AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I know I have been annoying with these Sub questions but here is my delema.

I have a HSU MBM-12 that I could keep or sell. If I keep it I can pair it with 2 PC12-nsb's from SVS.

If I sell it I can get the PB13 Ultra.

I am concerned with HT only.

What would you do?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I don't know much about the NSD but the Ultra is reportedly one of the best commercial subwoofers available.

I think if you get the NSD you'll always wonder.

My suggestion is keep the MBM and buy an Ultra. If you feel the MBM is no longer needed sell it. Otherwise just keep it.

I'm good at spending other people's money.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher /forum/post/15458405

Ok guys I know I have been annoying with these Sub questions but here is my delema.

I have a HSU MBM-12 that I could keep or sell. If I keep it I can pair it with 2 PC12-nsb's from SVS.

If I sell it I can get the PB13 Ultra.

I am concerned with HT only.

What would you do?

First, you have to determine if you NEED the MBM. Are you running tiny cube speakers or small bookshelves? If not, you shouldn't 'need' the MBM with a PB13. If you need something to fill from 80 to 150, then you may need the MBM.

·
Registered
651 Posts
The PB13 will outperform 2 PC12 NSD by a considerable margin. Even with the MBM for midbass, the PB13 is still more powerful than all 3 together during HT scenes, while sounding better and taking up less space.

Bottom line, get the PB13. Unless you have tiny speakers, you won't need your MBM. Buy the PB13 first, and pair it with the MBM, then decide to sell it or not.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have paradigm studio 60's, cc-570 and studio 20 rears...

How about the A7-700 from ED?

Selling the MBM has been hard eventhough it is perfect in box...

·
Registered
651 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher /forum/post/15458897

I have paradigm studio 60's, cc-570 and studio 20 rears...

How about the A7-700 from ED?

Selling the MBM has been hard eventhough it is perfect in box...

The eD will not sound as good as the PB13 in music. Also, there is a long wait time, it is huge, and it's ugly. HT should be very close.

One other thing to note is SVS's customer support. They have the world's best (I'm serious, hundreds of people here can support this statement) customer support. They usually answer emails in hours, sometimes minutes, 364 days a year (except Christmas Day) If you have a problem, SVS is guaranteed to solve it quickly.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah SVS has been very helpfull.

I am just being very cautious because personally I never liked the VTF3-MK3 from HSU so its hard to judge what is good.

I am worried about HT. Heavy explosions and bullet fire you can feel.

I am considering the PC13 Ultra or the PB13 Ultra if I can sell the MBM-12

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
what didn't you like about the 3.3 from HSU? the 3.3 is basically the competition to the 12NSD models from SVS.

if that's the case, go for the ultra.

btw, two NSD's will match the ultra in output, but not in low total harmonic distortion

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i am just trying to figure out if PC or PB ultra is better...

Damn MBM better sell...

The HSU bottomed out when pushed hard in mid bass.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher /forum/post/15459865

i am just trying to figure out if PC or PB ultra is better...

Damn MBM better sell...

The HSU bottomed out when pushed hard in mid bass.

The PB has nice finish options, takes more floor space, and is heavier. The PC comes in any color you want, as long as you want black, takes less floor space, and is a little lighter.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess i will ask SVS if there is any difference. Their graphs show the PB puts out 3 more DB just below 20hz but besides that they seem equal

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
normally, if you asked me, i would pick the cylinder due to it being a lot cheaper and eats up less floorspace. but the free shipping on the box has me flip flopping whether to pick the PC or PB myself (though leaning towards the box)

svs will tell you that the difference between the two are inaudible. i asked Ed M if i could use the PC with my PB's, he said it's ok to use the PC and PB together - that would mean that they're not different enough to cause problems usually associated with using different subs together.

dotted lines are PB

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
For HT only, you should add the consideration of the a7-350 or the updated a7-450 (which should become available soon). Both should at least match pb13 output, with a noticable advantage I would think, in case of the a7-450 with a beefier than 19ov.2 , conquest-like driver and 1300w amp. You can get them in a nice matte black finish for a small upcharge, with free shipping a7-350 will be 30% cheaper than ultra and the a7-450 will be about the same. The support is great, at least for people in the continental US.

Another alternative would be the a7s-450 or pair of them. Said to be similar to pb13 by an owner of both, in SQ and output, is currently offered in a free matte finish and with a free EQ. A pair of all of the above would cost you about $1700 shipped and would have output close to that of a7-900 iirc from what eD rep told me.

Apart from that I'd recommend the Castle at $1k but I'm not sure what's going on with Epik right now.

I'd personally choose any of the above over svs but of course you have to factor in that the only competition they have is themselves, according to themselves.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
You say you would choose anything and everything over any SVS sub and yet you have never even heard one. I know, you're only calling it like you see it, but you haven't seen anything.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac /forum/post/15460844

You say you would choose anything and everything over any SVS sub and yet you have never even heard one. I know, you're only calling it like you see it, but you haven't seen anything.

When did I say that? Svs seems like an AWSOME company, they have been VERY helpfull and I would definetly shoose them. I am just deciding which one... Maybe this was directed at the posted above. If so I am sorry for being so dumb.

I was also considering the A7-700 but am nervous to go with a company that has it roots in car audio over SVS.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher /forum/post/15462486

When did I say that? Svs seems like an AWSOME company, they have been VERY helpfull and I would definetly shoose them. I am just deciding which one... Maybe this was directed at the posted above. If so I am sorry for being so dumb.

I was also considering the A7-700 but am nervous to go with a company that has it roots in car audio over SVS.

Not you, the post above mine.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SVS has been more helpfull than I can explain.

I have emailed Jack over there no less than 10 times over 3 days and always get an answer.

I would give ED a shot but the wait combined with the HUGE cabinets they use make it hard to overlook the quality SVS has to offer.

The PC13 ultra would be easier in my room but the PB13 ultra just seems so cool haha

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I cant help myself... I keep looking at the a7-700.

2 x 15" woofers with a 1300w amp!?!?!?

Logically SVS seems like they would have better sound quality due to the braintrust and research they have but ED does have good reviews on sound quality...

·
Registered
26,476 Posts

Quote:

Not enough amp, IMO

I drive one TC2K 15" driver with that amp

eD is all about raw power, less about SQ. Remember eD is a car audio company first and isnt the best sub builders IMO (build problems, misleading specs)....SVS has been doing this for years and does it very, very well.

btw, I own eD products but Im also aware of their history but I like them for DIY not comercial products. If you want comercial go with SVS!!

·
Registered
4,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goonstopher /forum/post/15463492

I cant help myself... I keep looking at the a7-700.

Logically SVS seems like they would have better sound quality due to the brain trust and research they have but ED does have good reviews on sound quality...

I have an SVS PB12-Plus/2 (dual 12" driver, 950 watts) and I really like it. If I had to do this again, knowing what I know now, I would have opted for two single driver subs. Besides being a beast, if the amp fails (knock on wood), I am sub-less. With dual subs, I would at least have one. Though I would probably be so disappointed with a single after running duals, I would shut everything down until the second sub was fixed.

I think SVS has learned that, while dual driver subs are impressive looking, they are too expensive to build, ship, and place.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts