AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! This is my first post to the forums after lurking for quite a while and doing research.
I'm actually going to be moving to HDTV from my current Sony 27" CRT and have managed to narrow my choices to either the Samsung PN42B450 plasma vs. the Toshiba 40RV525U LCD (40-42" is more than big enough for the room it's going in). Prices seem to be similar for both, so that's not an issue.

My main question is: which is better for my usage scenario? I'm planning on converting my PS3 into a MythTV frontend, with the source being OTA HD (with some games like Rock Band and various racing/FPS games thrown into the mix); currently I'm recording and playing back a few shows that are broadcast in HD, so hopefully there won't be too much 4:3 content from the air. I'll probably also need to plug the TV into a PC 5-10% of the time, as well as into a 5.1 stereo receiver without optical audio input (which is why I eliminated the Panasonic plasmas from consideration). I also imagine I'll start wanting to watch Blu-Ray as well, since I'll now have the technology to take advantage of it.

Anyways, thanks in advance!

·
Registered
472 Posts
Under those circumstances, I think that the B450 would probably be your best bet.

A few questions though, what is your viewing distance going to be, what is the light level like in the room, and will you be predominantly watching in the Day or Night?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idiotcanuck /forum/post/16934893

Under those circumstances, I think that the B450 would probably be your best bet.

A few questions though, what is your viewing distance going to be, what is the light level like in the room, and will you be predominantly watching in the Day or Night?

Couch is about 8-9' away from the current TV. I was actually concerned that 42" wasn't big enough based on some of the charts I've seen online, but I went to a retail place and was able to stand that distance back from a 40" TV (and it seemed fine to me). The TV will be about eye-level.

As for day/night, my viewing will be predominantly at night; there is a window right behind the TV and a sliding door-type deal to the left on the other side of the room, but we adjust the blinds if watching during the day anyway. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
362 Posts
If you are looking at the B450 I think I'd opt for the Panny 42X1, I think it's a little better in terms of IR. Not a real issue with either but the X1 is a little more immune. Plus, if you use the offsets from the Panny 12 G tread you get a stunning picture.

·
Registered
472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiw /forum/post/16934942

Couch is about 8-9' away from the current TV. I was actually concerned that 42" wasn't big enough based on some of the charts I've seen online, but I went to a retail place and was able to stand that distance back from a 40" TV (and it seemed fine to me). The TV will be about eye-level.

As for day/night, my viewing will be predominantly at night; there is a window right behind the TV and a sliding door-type deal to the left on the other side of the room, but we adjust the blinds if watching during the day anyway. Hope that helps!

If you can control the light level, watch more frequently at night, and considering your need for the analog audio outputs of the B450, I'd agree go with it over the LCD or the other 720p plasmas.

If you can swing it, a 50B450 may only be $200 more, and may give you a few more years of service before you get get an attack of biggeritis. Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
In general, LCDs are less problematic than plasmas with reflection of light on the screen. Sometimes lights aound windows reflect on the plasma tv screens and can be quite annoying; LCD panels tend to absorb rather than reflect light.

Another consideration is viewing angle. Plasmas look great off axis, LCDs lose contrast as you move away from the center. Plasmas typically have the deepest blacks. When I was shopping for tvs a while back, Samsung had a great reputation for their tvs, Toshiba was so-so with LCDs in comparison with Sony, Samsung, and Sharp.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I came back from work around 5:30pm and it was still light out. There was only a significant amount of glare on the CRT if I am sitting to the right of it, due to the sliding door/window on the left side of the room, and only because the blinds were completely open and pulled back. Looks like the PN42B450 will work here, but I'll buy in person and not online so I can return easily if necessary.

On that note, I did get a chance to look at the TC-P42X1 at a store, and the colors did seem different than the B450 next to it. I managed to get them to match pretty closely--or well, as close as possible without the service menu. If I had a 5.1 stereo that took optical audio, I'd definitely look into the Panasonic, if only for the slightly less chance of IR. It's actually tempting to buy a new stereo too--if only my current stereo wasn't less than a year old.

Anyways, thanks guys!

·
Registered
584 Posts
The X1 is too dim of a display. Everytime I walk into Best Buy or Target, I can easily pick the X1 out of the 30+ TVs on display... it's the dimmest on the wall.

That's probably why the colors of the 450 seem so much richer and have more "pop".

Glad to hear you're buying locally... returning or exchanging is so much easier that way.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Sorry, the X1 is not dim. I have a number of displays plasma and LCD and the X1 is no different than any of the others. Looking at a wall of displays in a store is not going to give you any idea how it will look in your home, do you have massive lights in your ceiling? Get real.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by zack8322 /forum/post/16941462

Sorry, the X1 is not dim. I have a number of displays plasma and LCD and the X1 is no different than any of the others. Looking at a wall of displays in a store is not going to give you any idea how it will look in your home, do you have massive lights in your ceiling? Get real.

When I looked at both of them in the store I made sure to set the brightness and contrast to the same level (~50 or so). This was at a Fry's with those warehouse-style dome lights instead of fluorescent tubes, so the inside lighting wasn't that bright. I forget what other settings I changed, but both pictures were almost the same brightness and colors were close enough that applying the service menu changes probably would have gotten the X1 to have the same colors as the Samsung.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
I notice the lack of brightness from plasma sets in any display setting. Even my local BB has dimmed the lights in the tv display area and you can just about pick out the plasmas on the wall due to the dull nature of the display, in comparison to lcd.

The issue is most evident in the whites. LCD whites are, well, "white hot" while plasma's whites are more grey in comparison.

You don't have to be ISF certified to see the difference. Just take your kids along with you and ask them which sets look best. Even snooty rich kids won't pick plasma.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Service menu changes... most buyers do not want to have to dig that deep to get a bight picture. That's like buying a new car with fouled spark plugs.

Even plasma owners admit that LCDs are brighter, and many have said that the lastest Panasonic plasmas (G10 and V10 I think) have "finally" gotten brighter, enabling them to fare much better in the very well lit viewing rooms. I'm sorry... the X1/C1 are dim displays... one of the reasons I think they can be offered at $599.

But I digress... OP... get the Sammy 450.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu /forum/post/16943733

The issue is most evident in the whites. LCD whites are, well, "white hot" while plasma's whites are more grey in comparison

Of course, blacks aren't so black on LCDs. Except, maybe the Samsung LED TVs--almost tempted to save for a bit and get that instead. (and the thinness is nothing to laugh about!)

It's all about what compromises you want to make.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.