locally. The HD70 includes a 92" screen...the W500 is $100 cheaper. Both under 1K.

The W500 seems to be the better projector (HQV processing, lens shift) but the HD70 + screen is the better deal (by a $100).

Trying to determine if the bonus screen and advantages of DLP are worth the extra cash.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klover /forum/post/12884947

Benq W500 or Optoma HD70.

Each is available locally. The HD70 includes a 92" screen...the W500 is $100 cheaper. Both under 1K.

The W500 seems to be the better projector (HQV processing, lens shift) but the HD70 + screen is the better deal (by a $100).

Trying to determine if the bonus screen and advantages of DLP are worth the extra cash.

Any ideas?

im pretty much in the same boat as you. these 2 plus the marantz vp4001 are what i narrowed it down to. i have a 1080p LCD and like the image. i know projectors are different and many people say DLP will give better colors and less SDE at 100 inches. its just so hard to choose. im wanting the best for blu-ray and gaming.

·
Registered
437 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartwel /forum/post/12885364

im pretty much in the same boat as you. these 2 plus the marantz vp4001 are what i narrowed it down to. i have a 1080p LCD and like the image. i know projectors are different and many people say DLP will give better colors and less SDE at 100 inches. its just so hard to choose. im wanting the best for blu-ray and gaming.

Let me get this straight, you have a choice between two low-end projectors and the MUCH higher-end Marantz and you're having a problem deciding?!? Please let me know where you are finding the Marantz for the same price as the Optoma and BenQ please!

For the OP -- If the Optoma fits your room, it is the better projector. I would also look at the Mits HC1500 as well...it can be had for only a little more and it is a better projector. If you penny pinch a little more than that, the Infocus SP7210 is a steal at its current sub $1K price.

·
Registered
331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithfromCanada /forum/post/12885569

Let me get this straight, you have a choice between two low-end projectors and the MUCH higher-end Marantz and you're having a problem deciding?!? Please let me know where you are finding the Marantz for the same price as the Optoma and BenQ please!

For the OP -- If the Optoma fits your room, it is the better projector. I would also look at the Mits HC1500 as well...it can be had for only a little more and it is a better projector. If you penny pinch a little more than that, the Infocus SP7210 is a steal at its current sub $1K price.

if i showed you where i was getting the marantz then it would likely be gone. from all the reviews it seems it was in the same realm as the others. i guess not? obviously i do not know much about projectors at this point but maybe i should just get the marantz before my luck runs out...............its not brand new of course but that doesnt mean anything to me. granted, it still is a little more expensive but not that much.

·
Registered
437 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartwel /forum/post/12885654

if i showed you where i was getting the marantz then it would likely be gone. from all the reviews it seems it was in the same realm as the others. i guess not? obviously i do not know much about projectors at this point but maybe i should just get the marantz before my luck runs out...............its not brand new of course but that doesnt mean anything to me. granted, it still is a little more expensive but not that much.

Whoa, whoa, whoa...let's not be so hasty. The other two might suit you just fine! Perhaps you should purchase the Optoma and tell me where you found this Marantz???

Seriously -- if the Marantz is in good shape, has low hours on the bulb and is from a respectable seller, it is by far the superior machine. The other two are good at their price-points but they were made for that price point. The Marantz (a re-do of the Sharp XV-Z3000 -- check out Projectorreviews.com for a comprehensive review) was made for a much higher price-point.

·
Registered
447 Posts
You don't buy a car because it comes with a free mountain bike... do you ?

why would you buy a projector just because it comes with a free screen ?

Chances are that screen is much worse than one you can make yourself for less than $50 and 5 hours of time.

With that said, my BenQ w500 is quite an awesome PJ, absolutly 100% plug and play, no hassle. Lense shift makes perfect PJ placement effortless, and hollywood video processing insures you have the absolute BEST image possible. its QUITE, AND the remote has this awesome illumination button that makes all the buttons GLOW so you can see them

If I had to do over again... I would have bought an Acer PH530, and waited till a GOOD 1080P comes down to the price of the hc4900 right now...

other than that I couldn't be more happy !

·
Registered
447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypez604 /forum/post/12890962

I would wait even longer till nicer 1080p's get fairly priced

yeah... my thoughts exactly.

BUT if you really wana get in the PJ scene right away. Check out ebay. My brothers friend got a nice Sharp DLP 720p PJ (refurbished I belive)for like 300 bucks shipped, and its quite an impressive picture ! ....buy cheap and wait for a good 1080p

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by illnastyimpreza /forum/post/12888395

You don't buy a car because it comes with a free mountain bike... do you ?

why would you buy a projector just because it comes with a free screen ?

Chances are that screen is much worse than one you can make yourself for less than $50 and 5 hours of time.

With that said, my BenQ w500 is quite an awesome PJ, absolutly 100% plug and play, no hassle. Lense shift makes perfect PJ placement effortless, and hollywood video processing insures you have the absolute BEST image possible. its QUITE, AND the remote has this awesome illumination button that makes all the buttons GLOW so you can see them

If I had to do over again... I would have bought an Acer PH530, and waited till a GOOD 1080P comes down to the price of the hc4900 right now...

other than that I couldn't be more happy !

I've made three DIY, fixed-frame screens but a professional, portable grey surface screen is preferred in my apartment.

The Acer is widely unavailable in Canada and, when it can be found, is retailing higher than the HD70.

The HD640 (HD65) is also on my list as it just arrived at my favorite store for the same price as the HD70...

Great...more decisions.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ditto on the w500. Its not low end - just low price. I've got mine ceiling mounted with a Chief RPA and shooting to a 100" Focupix HdVio white electric screen. Three windows in the room, and as long as the sunlight isn't streaming in, its a really good picture. If you set it to 0 IRE, eco bulb, and fool with the CMS a little its even better. Even analog cable looks good with the Reon processor pushing everything to 720P. As good as that looks, though Planet Earth through my Tosh A-3 is another world entirely.

·
Registered
331 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithfromCanada /forum/post/12887187

Whoa, whoa, whoa...let's not be so hasty. The other two might suit you just fine! Perhaps you should purchase the Optoma and tell me where you found this Marantz???

Seriously -- if the Marantz is in good shape, has low hours on the bulb and is from a respectable seller, it is by far the superior machine. The other two are good at their price-points but they were made for that price point. The Marantz (a re-do of the Sharp XV-Z3000 -- check out Projectorreviews.com for a comprehensive review) was made for a much higher price-point.

thanks for your help man. i appreciate it.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just ordered the W500.

The HQV processor, cheap(er) bulbs, and the comfort of my favourite warehouse seller's return policy (at least for now) is what put it over the top.

Thanks all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts