AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to narrow down on a 5.1 system that will be 60% music/40% HT (but voice clarity on DVDs is important). Budget $1000-1500, major WAF. Wall mounting in a 14x21' hardwood floored room with large openings, and TV is in the corner (avoiding doorway) so left front will be on the left wall. Receiver is of the pro-logic era, but that's the next problem/$$.

I've tried a number of systems, without thrill, so I'm looking at the online options, more or less in order:

Rocket ELTs --great price, tempted by receiver combo deal. (150's too big.)

Axiom Epic Midi-- good finishes. M2i probably OK, M3ti pushing size. Unported makes wall mount easier

Monitor Bronze-- (no dealers near, so it's "online") B1--small and attractive, but couldn't find review; B2s seem popular but push the size limit.

Ascend Series 2000-- Hsu sub a plus, getting "large", not pretty

For comparison, I've listened to:

Energy Encore--good WAF, price. Rather bright or something. Good for the $$, but not sold.

Totem Dreamcatchers--liked (only heard stereo). Dealer price over budget

Pinnacle quantums--nice vocals, ugly package (silver bad WAF).

Mirage Omnisats--great soundstage, only fair sound for the $$. Over budget and dealer has monopoly. Small!

Boston Acoutics (mainly CR65) -- clean, decent but not thrilling. I'm not sure why.

I've read a lot here, but it was tough to compare with these, so I'd really appreciate your thoughts. TIA!

·
Registered
605 Posts
rocketman063,

Welcome to the Forum! :)

There are some really very good systems out there in your budget IMO if you are ok with going internet direct.

I would start with some of the offerings from Ascend and Rocket as they seem to be at the top when it comes to speaker systems in your budget.

I have a Rocket ELT system here and they are IMO one of the best systems under 1K on the market today. www.********** is offering the bundle pack that you talked about at $1250.00 that includes the Denon 1804. I definitely think you will be hard pressed to find a system that works as well as this one at that price.

The ELT system is definitely voiced brighter than the Rocket line closer to the voicing of the Ascend products. The ELT Center speaker is the GEM in the system as I'm sure you have read. It does an excellent job IMO with clarity and detail when it comes to movies. The ELT mains are also very capable speakers when it comes to music. They rolloff pretty fast under 70hz so you will definitely need to use the sub when listening to music. The ELT sub is very capable for it's price as well. I would suggest giving the ELT speaker package a try as you won't find anything that will touch it locally IMO. Good luck with your decision! :cool:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.